Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
L66 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello,

AO2 looks pretty cool, some SPCs like Metroid3 play now as well. However, there are some problems with SPC playback not seen in the previous AO:

-SPC effects are not played back correctly
-SPC tone heigt is not right for all instruments.
-Some instruments are way to loud at the start of an SPC, and then quickly the volume decreases. Very strange.
-Some SPCs still do not play correctly or at all, like Final Fantasy 2 (FF4).
[EDIT: Some additions]
-Volume of instruments fluctuating in some songs.
-Sometimes distorted sound

It seems that a nasty bug sneaked in[/EDIT]

I've also tried some gameboy stuff, witch plays back perfectly.

Richard, if you want I can send you SPCs that have clearly hearable problems. And of course thanks for this nice 2.0 version smile

Quote:
Originally posted by L66:
-SPC effects are not played back correctly
-Some instruments are way to loud at the start of an SPC, and then quickly the volume decreases. Very strange.
I suspect that all of the above are due to the volume normalisation code, which is on by default and which cannot be turned off at the moment. I'll add the ability to switch that in the next build.

AO1 used to precalculate a few seconds of audio before deciding on a normalisation pitch. I will implement that again.

S
S
Like I said on Emuscene, 2.0b1 is fantastic. And I LOVE the new look. Not only can you fit larger file names into the app without garbage appearing, but it better fits with the OS X environment. I've always loved brushed metal anyway. wink

One question I have, though: What exactly are "nested" zip/rar files? I tried a few SNES/Genesis .rar files from zophar.net and it can't open them, saying they are nested. Some of these include the Star Fox 2 Beta, Bart's Nightmare, Shining Force, Virtua Racing Deluxe, and a couple others. I mean it's not a huge deal, since I can just unzip these and then zip them again with DropZip, but it is a question I'm curious about.

L
L66 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
Quote:
[b]-SPC effects are not played back correctly
I suspect that all of the above are due to the volume normalisation code, which is on by default and which cannot be turned off at the moment. I'll add the ability to switch that in the next build.

AO1 used to precalculate a few seconds of audio before deciding on a normalisation pitch. I will implement that again. [/b]
The "soft volume" in AO1 also had to be set to 50%, higher caused disforming in some SPCs. Anyway, it seems that AO2 calculates volume per instrument and does not handle those correctly in the whole song, causing very strange effects like instruments that fade away, and 'background' instruments that increase in volume until you don't hear the rest of the intruments anymore.

[EDIT]
But could the volume measuring thing also change the pitch of the instruments? I have some songs here you can hear that the tone height is not correct, and some that doesn't play back slight tone height effects that should be there. Also all SPC are played at a slightly lower tone height in AO2 as in AO1. Not that that's a problem, but quite remarkable. Did you use another SPC 'engine'?[/EDIT]

I was actually just about to make the same request. If RB could just quickly add a button which turns off amplification, since I too get some music that is insanely loud at the start and then totally quiet, and until the export song is implemented again, I will be using WireTap to get the sound, but can't with that few loud seconds.

So pretty much I am hoping there can be a very quick release which adds an option to turn off amplification and maybe to, like AO1, run it as loud as possible. Thanks in advance.

The problem with the Final Fantasy IV (FF II in US) SPC is not related to volume correction. The same problem was present in the old AO; it seems to actually skip every other note event.

What you hear seems to be half of the music, almost as if the SPCs are interlaced, but are being played non-interlaced. I definitely think this is its own problem, unrelated to the other problems mentioned here. You may want to have a look at this specific SPC collection because other ones may suffer the same bizarre problem. This is the only SPC collection I have ever encountered that does this, though.

One last thing - this collection plays fine in other players, such as PSFPlay, so the SPCs seem to be OK.

V
V
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Boldt:
The problem with the Final Fantasy IV (FF II in US) SPC is not related to volume correction. The same problem was present in the old AO; it seems to actually skip every other note event.

What you hear seems to be half of the music, almost as if the SPCs are interlaced, but are being played non-interlaced. I definitely think this is its own problem, unrelated to the other problems mentioned here. You may want to have a look at this specific SPC collection because other ones may suffer the same bizarre problem. This is the only SPC collection I have ever encountered that does this, though.

One last thing - this collection plays fine in other players, such as PSFPlay, so the SPCs seem to be OK.
I've expierenced this with Final Fantasy Adventure GBS collection...

Quote:
Anyway, it seems that AO2 calculates volume per instrument and does not handle those correctly in the whole song
Nope. AO currently just tries to play the song as loud as it can, and reduces volume if clipping will occur. There is no code for individual instruments; it's everything in one go.

...and I've just extended that so that it will precalculate the first few seconds first, which seems to be a good compromise (it prevents a rapid volume fall off right away, anyway). But I'll add the ability to switch normalising off altogether too.

L
L66 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
...and I've just extended that so that it will precalculate the first few seconds first, which seems to be a good compromise (it prevents a rapid volume fall off right away, anyway). But I'll add the ability to switch normalising off altogether too.
That's quickly done smile . I still think you have to hear some SPCs, since I don't think this is the cause for every glitch. Would you mind if I mail them to you?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  R. Belmont, Richard Bannister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (AJR), 47 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020