Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
OP Offline
M
Okay, so I'm just curious...

Are we likely to see a update to MacMAME anytime soon?

(Yes, I'm well aware of other varients of MAME for the Mac...)

MacMAME had a simplicity, as well as other coolness factors that I miss, and if memory serves, there were some nifty ideas on the horizon for my favorite app as well...

I'm not looking for a timeline, but I would like to know if a new release is in the works.

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
S
S
Yeah, I do miss the simplicity of the whole package. MacMAME was very handy for getting screenshots that I used to references for making sprites for some homebrew games. MAME OS X is just simply to play games with some very cool effects. Not bad in of itself but not ideal for sprite ripping.

I'd like to see a return of MacMAME as well. But I know Brad is extremely busy. There are all sorts of projects I've never been able to get around to either.

Which reminds me, MAMEBase... I still have your laserdiscs. Can you e-mail me when you get the chance?

Last edited by Nathan Strum; 06/19/07 04:22 PM.

AtariAge Blog
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
How exactly was MacMAME more useful for sprite ripping? If anything, the modern derivatives with MNG recording would seem more useful for that stuff, but I'm the guy who vomits every time I see an animated SF2 character in a signature.

S
S
How? MacMAME allows me to pause the game, move frame by frame with two key, and take a shot. I just take those pics and rip the sprites I need in Photoshop. It allows to use the cheats so I get to the particular animation or background without hassle of playing a game to get to a certain part of a game.

MAME OS X doesn't take screenshots nor have any useable cheats features.

I can't say anything about SDLMAME since I still have a great deal trouble trying to getting it to work in the first place.

MNGs? I suppose I can use that but don't you think using that for a two or four frame animation is bit too much?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
SDLMAME also lets you pause, frame advance, and take shots. Those are core features, and if MAME OS X doesn't have them hooked up it's to Dave's eternal shame ;-)

If you have trouble with SDLMAME, use a frontend like MacMAMEInfoX.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 06/20/07 12:33 AM.
D
D
I'm sure I deserve plenty of shame, but MAME OS X most definitely has pause and screen shots. Didn't know core MAME did frame advance. If it's one of the standard keys, it probably works. Try it. smile

A couple of general comments. Complaining that MAME OS X doesn't do this or that on the *MacMAME* forum is hardly a good way to let the right people know about the problem. MAME OS X is far from perfect, but it pretty much does everything *I* want MAME to do. This means I don't test every edge case. So if you find something wrong, by all means report it. Even if I don't get to it right way, I'll at least put it on the todo list. Andy maybe even someone else will get to it before I do.

Second, resurrecting MacMAME is going to be a *lot* of work. The core has changed so much that it's far from a trivial task. In fact, I'd say it's just not worth it. That work would, in my opinion, be better directed at improving MAME OS X. I did look at reviving MacMAME before starting out on my own, but I felt using newer OS X technologies would be worth the effort of re-writing. And last week at WWDC, I was somewhat vindicated in this decision. In case anyone missed it, 64-bit Carbon is dead. It's not happening. The way forward on OS X is Cocoa. 64-bit should produce a nice speed improvement, when we can take advantage of it.

-Dave

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Wow! I actually did miss that, and it's huge - assuming Leopard is the end of the line for 32-bit (Vista is, and MS isn't normally that forward-looking) that means rebuilding MacMAME shifts from "pretty undesirable" to "total waste".

D
D
Yeah, that was a big bombshell at the Stevenote. At last year's WWDC, they said 64-bit Carbon would be in Leopard. This year, they backpeddled and nixed it. There's still speculation on what exactly "Carbon" encompasses. Most likely, it's just the UI side of things. Here's a nice summary from all the bits inferred from carbon-dev:

http://www.carbondev.com/site/?page=64-bit+Carbon

-Dave

Online Content
I don't understand this move by Apple (especially as Carbon 64 seems to be essentially ready) and would like to know what Adobe, Microsoft etc. (or those software publishers that have written their software using Carbon) think of it.

BTW, Dave, is this you on the left?

So you are famous, after all smile

Last edited by Carbon; 06/20/07 02:36 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (mizapf, r09, Duke), 27 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,906
Posts117,011
Members4,984
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com