Print Thread
The SCSP challenge #42556 06/28/08 11:13 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content OP
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The name entry song from Virtua Fighter 3 (also seen in the M1 thread).

M1 with the current MAME/AO SCSP: http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/vf30030.mp3

Same song on a real Model 3 board, analog outputs wired directly to a soundcard: http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/SD_Song_Entry.mp3

Nice work, kingshriek :-)

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: R. Belmont] #42573 06/29/08 05:17 PM
P
Phil Bennett Offline
P
Originally Posted By R. Belmont

Nice work, kingshriek :-)

Hear hear.

Any idea which songs in VF3 use the FM functionality of the SCSP?

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: Phil Bennett] #42574 06/29/08 05:18 PM
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Ok, initially there's FM in songs 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 24, and 26.

M1's SCSP doesn't have the real FM code (or several other fixes) though, let me fix that.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 06/29/08 05:33 PM.
Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: R. Belmont] #42575 06/29/08 05:48 PM
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Mmkay. Even with the final code, the FM's pretty jacked on these songs (the sample-only ones are awesome though). Setting FM_DELAY back to 2 makes most of them at least reasonable but that's clearly not the only problem.

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: R. Belmont] #42588 06/30/08 09:53 AM
P
Phil Bennett Offline
P
After listening, it's quite obvious which songs use FM smile

Those that don't sound nigh-on perfect mind you.

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: Phil Bennett] #42597 06/30/08 02:17 PM
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah. With the new code and the tweek to the constant most of them at least approximate my real PCB recordings, but I need to shrink M1 to something managable KS can play with now that we finally have something using FM and direct PCB recordings for comparison.

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: R. Belmont] #42641 07/02/08 06:36 PM
R
rorirub Offline
R
actually you could just use the crapton of saturn recordings from satakore.com (all are made on the hardware) and compare them to saturn games, or ssf dumps of games even.

I've already sent a set to kingshriek that heavily uses the FM and sounds very bad on the current AO code. It's the Alisia Dragoon set from the Game Basic for Segasaturn disc. satakore.com has full recordings of every song, so its easily comparable to the ssf rips I made.

From the top of my head, the only other Saturn game to use FM sound is the pitch ramp in the VF Kids intro/advice/demo song (note that the song is different on the saturn compared to the stv version). But, it uses a different driver system so it cannot be dumped as an SSF file, although you can still run it in MESS, I guess.
Other games mainly use FM for minor sound effects (Fighters Megamix menu effects, and Hang-On GP somewhere - this one may be music, I don't remember).

The Gamebasic for Saturn disc however, has a TON of tracks that mostly use FM sound.

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: rorirub] #42642 07/02/08 06:48 PM
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Actually it should be possible to rip anything that plays fully SCSP-resident to an SSF, it's just the tools assume one specific driver. (VF Remix on ST-V actually streams the music off the cart, which is a) mono and b) wasteful, but AM2 can do what they want ;-)

Good to know there are more good FM examples. I still gotta throw together something so KS can mess with the FM in VF3 though, because it's used fairly extensively on some songs. There's one with a really weird synth electric guitar lead that you know is FM just listening to it smile

Re: The SCSP challenge [Re: R. Belmont] #42827 07/12/08 05:31 AM
K
kingshriek Offline
K
VF3's FM is... interesting. It looks like all FM samples used have STWINH set and that the driver itself writes values directly into the ring buffer for FM processing.

After trying various things, it appears that the effective modulation being applied is currently too low. Increasing the MDL gain by a factor of 2 improves things slightly. If I tweak the gain slightly further to 2.2, I get something that closely matches the PCB recordings.

So it seems that either the values that the driver is writing to the FM buffer are too low (I wonder if the driver reads any SCSP registers to generate these - if it doesn't, then I wouldn't expect this to be the problem) or that the modulation gain is something different than an power of 2 of the MDL value.

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Setting FM_DELAY back to 2 makes most of them at least reasonable but that's clearly not the only problem.

That's actually a side-effect from me forgetting to check for STWINH when writing the delayed samples into the FM ring buffer.

Moderated by  R. Belmont, Richard Bannister 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Carbon), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,734
Posts114,829
Members4,879
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020