Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 #22982 10/07/06 09:32 AM
P
pentium5dot1 Offline
P
Setting the target frame rate to 59 is considered a dirty hack, so we need to investigate more. (I think some attempts were made a few versions back at fixing this kind of problem.)

The neutrality of this username is disputed ...
Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 #22983 10/07/06 06:08 PM
T
Trebor Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by otomo:
...I can confirm that this is/was an issue on ati cards as the 9800pro this computer has that showed the same behavior.
I'm an owner of a Radeon 9800 Pro and never experienced the stated issue. My computer has never shown the described behavior with any version of Nestopia.

I'm not denying there may be a bug for some, but the factor is definitely not just 'ati cards' or/and '9800pro'.

-Trebor

Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 #22984 10/07/06 07:11 PM
O
otomo Offline
O
I stand corrected, this computer *showed* that problem before.

Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 #22985 10/07/06 09:40 PM
Q
qw3rty Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
Ok I just tried to replicate the problem, and now it doesn't exist, although I spent a good hour last week trying to fix it when it was happening and I know I had the vsync setting as "application controlled" then. I thought that perhaps it was because I was using the new style nvidia control panel (slow and a bit buggy) but I switched back to classic and the framerate at fullscreen in Nestopia was still correct and I am using the "application controlled" setting for vsync. Now the only way I can reproduce the problem is to turn off vsync completely in the nvidia drivers, but then it's not really a problem, you would expect the framerate to be off although I thought Nestopia would have a framerate limiter (I get 300fps or so when vsync is forced off in the nvidia driver, if I disable the Hqx filter, my framerate is close to 1000fps). This may be a problem with the nvidia driver only and not Nestopia.

Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 #22986 10/07/06 09:42 PM
Z
zack Offline
Z
So what's the OS u guy using ??

I've notice the vsync function of nestopia 1.34 didn't work in win9x with lastest(but old) ati driver.

But I think it should work fine in winXP.

Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 #22987 10/07/06 09:49 PM
Q
qw3rty Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
XP Pro. Nvidia doesn't even support Win9x in their latest drivers anymore.

Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 [Re: Marty] #24292 10/28/06 11:28 PM
D
Damocles Offline
D
Originally Posted By Marty
Ok, so given you're absolutely sure these are your driver settings:

could you post of a capture of the logfile (enable in Preferences) after you've gone fullscreen and started a game?

I too am having a case of minor overspeed in full screen mode with VSync on (usually about 75 FPS when speed is supposed to be 60 FPS) and I am suspecting that my system may have for some reason refresh rate override turned on. I have NVidia card and I am using latest drivers with similar control panel as shown in screenshot included in the quote. However, despite my attempts I have failed to find the options for setting or disabling refresh rate overrides.

This is why I would like to know, where those options can be found in control panel for NVidia drivers so that I can check the matter by myself. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Problem with vsync and nvidia drivers in v1.34 [Re: Damocles] #24297 10/29/06 05:24 AM
D
Damocles Offline
D
Concerning my last post, I already found out that NVidia disabled certain features from the control panel in later versions of drivers and that they have to be enabled through modifying register data and/or with additional software (such as NVTweak) in order for them to show on control panel.

Refresh rate override options apparently belong to this group and I managed to access them with the latest stable release of NVTweak and found out that override options were actually disabled. Of course, that explains why Nestopia was only program with visible problems with VSync (for example, pSX, MAME and PC version of Guilty Gear X2 #Reload seemed to work fine with VSync on) on my system.

So, it appears that at least in some cases problems with timing when using VSync in full screen mode might be problems with emulator, not with system or graphics card settings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Darkstar, Olivier Galibert, reenigne), 125 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,673
Posts113,799
Members4,852
Most Online418
Aug 14th, 2019