Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Do regular keys work, and did you copy the new nstcontrols file to ~/.nestopia/?

M
M
I just noticed this too (I actually had time to play a game now...); I did copy the new nstcontrols before starting nst.

M
M
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Do regular keys work, and did you copy the new nstcontrols file to ~/.nestopia/?

Yes, regular keys work, i.e. I can press my A, B, select, start keys and they work. But none of the command shortcut keys work. I do have a ~/.nestopia/nstcontrols file, but it doesn't talk about those command keys (only the gameplay keys).

R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Ahh, yeah, I shipped the old 1.37 nstcontrols by accident. You can map the special keys in the UI and they should be fine, and I'll prepare a release C with the correct defaults.

V
V
When I start a game the config window seems to turn dead. That is it doesn't redraw itself anymore so after a while it's usually just a gray rectangle. Is this normal behavior?

R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yes, that's correct for the current version.

B
B
I'm still getting that dead direction joystick issue from the old version; gets stuck when moved fast and held, and with sound it runs about 1/4 speed, maybe due to using oss4; and no alsa not checked, in fact doing so kills the sound and makes it run too fast for a change. Oh well.

R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
And this is why nobody makes games for Linux, my friends.

All I can say is NEStopia runs brilliantly on a fresh install of Fedora 9 using an Audigy 2 via ALSA and a PS3 joypad.

B
B
They don't make games because the by far biggest chunk of money is elsewhere, where an inferior 3d API is easier to develop on and where hardware vendor's drivers actually exist. And now with the PC game market flopping that path doesn't look much brighter anyways. But with other emulators, many run brilliantly overall. I've never seen a problem with sdlmame. Although tbh, SDL leaves much to be desired. It's eating performance for the sake of portability.

R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
If SDLMAME has working audio for you I'll add an SDL audio driver option to the next version of NST.

And for reference, we made a bare-metal Linux MAME early on (raw Xlib and XSHM, all that stuff that puts hair on your chest). It was not even a fraction of an FPS faster than SDLMAME, and would have been several levels of hell harder to maintain and update. I'm confident we made the right choice.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Richard Bannister, Cpt. Pugwash), 26 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,237
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com