Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
OP Offline
N
I am using MESS to run a CoCo2 game for the purposes of coding a remake. The problem is, I can't get the graphics to be pixelated, it looks like there is filtering going on even though I have disabled bilinear with D3D, and even tried using GDI/DirectDraw. It's useless to use this for remake purposes if all of the ripped graphics look like a mangled JPEG. Please tell me there is some way to get pixel perfect graphics when emulating CoCo2. Thanks for your help.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Sure. Run in a window at original size. Also, screenshots taken via MESS's internal mechanism (F12) will be pixel-perfect regardless of the current video output settings.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 12/11/07 10:57 PM.
B
B
Gotta ask, what game are you remaking?

N
OP Offline
N
Quote:
Sure. Run in a window at original size.

Can you please detail step by step how to do this? I need specifics on the exact options to enable/disable, please.

Quote:
Also, screenshots taken via MESS's internal mechanism (F12)

F12 doesn't do anything for me. Going to 'Save Screenshot' on the menu saves a mangled image to snaps/.

These are my settings:

and this is the result:

Thanks for your assistance.

M
M
As the great Jamie Savage once said, "Well there's your problem!"

Whoever wrote the driver attempted to implement some sort of faux-NTSC filter that's sh**ting up the image, you'll have to get someone to edit the driver to output proper pixels.

At least, that's what it appears to be, if that's what the driver's saving with F12.

N
OP Offline
N
Quote:
Whoever wrote the driver attempted to implement some sort of faux-NTSC filter that's sh**ting up the image, you'll have to get someone to edit the driver to output proper pixels.

frown That doesn't sound very fixable, at least for me.

Quote:
At least, that's what it appears to be, if that's what the driver's saving with F12.
That screenshot was taken from the menu, I still can't get F12 to do anything. I assume the menu is calling the same save func.

Can anyone help me with the driver or offer any other possible solutions? I really want to code this remake, thanks again

Last edited by Nightfly420; 12/12/07 08:30 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted By Nightfly420
frown That doesn't sound very fixable, at least for me.

Speaking purely as a realist, if you have the coding ability to remake a game, you should at least give learning the MESS codebase a shot.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
to use F12 you have to press Scroll Lock to change the keyboard mode

Step by Step procedure: start CoCo2 and the game you want; when you want to take the screenshot, press Scroll Lock, then F12, then Scroll Lock again (to go back to the natural keyboard)...

N
OP Offline
N
Quote:
Speaking purely as a realist, if you have the coding ability to remake a game, you should at least give learning the MESS codebase a shot.
Coding the game will take enough time as it is, I really don't want to learn a new code base just so I can get a decent screenshot.

Quote:
Step by Step procedure: start CoCo2 and the game you want; when you want to take the screenshot, press Scroll Lock, then F12, then Scroll Lock again (to go back to the natural keyboard)...
Thank you for the specific information. I ran my ROM, hit scroll lock, then a little window popped up that said 'Full Emulation / UI Disabled', I then hit F12 a bunch of times, but nothing appeared in the snap\coco2 folder. I then hit F12 while toggling scroll lock multiple times and still got nothing. I feel we are getting closer to a solution, what am I doing wrong now?

Ok, I'll give a try here...

Try to use Direct Draw and enable the 'Switch Resolutions to Fit' option. It will produce the exact resolution for the system you're trying to run. But beware that your hardware may not work if the system refresh rate/resolutions were too low (ex: 320x200@60hz). If the system resolution is low, you may have to set a high refresh rate (70mhz/72mhz/75mhz) to enable your video card/monitor to get the correct resolution/aspect ratio (ex: 320x200@75). If it works, then all you need to do is to hit F12 and check your 'Snap' dir. If this one doesn't exist, create it and hit F12 again.

Hope it helps!
RColtrane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (crazyc, R. Belmont, 1 invisible), 57 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020