Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
caver01 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am using MESS in my arcade cabinet to bring back those nostalgic Apple II games I own on floppies somewhere. Is there a way to call up custom keyboard layouts for each software title similar to the way I can map keys for each ROM in MAME? Or, is the keyboard config specific to the machine BIOS? In other words, will have to do some fancy batch file copies or somthing for EACH GAME?

Some titles work fine with a common joystick setup, for example, whereas others want me to type "1" or "2" or "J" to play using joystick. Consequently, I want to map some of these startup functions to pushbuttons on my control panel, but they differ from game to game.

Oh, I should mention that I am using the MA front end. There's no module for Apple II, so I am just using a modified Coleco module in the FE, which really doesn't make much of a difference.
Thanks!

Last edited by caver01; 02/10/09 04:59 PM.
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
It ought to be possible to do this using ctrlr files, you'd have to point to a different one at the command-line for each game (hopefully your front-end allows this). If you remap the Apple II keys inside MESS, the cfg\apple2.cfg file it produces should show you the right syntax to use for your ctrlr files.

caver01 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestion. I think it would work--if it would work. Perhaps you can tell what I am doing wrong:

First, I created a ctrlr directory alongside the mess.exe, as this is the directory that is specified (although it did not exist) in the mess.ini for ctrlr files.

Second, I used the in-mess GUI to configure keys/joystick settings how I want them for a particular software image and verified the information is updating the apple2ee.cfg file which gets created the first time I launch mess using the apple2ee machine type.

Next, I copied this config file (actually, I made a copy, then deleted the file so MESS woudl create a new one with defaults). I used my "configured" copy and placed it into the ctrlr directory using the same-name-as-my-software.cfg.

Finally, I inserted a "-ctrlr" switch in my FE command line so it should look like:
MESS.EXE -ctrlr softwarename apple2ee s6d1 softwarename -skip_gameinfo -nowindow -nonewui
MESS launches, the machine boots, the software loads--but when I check the key configuration, it's just using the default it recreated (a new cfg file returned, as expected, as apple2ee.cfg).

So, am I doing this right? It seems like either my specified ctrlr file is getting overridden by the machine .cfg file or my syntax is wrong. The fact that the machine boots and the software loads makes me think I must be close. Any ideas?

caver01 Offline OP
OP Offline
well, here I am answering my own question--but I think I figured out why it was not loading my ctrlr file. There's an option (not the path setting) within the .ini file that simply says ctrlr and next to that it's blank. Other items in that section of the .ini have a 1, so I am thinking that the use of ctrlr files is disabled in my .ini until I add a 1 to that line.

The more complex part of the solution, however, may be working. I setup pre and post launch commands that effectively copy the apple2ee.cfg file to a name that matches the software image name after quitting the emulator. Then, upon reloading software, the pre-launch command copies the named cfg file back into place. This swapping of the cfg file allows me to play with the key mapping inside the mess interface and it does what I want--saves the key config for that software title.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (AJR), 46 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020