Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33295 09/04/07 05:03 PM
K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K
If you want some S98 files to play with, I've uploaded my whole collection (~215 sets, 60 MB) here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/282nuv

First of all, there should be a selectable FM to SSG volume ratio. PC-98 did allow changing that with a BIOS setting AFAIR, and some games were made with special values in mind.
Values I see used most in Hoot are fm_mix=0, ssg_mix=-18. AO is pretty close, but I think the SSG is a bit too loud.

Second of all, no S98V3 support, meaning about half of the available sets won't even load (everything using chips other than OPN/OPNA is no good). Here's more info on the format:
http://www.vesta.dti.ne.jp/~tsato/soft_s98v3.html

Thirdly, S98 files using OPN/OPNA should be rendered in 55466 Hz, those that use OPM in 62400 Hz. Those are native chip frequencies, not using them results in some aliasing artifacts.
Example:
The Girl Who Sings Love at The End of This World Yu-No (1996)(Elf).rar\yuno043.s98
www.snesmusic.org/hoot/yuno43_hoot.ogg
www.snesmusic.org/hoot/yuno43_ao.ogg

Furthermore, something's seriously fucked up with OPNA sets that use Rhythm channel.
Example:
Chatty OPNA (1988)(System Sacom).rar\02_Opening1.s98
www.snesmusic.org/hoot/chatty02_hoot.ogg
www.snesmusic.org/hoot/chatty02_ao.ogg

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Fantastic. I've been (literally) waiting for a bug report of this quality for 2 years now. Do you have any other idols I can spit at in order to get more reports like this?

That said, the prognosis for major improvement on S98 is dicey - none of the docs are complete or fully match the files actually seen out in the field (these Japanese formats make the Amiga trackers look well organized). And my supply of helpful Japanese people is a little dry, although if Hoot plays them properly now (it didn't 3 years ago when I reversed the format) I'm on good terms with them :-)

K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hoot doesn't play S98 files (it can diskwrite them though).
S98 plugins (Winamp/Foobar/KBMedia) on that vesta page do (and they are about the same as what Hoot outputs, which really isn't all that strange considering all of them use cisc's FMGEN). There's a source code for it as well, so this should help at least a bit.
Also, the author of the plugin is pretty helpful and does speak decent english, so you might try contacting him (I guess you really should start with that, as the Winamp plugin source is mislinked. Though maybe KBMedia plugin source would suffice).

I'll try and check MODs as well. I have a few testcases ready here, few of them pretty nasty.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
MODs (from 4 to 16 channels) are in pretty good shape considering what a wreck the format is. I wrote it to be bug-for-bug compatible with the original 68000 Protracker code (ode2ptk plays properly backwards), and I had help from the UADE guys in terms of what semantics they use to detect Soundtracker vs Noisetracker vs Protracker (so Klisje Paa Klisje maintains the right tempo). The only major hole is on 15-instrument songs where there's no possible way to autodetect if the effects should be original or NT/PT compatible. UADE punts that to the user as a commandline switch - I need to expose that preference sometime in AO.

K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm pretty sure you don't support MODs that use memory leaks in the original Protracker to generate samples. No player does. smile

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, even UADE that uses a player running under emulation would have trouble with that I gather since it's not the exact original Protracker smile

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Any idea where to find the OPNA rhythm samples that all those plugins need? (Apparently nobody noticed that Jarek dumped the real ADPCM ROM out of that thing a while ago).

K
Knurek Offline OP
OP Offline
K

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Thanks. Ok, AO now incorporates the engine from the KBM plugin (the license translated as "use freely") and I've built-in the OPNA samples.

R
R
Can you repost your collection of S98s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  R. Belmont, Richard Bannister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,101
Posts119,255
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com