Print Thread
Page 65 of 152 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 151 152
Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ranger_lennier] #44729 09/15/08 03:23 PM
G
Guru Offline
G
Originally Posted By ranger_lennier
Originally Posted By ht1848
Dumping page is looking good. Still need to think about how to rally the supporters if something available comes up or how to get them dumped (Is the default answer send to Guru?).

Well, that's definitely an option to consider. Guru's said that he'll dump anything. Of course this involves shipping to Australia and he probably won't reverse engineer any unique hardware. I sent him a Tiger R-Zone and some games and he's not sure what to do with them (the carts use something like an epoxy block, I think).

It's actually a piece of shit ;-)
It will need to be decapped and dumped directly from the substrate, like most epoxy blobs. I'm planning to add it to the decap list with other MESS items.

Guru

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ranger_lennier] #44731 09/15/08 03:32 PM
G
Guru Offline
G
Originally Posted By ranger_lennier

Lately, I've been working on a list of undumped Japanese systems, with the intention of tracking some of these down with the help of Guru's Japanese contact.

That's a good idea, but my contact is always busy so unless items are immediately available somewhere (like Yahoo Japan) then after he checks once there won't be any follow-ups. Someone just needs to monitor Yahoo Japan and yell out when something is available (and have money to buy it)

Quote:

Gakken Compact Vision (TV Boy) -- 1983
http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/gakken.htm

I thought I have this? There's almost nothing in it. The carts contain 1 chip, a 6801 or something.

Quote:

Casio Loopy "My Seal Computer" -- 1995
http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/loopy.htm

incog sent one to me. I dumped all the surface mounted ROMs in the carts and the surface mounted ROMs on the main board. There's an undumped MCU that likely contains the boot code according to RB. This was discussed here I think. Not sure if I can get it decapped or not? incog... ?

Quote:

Pasago -- portable by Koei with carts based on famous Go tournaments, hard to find much info on this, not even sure about the year of release:
http://assemblergames.com/wiki/dogatemysnes/pmwiki.php?n=Topics.KoeiPasago
http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/portables/pasago_go.htm

I've got that too 2 of them in fact. We discussed what this needs some time ago. There's a big chip in there, it's well documented.

Guru

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: Guru] #44732 09/15/08 03:49 PM
incog Offline
Originally Posted By Guru
Dumping page is looking good. Still need to think about how to rally the supporters if something available comes up or how to get them dumped (Is the default answer send to Guru?).

http://cgi.ebay.com/BANDAI-PLAYDIA-MINT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bandai playdia system on ebay right now. no bids yet. Not sure how rare it is...so can't say it is worth it or not. Anyone know?

The default answer is get it yourself, pull it apart and then post pics here and someone will put their hand up. If that fails or it's using surface mounted chips and soldered-in chips, I'll take care of it.

Guru

I've already cracked open and scanned a Playdia pcb. It's a bizarre mix of 2 8-bit mcus and a custom video chip. It's basically a VCD player that overlays shitty graphics over the video.

http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08381/playdia-pcb203.jpg

It's still taken apart and I cant remember how to put it back together, the case is broken due to it biting a chunk out of my thumb. smirk

If you need it, it's yours to keep/decap/sacrifice to the elder gods. I've already dumped an assload of CD's for it.

Oh, and the Casio Loopy and carts I sent you are yours to abuse, It was a spare heh.

Last edited by incog; 09/15/08 03:50 PM.
Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: incog] #44734 09/15/08 04:05 PM
G
Guru Offline
G
Originally Posted By incog
I've already cracked open and scanned a Playdia pcb. It's a bizarre mix of 2 8-bit mcus and a custom video chip. It's basically a VCD player that overlays shitty graphics over the video.
http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08381/playdia-pcb203.jpg
It's still taken apart and I cant remember how to put it back together, the case is broken due to it biting a chunk out of my thumb. smirk
If you need it, it's yours to keep/decap/sacrifice to the elder gods. I've already dumped an assload of CD's for it.

Looks like it's a decap candidate. The main CPU looks like the TMP87C800F, which of course is a TLCS-870 Series MCU containing 8k internal maskROM.
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_datasheet.php?id=988736&part-number=TMP87C800

The Asahi Kasei chip looks familiar. I'm sure I've seen that one on at least one arcade PCB. It's the main gfx chip.

Guru

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: incog] #44735 09/15/08 04:06 PM
G
Guru Offline
G
Originally Posted By incog
Oh, and the Casio Loopy and carts I sent you are yours to abuse, It was a spare heh.

Oh, that's good. I can't remember how to put that piece of shit back together either! :-D

Guru

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: Guru] #44742 09/15/08 06:41 PM
M
MooglyGuy Offline
M
That reminds me, when I get back home (I'm on vacation right now), I still need to send off those N64 games, an N64, and an N64 controller for decapping, as well as an N64 Test Cartridge for dumping by Guru himself. No rush, really.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: Guru] #44748 09/16/08 12:09 AM
R
ranger_lennier Offline
R
Guru, you're replying to some seriously old posts here. smirk

But yes, we've made good progress with some of the items discussed then.

It would still be nice to have someone watching the Japanese auction sites, though. Anyone know Japanese?

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ranger_lennier] #44751 09/16/08 12:52 AM
H
ht1848 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Guru - 2 questions

Can you give MESS dumping page a little advertising love on this page?

MAME dumping Project

Right now it says no MESS page exists and it would be slick if you could link a note to MESS Dumping page

Second question, I was just in Australia and what is the proper way to answer "How you going?". I couldn't figure out if I answered it the same way as "how you doing" or what the normal Oz response was...And which phrase was actually worse grammatically. lol whatever...Sweet country though, friendly folks. Blue tongue beer was my favorite.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ht1848] #44753 09/16/08 01:51 AM
G
Guru Offline
G
Guru - 2 questions

Can you give MESS dumping page a little advertising love on this page?

MAME dumping Project

Right now it says no MESS page exists and it would be slick if you could link a note to MESS Dumping page

Second question, I was just in Australia and what is the proper way to answer "How you going?". I couldn't figure out if I answered it the same way as "how you doing" or what the normal Oz response was...And which phrase was actually worse grammatically. lol whatever...Sweet country though, friendly folks. Blue tongue beer was my favorite.

ok link added.

for replying, just say 'not bad mate', or 'good mate', or 'ah, not bad'.
Actually the term 'how you going' is just a greeting. We actually don't care how you are going ;-)

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: Guru] #44754 09/16/08 02:04 AM
H
ht1848 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
lol alright. Just like "how are you doing?" no one really cares.

Thanks for the link!

Page 65 of 152 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 151 152

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Stiletto, box), 162 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,763
Posts115,160
Members4,889
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020