Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #379 04/16/05 07:53 AM
S
Servo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm trying to save screenshots with MacMess 0.95, and it doesn't seem to be working; all I get is the default beep sound, and the file doesn't save (no error message or anything is displayed). I'm running mac osx 10.3, and it doesn't matter where I try to save the file to (so I'm apparently not saving to a folder with no write permission or something). This occurs with all of the systems I've tried (atari 7800, atari 5200, ti-99/4a, and pc). I've tried searching for this problem, but can't come up with anything (all that's mentioned is how to save screenshots via command-g or the pull down menus). Mess is otherwise running fine, and I've even gotten this feature to work with the Windows version. Has anyone seen this and have any ideas, or can someone point me towards some useful resources? Thanks for any help...

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #380 04/16/05 11:59 AM
incog Offline
im guessing this is due to full keyboard emulation, press scroll lock to disable full keyboard emulation and then take your screenshot smile

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #381 04/16/05 06:49 PM
S
Servo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hmm, I tried that but doesn't seem to be it; This happens even if I hit esc to pause then select game->save screenshot from the pulldown menus. Oddly enough if I create a new folder on the save window that pops up that works fine, just saving the screenshot doesn't work.

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #382 04/18/05 11:10 AM
T
tlindner Offline
T
Darn. This was supposed to be a bug squashed in 0.95! frown A work around in to type command+F12. This will save a screen shot in the Screenshots folder in the MacMESS folder in your Documents folder.

BTW, MacMESS doesn't have a full/partial keyboard dichotomy. You're always in full keyboard mode and the Mac's command key is used to distinguish meta-commands.

tim lindner
tlindner@macmess.org
Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #383 04/19/05 03:45 AM
XulChris Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by tlindner:
BTW, MacMESS doesn't have a full/partial keyboard dichotomy. You're always in full keyboard mode and the Mac's command key is used to distinguish meta-commands.
I'm not familiar with mac keyboards, but aren't there command keys used in mess' mac emulation? Would it not make more sense to use the scrl-lock key?

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #384 04/19/05 08:14 AM
C
Colin Howell Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by XulChris:
Quote:
Originally posted by tlindner:
[b] BTW, MacMESS doesn't have a full/partial keyboard dichotomy. You're always in full keyboard mode and the Mac's command key is used to distinguish meta-commands.
I'm not familiar with mac keyboards, but aren't there command keys used in mess' mac emulation? Would it not make more sense to use the scrl-lock key? [/b]
My guess is that the MacOS APIs expect the Command key to be used for commands, and that using a nonstandard key like Scroll Lock would be problematic. It would certainly fly in the face of the user interface guidelines.

As for emulation of the old Macs found in MESS, they did not have an Alt key like modern Mac keyboards do, so I'd think that MacMESS maps the Alt key to the emulated system's Command key.

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #385 04/19/05 10:37 PM
R
Raphael Nabet Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Howell:
My guess is that the MacOS APIs expect the Command key to be used for commands, and that using a nonstandard key like Scroll Lock would be problematic. It would certainly fly in the face of the user interface guidelines.

As for emulation of the old Macs found in MESS, they did not have an Alt key like modern Mac keyboards do, so I'd think that MacMESS maps the Alt key to the emulated system's Command key.
Your first guess is correct. Old versions of MacMESS used to use Scroll Lock, but there were so many users having problems with this that I decided that there had to be another way.

You are incorrect in your second remark: old Macs did have an Alt key; it was the Ctrl key that they lacked.

Regards,

Raphael

Raphael Nabet

MESS developper
maintainer for the TI99, tutor, geneve, TI990, apexc, pdp1, lisa & concept drivers
co-maintainer for the macintosh driver
Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #386 04/20/05 07:05 AM
C
Colin Howell Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Raphael Nabet:

You are incorrect in your second remark: old Macs did have an Alt key; it was the Ctrl key that they lacked.
Heh, I knew I should have looked at an old keyboard to check. (The Alt key was known as "Option", but could be considered functionally equivalent.) Thanks for setting me straight.

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #387 04/21/05 04:17 AM
S
Servo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hmm, the command F12 workaround didn't seem to work either...

Re: Screenshots with MacMess 0.95 #388 04/23/05 12:13 PM
P
psa Offline
P
I have the same problem. Doesnt think there is a problem with the keyboard. I hit escape to paus the emulation. Then I choose "Game->Save Screenshot". I am allowed to name my screenshot, but I only get an "error" sound and nothing else happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Justin, R. Belmont, Praxis, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,782
Posts115,558
Members4,908
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020