Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
R
a tales of goodtools fun

a while ago, I renamed a bad dump of JRA PAT with goodsnes
the renamed file: NTT JRA PAT - Wide Baken Taiyou (J) [!].sfc
then I wondered about that [!], what could it mean? bad dump?
I searched the docs and found the shocking truth: [!] Verified Good Dump

At that second I rofl'd under the table for a couple of minutes... why? because the rom has a bad checksum. A damned BAD CHECKSUM. A Verified Good Dump with a bad checksum? Such blatant amateurism is to be commonly expected from TOSEC, but from the glorious cowering? I lol'd.

I then realized the seriousness of goodstuff verifications and deleted the goodcrap for good.

Today JRA PAT is redumped and we have a real good dump with good checksum. Happy ending. grin

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Quote:
Such blatant amateurism is to be commonly expected from TOSEC

thank god there exists the smart nointro crew tired tired

Last edited by etabeta78; 07/04/07 03:58 PM.
S
S
Does not mean that other dats are without any errors - but in the case of No-Intro the stuff is all open and the errors can be quickly fixed. smile

Well, back on topic:
When will Nestopia with support for this be released? smile
At least: How does the current specification look like? Including the suggestions that were made.

Also you could include as many checksums as you like, when you make an option to turn individual checksums off in the emulator.

M
M
Considering that Marty is both the author of the format and the emulator, I can't imagine it taking long for Nestopia to support it once it's finalized.

My thoughts on checksums: The format should be flexible so newer fields can be added when needed. You can have CRC32, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, etc. Programs should ignore unknown fields (maybe give a warning message about the unknown field (since it might indicate a spelling error), but not remove it). This gives increased flexibility at the user's needs. The emulator probably should check at least CRC32 or MD5 (user configurable is optimal) on load so the user can be warned about corrupt files, though I can't imagine it preventing bad ROMs from being distributed since all the malicious users need to do is update the checksum fields.

M
M
I'm sorry to bump, but I'm wondering on weather there's been any news on this format?

I think I'm just a bit anxious to see a new and improved format laugh

M
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's coming along nicely even though I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of interest and feedback so far. Luckily, Bootgod is helping me out with the project and we're currently exploring ways to handle the extreme-case-carts. I'm also in the process of adding support for ROM sets and external databases using this format.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
If Bootgod is helping you out, I'm not sure you need other feedback smile

R
R
Way to go Marty & BootGod! You are the men!
I hope the external db can be a CM dat.

D
D
Originally Posted By MESSfan
I hope the external db can be a CM dat.

Can a CM dat contain INES / NES 2.0 / UNIF info for managing NES ROMs? Because of the issues specific to NES, you almost need a separate ROM tool for this console (like NSRT is for Super NES). I'd love a cross-platform NES-specific ROM tool that can scan ROMs, fix common bad dumps (like the infamous SMB pirate dump), convert between INES, NES 2.0, and UNIF, rename and sort ROMs, etc. Anyone here willing to take on such a project?

"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
NSRT is probably not the best example - it's intended primarily to make everyone turn their ROMs into a proprietary format so the author can then charge people to use them smile

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pernod, Reznor007), 22 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,235
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com