Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
ehm... it's not that you can reverse engineer something simply concentrating a lot, or praying...

could you provide hi-def pics and description of the 64dd hardware? or even better a detailed readme, as asked by arbee?

that would be a good start...

EDIT: maybe I misunderstood your post... in that case, I hope I didn't sound harsh in my reply.

Last edited by etabeta78; 05/14/07 06:28 AM.
H
H
Is a console available to send to Guru?

64DD system is on the MESS dumping wish list but anytime I find one on ebay they beyond my budget.

I read this post twice and it just appears that all the carts are secured (a nice thing, but mute point with out a box).

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I have the BIOS for the 64DD, but it's worthless without knowing what's in the box. Presumably since the BIOS exists somebody's had one apart?

H
H
Ah gotcha. So we really do just need the write-up, pictures, Guru guide dealio...Which unless we can find where that bios came from then we still need a box...sigh...

I
I
I had a quick google the one (possibly) useful page I found was an IGN faq of all things.

http://uk.ign64.ign.com/articles/071/071383p1.html

I also a guide to the n64 hardware (for sysinfo links and anyone interested)
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.white-tower.demon.co.uk/n64/

M
M
Originally Posted By Ian Knowles
I also a guide to the n64 hardware (for sysinfo links and anyone interested)
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.white-tower.demon.co.uk/n64/

Not for nothing, but both pages simply parrot back the N64 whitepapers that were published around the same time that the console (or peripheral)came out. In the case of the first link, I'm pretty sure that IGN are just saying what Nintendo told them to say. In the case of the second link, anyone who's worked on the N64 hardware can see it for the marketing hooey it is.

I
I
Fair enough I should have probably read more than a sentence or two before posting them

I
I
To redeem myself for shoddy googling:

Pictures of the insides
http://64dd.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=3&post_id=2871#forumpost2871

Barcode claims to know how to dump the carts and apparently has a devkit, ask moogly if this is nonsense or not
http://64dd.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=284&forum=1

M
M
Barcode claims to know how to dump the carts and apparently has a devkit, ask moogly if this is nonsense or not
http://64dd.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=284&forum=1

He's using a lot of highfalutin technical mumbo-jumbo - I don't know why; to feel special, I suppose - but technically speaking it's a sound theory.

The expansion connector on the bottom of the N64 is precious little other than a duplicate of the cartridge slot; if I had a spare Nintendo 64 and new which direction to plug the board in, I would actually try plugging in a case-less cartridge board into it to see if the N64 will boot off of it. I would be extremely unsurprised if it did; that's pretty much the way the Doctor V64 works, all the small intermediary device does is pass the appropriate PI signals up to the CIC chip on the cart you have plugged in rather than to the expansion (aka cart1) slot.

The strange thing about the guy's post is that it almost seems like he doesn't know what DMA is, what with him talking about how only the 64DD can be accessing the bus when it's reading off of the disc. At any rate, the general sequence of events is:

1) Isolate the code in a cartridge that supports interfacing to the 64DD.
2) Put that code inside of code of your own design that can run standalone.
3) Build or procure a flash cartridge that plugs into the top cartridge slot, containing that standalone program and enough free space to store all or most of one side of a 64DD disc.
4) The aforementioned program should, when run, initialize the disc and then step across each logical block of the disc, either copying or DMAing it into either RDRAM or directly into the flashcart.
5) Plug the 64DD in on the bottom.
6) Put the disc to dump in the 64DD.
7) Turn on the N64.
8) Wait.
9) Turn off the N64.
10) Plug the flashcart into a reader and dump out the data.
11) Tweak the program to dump any remaining blocks you couldn't fit on the cart, re-flash, thern go to step 5.

Wash hands, wipe hands on pants. Simple.

M
M

Pretty good, but someone should the guy a decent camera and then slap him upside the head for being such a horrible photographer. The only non-custom part that I was able to make out was the Mitsubishi M64436FP up top-center, and as usual, no amount of Googling shook loose a datasheet or even a description as to what it does. What I want to know is what the QFP chips with a decent pin count say.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,112
Posts119,414
Members5,024
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com