Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
I have a handheld computer, Jornada 728 with the HPC 2000 operating system, CE version 3.0 and Intel StrongARM processor.

Can someone tell me if there is a MESS version that will work on this unit?

B
B
I've dabbled with building MESS on Windows CE; did a bit of work core work to make it maintainable (such as going against the "wide" versions of the Win32 APIs) but have never completed it nor released anything significant.

Other issues include the fact that MAME and MESS have rather heavy CPU requirements; you probably wouldn't get good results on anything other than the simplest computers on even the most powerful handhelds.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for your post.

Here is a direct link to an article I just recently wrote on what I recently accomplished.

http://home.netcom.com/~mjmw/pocket.htm

Basically I took a Jornada 728, ran PocketDOS, which had first used FreeDOS, then I used the 486 BOCHS add on to emulate a 486. From this point I used PC99 a TI-99/4a emulator written in DOS to work on a 486.

The results were that it worked 100 percent as far as working, screen colors, text colors, etc. The bad news is that it was slow, but still playable.

I wanted to run the Scott Adams Adventure Module games on this unit, which I am doing, but wish the speed was a bit faster.

Anyway, someone suggeted that I look into MESS.

I sure like being able to have a TI-99/4A in my pocket now, and there were lots of great programs written for this machine back then.

Maybe you'd consider taking a second look at your coding to see what you can do. If so, let me know as I would be happy to beta-test for you.

B
B
The sad truth is that I don't have enough time/inclination to resurrect my old Windows CE work. Keeping the project in one piece is pretty much all that I have time for nowadays, and even then its an open question on how good a job that I do :-)

That said, if somebody else were to take it on I'd love to support them. Given that MAME/MESS is extremely portable, it should just be a matter of taking the Win32 version of MESS, stipping things like Direct3D out that are not supported on Windows CE and doing the build, and stripping out the drivers that have zero chance of running well (which would probably be anything with a 16-bit CPU and higher)

While I'd imagine that even a TI-99 wouldn't run well, I'd imagine that the results would still be better than PC99 under Bochs.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I might be getting a WinMobile 6.1 phone soon. (WM is this week's name for CE). I know nothing about CE/WM or how compatible they are though, and I don't have the bandwidth to maintain another full port. If SDL's CE target is workable I might have a go with that (Apple II on a phone is too irresistable not to at least try). No promises however.

B
B
What tools would you use to build for CE? Last time I've played with this stuff, I used Microsoft's tools and hacked vconv.exe to use the Windows CE compilers.

If you're building SDLMESS, that would imply that you're using some GCC derivative. I didn't know that there was a workable GCC toolchain for WinCE.

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Here some links for Pocket PC emulators:
http://www.ppc-welt.info/community/showthread.php?t=26977

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
SDLMESS has a Win32 target and you can vconv it. (Might need a few patches, but there's nothing fundamentally stopping you from doing it).

T
OP Offline
T
I am delighted to see some interest in this project. Again, I was wanting a version of MESS that would run on a Jornada 728 that runs Micrsoft Handheld PC 2000 CE version 3 for a StrongARM processor (Version 4 will not work).

If anyone wants to try their hand at this, I would be more than willing to beta test and report my results.

T
OP Offline
T
Anna,

Thanks for the link, but the Jornada 720 or 728 is a handheld PC, not a pocket PC. From what I have been learning, they do not run the same software.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (crazyc, John IV, 1 invisible), 54 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020