Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20436 01/28/05 08:53 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I ordered a Mac Mini 1.42 to use as a Game Box hooked to my TV set (s-video) Coming from windows I use Mame 0.90.

1. does MacMame simulate the screens like Windows Mame using the GPU (ie Directx to emulate triad,etc)

2. I noticed that the version for the mac is .87 or .88 VS .90 on the windows, is it behind due to code issues or lack of maintainers?

3. Will my collection of Zipped .089 roms work? I have the entire 0.89 Windows roms in zip format including the picture files etc.. can I just dump those into a ROM folder, images to a snapshot folder etc..?

4. I am buying a trackball for tempest etc.. and I have a Microsoftgamepad which is usb and works on my PC, can I use these for MAc Mame?

5. What kind of performance from a 1.42G4 Mini should I expect VS my 2.4Ghz P4 desktop I currently own? will it run all games ( I know stuff like NFL blitz will not since its slow on my
PC also)

6. The Svideo adapter how is it? any reviews on Mame and a Mini using regular TV sets.

The MAme in my opinion looks like the killer app for the Mini and is the main reason why I bought one, slightly bigger than the Gamecube yet 2D goodness for those tired of 3d games. I wonder if MacMame will get even more support now that the Mini will probably attract Windows Mame users to the Mac platform. I am totally new to Macs. 4 more weeks before mines arrives.

V
V
Okay...let's see how much of this I can tackle. Our regulars will correct me on whatever I mess up... smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoop2004:
1. does MacMame simulate the screens like Windows Mame using the GPU (ie Directx to emulate triad,etc)
I guess MacMAME's equivalent to this is that it can use an OpenGL plug-in to stretch the video to full-screen (I highly suggest using it). I prefer it to the Windows port of MAME's resolution switching.

I'm not sure Windows MAME uses the GPU that much. MAME is mostly CPU-intensive.

Quote:
2. I noticed that the version for the mac is .87 or .88 VS .90 on the windows, is it behind due to code issues or lack of maintainers?
The simple explanation is that MacMAME comes out less often that the Windows "main" version. It's a port of the "main" version and needs extra work.

Quote:
3. Will my collection of Zipped .089 roms work? I have the entire 0.89 Windows roms in zip format including the picture files etc.. can I just dump those into a ROM folder, images to a snapshot folder etc..?
Pretty much unless ROMs were changed between 0.87 (MacMAME's current version) and 0.89...those may be broken. MacMAME looks for ROMs in the Documents->MacMAME->ROMs folder of your home directory. Just put the ZIP files there. Snapshots need to be in a IMAGES.ZIP in the Documents->MacMAME->Screenshots folder.

Quote:
4. I am buying a trackball for tempest etc.. and I have a Microsoftgamepad which is usb and works on my PC, can I use these for MAc Mame?
As long as they're USB they should be fine. Check out the controller setup stuff in the MacMAME preferences first.

Quote:
5. What kind of performance from a 1.42G4 Mini should I expect VS my 2.4Ghz P4 desktop I currently own? will it run all games ( I know stuff like NFL blitz will not since its slow on my PC also)
It should be on-par or maybe a little slower, I guess. I mostly play the classics, though. The newest games I like (the Metal Slug series) play great on my 667Mhz PowerBook with the OpenGL plug-in.

Just make sure you have enough RAM. The 256MB bundled with the Mac Mini is just not enough. Get 512MB or 1GB, especially if you're going to play bigger games.

Quote:
6. The Svideo adapter how is it? any reviews on Mame and a Mini using regular TV sets.

I use S-Video output on my PowerBook a lot and it looks pretty good for movies and such. Yours should be pretty much the same (you got the DVI-to-S-Video adapter from Apple, right?). The MacMAME userinterface likes to be run at no smaller than the 800x600 resolution so you can see the entire panel but that'll look OK over S-Video I think.

MacMAME plays great on my mini 1.42 to my TV through s-video. My mini has only 256 MB of RAM and has no problems. I play just older games (through 1990) so that might not work as well for newer games.

USB controller support is spotty so I don't know if yours will work. A lot of people build or buy arcade controls that emulate keyboards.

Quote:
Originally posted by Voch
Pretty much unless ROMs were changed between 0.87 (MacMAME's current version) and 0.89...those may be broken.
Is there anywhere that shows a listing of changed and updated ROM files that need to be replaced in order to work with the current release version of MacMAME? Thanks.

Open MacMAME. Go to reports. Run a ROM audit.

Someone mentioned a website that listed ROM changes for MAME, but I don't have it bookmarked. Try running a message board search.

Actually, that's something that should be added to the Wiki, since it's not pointing to the ROMs themselves, but rather to a site (or sites) with information on changes.

AtariAge Blog
W
W

=will=
E
E
I'm running Mac OSX on a IBook laptop with a 300mgz G3 and 160mg ram. Almost everything runs fine. Of course, If I start three or four other apps while Mame is running, the whole computer freezes up, but if you wait, it will come out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,933
Posts117,405
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com