Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24260 10/24/06 05:37 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone,
My first post!!!
Ive recently fallen in love with macmame and mac's in general i only switched at the start of this year.

I just have a question regarding in game artwork. I cant for the life of me be able to display it.
Im using OS X 10.4.8, and macmame 0.103u2 on an ibook g4 (res 1024x768 fullscreen)

I noticed in my macmame user data folder there wasnt an "artwork" folder so i put on in and copied the artwork files in there, but it still refuses to display ingame art (ive also checked enable artwork, in macmame).

If you need any other info please let me know cause i really really want to play bubble bobble and asteroids with the art!!!

Finally, ive also noticed that macmame hasnt been updated in ages, are there any links to newer versions??

Thanx
G

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The new high-res artwork you probably found for downloading only works with MAME 0.108 and later. MacMAME hasn't been updated to that level yet.

M
OP Offline
M
Oh Really???? Any ETA on the next release????

Thanx for the quick reply!!

Use SDLMAME instead

M
OP Offline
M
my experience with regards to unix and linux is pretty much zero.

if i want to use sdlmame without compiling etc, can i just grab an optimized build of sdlmame for the g4 processor?

also is macmameinfox the best frontend for this????
i pretty much want to be able to view all my extra mame stuff, like pics, overlays, music, etc!!!

thankyou

Yeah, there's a thread on the board indicating where to get the latest rev. I'm in the same boat as you. Newest rev precompiled for G4 is .109. I just need to download the hi-res artwork now. Another shocker is that hiscores.dat has been deprecated, so say goodbye to your high scores if you have any in games that don't have the new save state feature or use nvram.

Oh, and MacMAMEInfoX is the dog's chestnuts to be sure.

Last edited by seanraaron; 10/29/06 05:01 AM.

Sean Aaron
Hmmm, I've downloaded the new artwork files and it's still not happening for me. I'm using 10.4.8 on an iBook G4 1.33GHz, pre-compiled SDLMAME .109 and the latest MacMAMEInfoX (.74?). I'm using MacMAMEInfoX to set prefs and have OpenGL radio button selected, use full screen, allow MAME to change screen resolution ticked, Enable Artwork and all tickboxes under artwork selected.

Any advice? I've created an SDLMAME.ini file in the SDLMAME directory (in my case /Applications/Games/SDLMAME) and set values for various things like ROMs, etc., but I think that MacMAMEInfoX overrides this file, right? If not, then will having spaces in the paths (unavoidable since the MacMAME user files directory is MacMAME User Data) render them invalid?

Sean Aaron
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Try putting quotes around any path with spaces in it, and try using absolute paths rather than ~ or environment variables.

I think I've found the problem. The Artwork .zip files I downloaded seem to be incomplete/corrupt. I'm unable to unzip any of them. I've deleted them and will try downloading again. I also read the FAQ about the new in-game menu as some of these seem to contain more than one item.

I also deleted the .ini file as it looks like MacMAMEInfoX should work fine without it. Interestingly, despite hiscore.dat not being supported, some games seem to still recognise it -- either that or they were storing scores in NVRAM and were put into hiscore.dat for no reason?

I'm quite pleased with the behaviour matching that of the PC in regards to the pause function, which is something that never seemed to work very well in MacMAME, e.g. I'd have to hit ESC more than once and the game would seem to take awhile to get back to full speed.

Sean Aaron
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, there were some games with NVRAM saves that were also in hiscore.dat for unknown reasons (e.g. the Williams stuff like Defender & Joust).

Make sure you're getting the artwork from: http://www.mameworld.net/mrdo/mame_artwork.html

which is now the official page for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (dormml, belegdol), 22 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,990
Posts118,128
Members5,005
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com