Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
R
CM dats can do anything db related, have support for filnames, size, hashes up to sha1, and any extra custom field.

D
D
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
NSRT is probably not the best example - it's intended primarily to make everyone turn their ROMs into a proprietary format so the author can then charge people to use them smile

Umm... I fail to see your point here. All NSRT does (and only if you tell it to) is use empty space in the 512-byte header at the start of .smc files to provide additional info, such as controllers used by the game. Although NSRT is closed source, the NSRT header is used by Snes9x and ZSNES, both of which are open source. Besides, the NSRT header is designed with backwards compatibility in mind, so any emulator or tool can still read ROMs with an NSRT header, whether the software knows anything about NSRT or not.

I don't think a piece of software has to be open source to be good. It can help, but it certainly isn't necessary.

"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
This is *not* an open vs. closed source thing. This is a "people attempting to make money off hobbyist emulation" thing (something which there's a depressing amount of lately). NSRT's original intent (I read this in a forum post by Nach) was to convert ROMs to a compressed proprietary format which they would then charge everyone money to use once it caught on. If that's no longer happening, wonderful.

That said, extending headers is still the wrong way. Just look at the title of this thread.

R
R
Indeed the whole point is to get rid of headers, not the opposite. Sir dvdmth, headers fail.

Last edited by MESSfan; 08/03/07 12:11 AM.
K
K
NSRT's original intent (I read this in a forum post by Nach) was to convert ROMs to a compressed proprietary format which they would then charge everyone money to use once it caught on. If that's no longer happening, wonderful.

You sure this wasn't a joke post? Can't imagine Nach doing something like that...

D
D
NSRT's original intent (I read this in a forum post by Nach) was to convert ROMs to a compressed proprietary format which they would then charge everyone money to use once it caught on. If that's no longer happening, wonderful.

Citation? There certainly isn't anything in the NSRT documentation that suggests anything like that. If Nach were trying to push a proprietary compression format, then why does NSRT support several different compression types? And if that were the original intent of NSRT, it certainly failed miserably because I never saw an SNES ROM that didn't use a standard compression format such as ZIP (and NSRT has been around for years).
That said, extending headers is still the wrong way. Just look at the title of this thread.

Frankly, I don't think this XML idea will succeed at replacing INES (as much as I'd love it to, I doubt it'll happen). What I like about NES 2.0 is its backwards compatibility, which is the primary reason why UNIF failed. A new format will not catch on unless it works with existing emulators and tools.

I like the idea being discussed here, and I sincerely hope it succeeds. At the same time, I don't think we shouldn't also try to help people fix their ROMs so that they will work in emulators that haven't been updated to use the XML data.

"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Backwards compatibility sucks. And NEStopia is much more powerful and influential than it used to be :-)

R
R
LMAO dvdmth! If it is supported by Nestopia and MESS, hell I would care about other emulators!

M
M
Originally Posted By dvdmth
What I like about NES 2.0 is its backwards compatibility, which is the primary reason why UNIF failed. A new format will not catch on unless it works with existing emulators and tools.

iNES, any version, only cares about giving the people games to play. The goal of the XML-based format is about preserving how the hardware actually works.

S
S
So... what happened to this idea? smile

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Cpt. Pugwash, Golden Child, Lord Nightmare, Revenant), 22 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,237
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com