Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
YUV modes and artwork effects #46844 12/12/08 08:01 PM
C
cools Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm trying to copy behaviour shown here: http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=mame with SDLMAME, on directfb.

Screen is a fixed frequency 640x480 VGA monitor (Nanao MS29-34). SDLMAME is happy enough splatting video up at this resolution, but when combined with a scanline effect looks horrendous - because it's applying the scanline effect BEFORE the image is prescaled with either yuv2x2 or yv12x2 (yuv2 and yv12 modes mess with colours too much).

I've tried fiddling with all the settings as much as possible but I get nowhere. Verbose output is showing me it's rendering a 320x240 overlay, I'm getting full screen video but it's clear that the artwork is being applied at the 320x240 stage.

I could be getting things entirely backwards - if the YUV modes are pure hardware, is the prescaling being done in hardware?

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: cools] #46845 12/12/08 09:09 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'm not sure YUV and prescale interact, like at all. Do you get the correct effect with -video soft?

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: cools] #46862 12/14/08 11:09 AM
C
couriersud Offline
C
Originally Posted By cools
Screen is a fixed frequency 640x480 VGA monitor (Nanao MS29-34). SDLMAME is happy enough splatting video up at this resolution, but when combined with a scanline effect looks horrendous - because it's applying the scanline effect BEFORE the image is prescaled with either yuv2x2 or yv12x2 (yuv2 and yv12 modes mess with colours too much).

That is a "feature by design". The yuv modes are intended for memory bandwidth impaired" systems. The whole rendering is done in software at the game's resolution; including all scanline effects. The whole window surface is then converted to yuv and uploaded.
What is the reason for using yuv? Are you on directfb or does your card not support OpenGL?

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: couriersud] #46915 12/16/08 07:20 PM
C
cools Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That explains it then. Thanks for the clarification smile

It's on directfb. No matter how much messing around I tried I simply couldn't get it to render a higher resolution before applying the effects.

I've given up on SDLMAME on directfb for now on a cab. It works but it's either ugly, or slow. And the lack of a reasonable frontend (advmenu is the only decent option and that's simply too far out of date) is a downer frown

The machine is currently being updated to lenny. I'll probably just throw X + WINE + baseline on, since performance under WINE is absolutely fantastic smile

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: cools] #46916 12/16/08 07:55 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Most people running DirectFB with SDLMAME do so with a real arcade monitor, so you don't need fake scanlines smile Note also that on a dual-core system you can use the -mt switch to do the scaling on your second processor and avoid needing YUV that way.

And if you're upgrading to full-feature X why run WINE? At that point SDLMAME's more in it's element and you have access to a lot more frontends (MAMEPGUI is especially nice).

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: R. Belmont] #46922 12/16/08 10:30 PM
C
cools Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah it's an odd setup. It is a real arcade monitor (Nanao MS29-34), just a 31.5k VGA one, not a 15k one smile Naomi Universal cab. PC is some old kit I had lying around - P4 2.8, 1GB RAM, Geforce 2 MX400, and the OS on a CF card in a CF>IDE adapter, and a JVS-PAC.

It's still an experiment, all my MAME stuff seems to be such since AdvanceMAME died.

Done some more testing. Shoved xorg on - just the base, no window manager. Running SDLMAME in soft and scaling to 640x480 resolution (without yuv) is both slow and does something horrible to the graphics. Even without scaling it does the same thing. Running in (software) OpenGL sorts the graphics out but is obviously slow.

Baseline through WINE is superbly fast in ddraw. Even when prescaling and applying the scanline effect (which looks spot on, it's perfect). D3d is as slow as SDL's software OpenGL.

I'll have a further play in a few days time - I'll document things properly rather than just fiddling about smile

With regards to the frontends - it's probably obvious since this is in a cab that MAMEPGUI is worthless. AdvanceMENU's XML support is well out of date (I've tried fixing it, and had others to look at it but we've got nowhere), and quite frankly every single other frontend, both on Linux and on Windows look dreadful. Big long lists of things. I kinda like the marquee and tile modes (using title snaps) in AdvMenu.

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: cools] #46923 12/16/08 10:41 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Can we please get a screenshot of this "something horrible to the graphics", assuming it happens in windowed mode? A -verbose dump would be useful too.

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: R. Belmont] #46928 12/16/08 11:58 PM
J
jrcmilanez Offline
J
Please try my latest PIAPARA LiveCD (0.21) and give me some results.

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: jrcmilanez] #46929 12/17/08 12:12 AM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Couriersud, do you have any ideas? The path through MAME should be identical to baseline, and Wine ddraw is definitely not a magic fast box - without OpenGL it's usually about 20% slower than real Windows on the same h/w.

Re: YUV modes and artwork effects [Re: R. Belmont] #46931 12/17/08 01:06 AM
C
couriersud Offline
C
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Couriersud, do you have any ideas? The path through MAME should be identical to baseline, and Wine ddraw is definitely not a magic fast box - without OpenGL it's usually about 20% slower than real Windows on the same h/w.

a) DirectFB
The poster gave only little detail. No mame commandline, no /etc/directfbrc, no mame verbose output, no stderr output running mame to see what directfb is complaining about, no dfbinfo

b) ddraw

from the source
Code:
if we're using the memory buffer, draw offscreen first and then copy

That's in fact a software renderer. As is the other case where it uses the software renderer to draw directly to the window surface - just overdrawing this (NO_DEST_READ=1). Depending on the blend mode and color/alpha set this may cause a real difference.

I think the base package posted here for such issues should be

a) mame.ini
b) mame commandline
c) game.cfg (are we talking artwork?)
d) mame -v output incl. stderr

For directfb:

e) /etc/directfbrc
f) dfbinfo output

That is a lot, but issues like that tend to be complex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 137 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,673
Posts113,788
Members4,852
Most Online418
Aug 14th, 2019