Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32032 07/28/07 12:18 AM
M
mellery Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello, just wanted to say that I have a coleco total control 4 with all the game overlays. I plan on taking it apart and scanning the artwork, and will see about adding it to mess. I'll post more updates soon! I've also updated the page on the wiki to say that I have the system.

D
D
Interesting, but how will you add it to MESS? Did you dump any internal ROMs? What CPU does it use?

M
mellery Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It uses a TMS 1400, I'll have to find out how to dump it, and if its already supported by MESS. I've only found tms5501, 9901, 9902, and 3556.

There are only two other ICs on the board ones an sn75492n (LED display driver), the other is under the LED display and is also probably a driver.

If I can't figure it out i'll send the system to someone who can. But it looks simple enough where it would be fun for me to get it added to mess myself, with maybe a little help.

R
R
According to this page, the TMS1400 is a microcontroller in the same family as the TMS1000 (used in the Speak & Spell) and the TMS1100 (used in the Microvision). Dumping these is not trivial, but Lord Nightmare was working on it last I heard. Judge was also working on a CPU core. If these work out, expanding to the TMS1400 might not be too difficult, depending on how different they are.

I wasn't familiar with the Total Control 4, but found its Handheld Museum page. It has cartridges, but they actually just physically control a switch on the system circuit board. So all that would need to be dumped is the TMS1400.

Personally, I would love to see dedicated handhelds like this emulated. There are lots of them out there, and they've pretty much been ignored so far.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dorando, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,089
Posts119,135
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com