Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I want the function to replace cart(image) in the state of power ON (RAM of cart that previously does load is not cleared).

The emulator in which this function is provided is only MacFC now. eek

MacFC.
http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~nekocan/group_lab/folder_macfc/ht_macfc.html

The family computer user in Japan enjoyed some tips by the thing (RAM of the main body is not cleared) to insert a game that pulled out Cart with the power supply of the main body of the family computer turned on and was different.

It is a tip that uses the bug of the family computer.

I think it is wonderful when the emulator can simulate doing with a real machine.

A famous tip is to enjoy stage 256 with Super Mario Brothers.

http://blog.cassper.net/?eid=126417

1. ROM of Super Mario and tennis is prepared.

2. Super Mario is played.

3. The power supply of the machine pulls out Super Mario's ROM while turned on.

4. ROM of tennis is opened and the soft reset button is pushed.

5. Tennis is played.

6. Only the number of stages where it wants to play by Super Mario pushes the UPkey on.

7. ROM of tennis is pulled out.

8. Super Mario's ROM is inserted and it soft resets it.

9. It pushes the button to start while pushing A button.

There is a tip that replaces the Musashi no Ken with ROM of Hydlide Special,
too.

I want you to correspond by all means because it is a famous tip though is a
foolish function.

(My English is unskilled. I'm sorry. sick )

J
J
This is what I like to call "warts and all" emulation.

This kind of thing is increasing in popularity in console emulation. The 2600 scene has discussed emulating "frying" games, which involves moving the 2600 system's switches into positions which cause the systems power to switch into an "inbetween" electrical state. This causes all sorts of strange things to happen in the games.

Sometimes you could get similar effects to 2600 frying with the NES by getting a game with a dirty cart slot connection to boot. Graphics will be messed up, but sometimes when the game is playable, it is playable in a buggy yet fun way. Nobody has emulated this aspect of the NES yet.

However, there is extensive work being done on accurately emulating the actual NTSC video that comes out of a real NES system, so that if both were hooked up to the same TV capture card, the resulting video would be identical, dot crawl, ghosting, aspect ratio distortion, color distortion, scanline distortion, and all!

Personally, I'd love to see your recommended feature implemented, but don't be surprised if the emulator developers have higher priority tasks at hand.

OP Offline
Thank you for the message.

I did not think that it was interested excluding the Japanese because it thought
this tip to be able to do only with Famicom.

The kid's in Japan of 1980's was crazy about this tip. smile

This tip was done, and there was a kid's who had broken cart, too. wink

It is very famous because it is possible to have introduced it also with the
Video Game magazine.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I love that kind of stuff. I never abused the NES that way, but of course everyone "fried" the 2600 smile

J
J
As the hardware and software gets more complicated, the equivalent of frying simply causes the game to crash. Even on the NES, it was difficult to get a game with a dirty connection to boot or do anything more interesting than have corrupted graphics. But I remember getting some interesting results with my NES as a child.

I remember somebody turning the NES into a theremin-like instrament by removing a game cart while the system was still running and then moving their hands near the cart connector. Apparently it causes strange musical sometimes because moving your hands near the cart connector causes random values to be read. Does anybody have a link to whatever NES site it was that was talking about this?

G
G
My buddy used to have an NES that was so unstable that many games would glitch and do all kinds of strange things. The best of witch was being able to get Link to walk around in the black strip on top of the screen in the Legend of Zelda when he should have caused the map to scroll up a screen.

Emulating the unreliablity of the early NES production runs would be fun.

Heh, how the hell do you reverse-engineer what happens when you do this? This is about the most hard-core reverse-engineering I can imagina (and I never imagined it until you mentioned it). It'd require careful study of many esoteric electronic subjects and lots of trial-and-error. Talk about taking emulation to the next level!

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
My guess is in the 2600 case it just restarts without actually resetting the processor, so the game's in it's main loop but it's init routines haven't been called and maybe RAM's in a slightly dodgy state.

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 23 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,237
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com