Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: Olivier Galibert] #46662 12/04/08 02:01 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Thanks. For osx they're almost always on their own :-) I'll email you what changes I have.

Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: R. Belmont] #46663 12/04/08 02:20 PM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
This is gonna be fun..

Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: judge] #46664 12/04/08 04:40 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The OSX debugger was written in a bit more of a "freeform" way, which might actually help it in this case (ie, it's not assuming much).

Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: R. Belmont] #46667 12/04/08 07:08 PM
A
AaronGiles Offline
A
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
You baked some assumptions fairly deeply into the debugger and Aaron, as he's want to do, broke them.

I've never seen the SDL debugger code. I was hoping it wouldn't be substantially different from the Windows side (apart from the obvious "different GUI toolbox" stuff). As always, I offer to help get things back together.

Quote:
(the new "subview" thing in particular is both a major change and rather confusing).

It's just an abstraction. Before, you could have a memory view that displayed an address space or some sort of raw memory (regions, save state data, etc.) And the OSD port was responsible for figuring out all the options in order to display them to the user, and telling the memory view to explicitly display a particular address space or raw pointer.

With subviews, the core figures out all the useful data, and the OSD just has to query the list of them and offer them to the user. This means you get to delete a bunch of code from the OSD and just populate a menu with all the options from the list. When the user chooses one, the OSD just selects that subview by index, instead of telling the core to look at a particular address space or raw bit of data.

However, there are some circumstances where it is useful to know which address space or data a given subview is pointing to, so that data is included with the subview definitions.

In addition, the concept of subviews was extended to registers and disassembly. In these cases, you previously specified a CPU; now you specify a subview instead. It so happens that there is 1:1 correspondance between the two.

Last edited by AaronGiles; 12/04/08 07:09 PM.
Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: AaronGiles] #46668 12/04/08 07:34 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Quote:
I was hoping it wouldn't be substantially different from the Windows side (apart from the obvious "different GUI toolbox" stuff). As always, I offer to help get things back together.

The debuggers are the part of SDLMAME that's most different from baseline and not coincidentally they're also the largest things I didn't do. The fact that you didn't need to know that until now is actually pretty cool. We've not lacked for debugger changes up until now, but I was always able to track them (sometimes with help on the Mac side).

Quote:
With subviews, the core figures out all the useful data, and the OSD just has to query the list of them and offer them to the user.

This explanation should really go straight to the wiki :-)

OG sent me a few emails translating all the debugger's terminology into tilemap_*() and konamiic terms (hence his ongoing amusement that that's how the debugger works). It made much more sense after that.

Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: R. Belmont] #46669 12/04/08 07:54 PM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
The osx debugger code seems quite similar to the baseline code though, as far as I can tell anyway.

Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: judge] #46671 12/04/08 08:30 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
It's similar, but it has some sort of nasty hack related to creating itself that the other versions don't have. I threw in a few NULL checks when the debuggers had to be updated in u4 and that seemed to make it happy, but I'm sure stability could be improved smile

Re: "On Screen Display" [Re: R. Belmont] #46674 12/04/08 08:50 PM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Yeah, I have noticed some odd crashes here and there. Hard to produce ones too, but I did have one small patch locally which seems to have gotten rid of most of the crashes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MacLover490, Dorando, 1 invisible), 165 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,763
Posts115,160
Members4,889
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020