Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22229 01/14/06 07:45 AM
X
xamenus Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Seeing that Nestopia is an excellent emulator and appears to be pretty much complete emulation-wise, I'm thinking you might want to consider adding some new features to compete with VirtuaNES.

The following are some features that VirtuaNES supports but that Nestopia does not, quoted from this thread . I don't necessarily want all of these features myself, but they might widen your user base.

Quote:
- Multiple language support (via plugins)
- 192kHz sound option (however useful, it's there anyway)
- Channel Equaliser
- Lowpass filters
- Adjustable Scanlines (0-100%)
- Ability to set refresh rate along with resolution
- Support for some additional special controllers

I hope for complete emulation of Mappa #16. smile

-SD Gundam Gaiden - Knight Gundam Monogatari 2 - Hikari no Kishi (J) [Mapper #16]

The game starts and the game crashes in the middle of opening.

It works perfectly in VirtuaNES.

It is Movie until Gundam crashes by Nestopia.

http://harry1980.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sd2.mpg

It doesn't crash in VirtuaNES and Nintendulator. mad

As for sound, I recommend using a sinc-based band-limited approach , which gives you full quality at 44 kHz without any reason to use a higher sample rate, and gives you frequency equalization for free. I can provide further help in understanding how to do this and implement it efficiently. I realize that many people want to write and understand their own code, so my Blip_Buffer library isn't suitable. (Yeah, I know, I'm always talking about band-limited sound synthesis)

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Hey, keep talking, because it sounds great smile

The competition started.

http://virtuanes.s1.xrea.com:8080/boyaki/

M
M
Since when is emulator development a contest?

Engrish translation of forum link . What's the point of two (or more) authors trying to make two (or more) emulators with identical feature sets? The real quality of an emulator, in my opinion, is the quality of the internal design and source code. Without this, an emulator will have a short life span, or be overly buggy or expensive to maintain. With this, problems can be resolved with ease.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
blargg: aren't you also writing another NES emulator? smile NEStopia seems pretty hard to beat on code quality[1], but most of the others seem to be closed-source so that's hard to judge.

[1] It badly needs better code *documentation* though, especially in terms of "how do I port this thing?" The answer, "superclass all this stuff and call me in the morning", isn't immediately obvious.

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
It badly needs better code *documentation* though, especially in terms of "how do I port this thing?" The answer, "superclass all this stuff and call me in the morning", isn't immediately obvious.
Yeah, I'm kinda guilty of that one. But I'd rather write good code and not comment it than write bad code and then comment it. :duh:

As I've said before though, anyone who is interested in porting it, just ask for help and I'll gladly provide info on the ins and outs of the API. I know how frustrating it can be sometimes to work against an undocumented API. The 7zip library was one of those that had me banging my head on my keyboard a few times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (Reznor007, hap, Pernod, R. Belmont, Dullaron), 18 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,102
Posts119,263
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com