Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18719 08/13/04 03:57 AM
Promo The Robot Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Strum:
Actually, I prefer "bronze" age for the pre-1977 period. The dark ages happened in '84 - '86.
Agreed, although I might bump the end of the Dark Ages out later than 1986. What happened in (or around) 1986 that would mark the end of the Dark Ages? I was thinking maybe the (insufferably uninteresting wink ) upsurge of fighting games, but Street Fighter II didn't happen 'til 1991.

I know I was playing almost exclusively pinball games from the time I discovered them (about 1986) through Mortal Kombat 2 (1993).

PtR

Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18720 08/13/04 04:18 AM
Nathan Strum Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Promo The Robot:
Agreed, although I might bump the end of the Dark Ages out later than 1986. What happened in (or around) 1986 that would mark the end of the Dark Ages?
I guess I was thinking more of videogames in general regarding the dark ages, since the NES was introduced in the US in '86, and started to pull the console industry out of the toilet.

I still don't think that arcades ever emerged from the dark ages. Especially if you go visit any of them today. Maybe (maybe) when GameWorks started opening arcades there was a faint glimmer of life. I know fighting game fans disagree, but I ain't one of 'em. :p

AtariAge Blog
Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18721 08/13/04 06:29 AM
Godozo Offline
My Guestimation of ages for Arcade (Non-home) Video Games:

1. Prehistory: Before Gunfighter
  2. Iron Age: Gunfighter - Space Invaders
  3. Bronze Age: Space Invaders - Mid 1979
  4. Golden Age: Mid 1979-83
  5. First Dark Age: 1983- Street Fighter (the original)
  6. Silver Age: Street Fighter - Mortal Combat 3/the umpteenth Street Fighter Lame Regurgitation
  7. Sunset Age: Until now.

With home video games and computers now ubiquitous and arcade games going more towards imitation and emulation of real world actions (the Dancing Series games is a specific example), I feel the arcade has become an anachronism. Everything creative is being done for the home market, the arcade will become more a place for those games which you can't play well in front of the TV.

This is only a practice life.
Your real life starts in 15 minutes.
Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18722 08/13/04 07:51 AM
Nathan Strum Offline
Here's my take on the ages...

1. Stone Age: 1971 - 1973
    Computer Space through the Pong-clone era.
  2. Bronze Age: 1974 - 1976
    Tank through the classic black & white game era.
  3. Iron Age (or maybe Space Age is more apropos): 1977 - 1979
    Space Wars, Space Invaders, Asteroids, and all of the other space games that rode the tide of the post Star Wars sci-fi renaissance.
  4. Golden Age: 1980 - 1983
    Pac-Man through the crash.
  5. Dark Ages: 1984 - 1987
    The crash through Street Fighter.
  6. Silver Age: 1988 - 1993
    The heyday of fighting games (if you're into that sort of thing, if you're not, this is still the dark ages wink )
  7. Tin Foil Age: 1994 - present
    You ever chew on tin foil? 'Nuff said. :dead:

AtariAge Blog
Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18723 08/13/04 06:30 PM
Marchalis Offline
While I think the general spate of fighting games is a cheap cop out for good design and gameplay mixed with high-tech, there were a few that set the standard. Street Fighter - and these are all my opinions - was going good up to the Hyper Fighter and Mortal Kombat killed itself after MKII. Each sequel to Tekken surpasses the last and keeps the adrenalin flowing, although I'm still to get the hang of Tekken 4 (5?).

I think too that almost everywhere you turn, manufacturers crank out all sorts of fighting games in some effort to cash in or ride the wave that Capcom, Midway and Namco set in motion. This kinda thing is sure to stretch out the tin foil age longer than it ought to go.

Paper age, anyone?

Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18724 08/14/04 01:33 AM
Nathan Strum Offline
Copycat game design is hardly a new thing anyway. Pong was copied endlessly, as were Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and any other game that defined a particular genre.

What frustrates me, is that there's so few types of games now. In the early 80's, there were always new and different games to try out in the arcades. It was hard to get bored. Now it's either fighting games or racing games in most arcades. Nobody's willing to go out on a limb and try something radically different.

AtariAge Blog
Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18725 08/14/04 01:52 AM
Brian Kendig Offline OP
OP Offline
I saw a radially different game. It's upstairs at DisneyQuest.

I forget the name, but it's made by Sega. It's a table, about 5 feet long by 2.5 feet wide, consisting of five tubes in a row. A player stands at either end and has one button for each tube - a red light goes back and forth along each tube, and the player has to hit that tube's button when the light is in range to bounce it back at the other player. Kind of like one-dimensional Pong. Only there's a deep thumping soundtrack playing at the same time, and if you hit the red light right on a downbeat, it 'spikes' it at high speed towards the other player. When you have all five tubes in play at once, it can be a difficult game.

'Difficult,' not 'fun.'

I was curious enough about the game that I took the time to figure it out. Everybody else seems to take a passing interest in it, punch a couple of buttons, fail to figure out what effect they have on what's going on, and walk away.

Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18726 08/14/04 04:31 AM
EvilWraith Offline
There are different genres these days. It just really depends where you are in the country to find them.

Sound/Action - DDR, BeatMania, IIDX, DrumMania, MTV Drum Generator(or whatever that exceedingly loud game is), Pump It Up

Racing - Initial D, the Rush series, the Cruisin' series

Good, Old-fashioned Skill - Skeeball, etc....

Shooters(Gun) - Silent Scope, the myriad Midway rail shooters

Shooters - Gunbird 2, Guwange, a lot more I can't recall at the moment.

Interactive/Motion Capture - MoCap Boxing, Police 911, Mazar(swordfighting game)

Fighters - Tekken Series, Virtua Fighter Series, Soul Calibur II

There is still fun to be had at your local Arcade/Fun Center. You just have to look a little harder to find it.

Signature stuck - wait 10 minutes for message.
Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18727 08/14/04 01:08 PM
A
anarcade vet Offline
A
Perhaps 'Steroids Age' for most of today's games would be more appropiate.

All flash & sizzle, no steak.
Huge, impressive 3D graphics and bitmaps, no real stamina.

Re: "Golden age" of arcade games? #18728 08/19/04 03:51 AM
M
Mel Offline
M
I just got back from the beach and the arcades on the board walk sucked. Nothing but shooters driving and dancing games. There was not a street fighter machine to be found. I cried.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (R. Belmont, Darkstar, 1 invisible), 65 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,818
Posts116,101
Members4,915
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020