Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cheats [Re: Pugsy] #49768 05/03/09 08:13 AM
G
gladiator Offline
G
Is there any way of using cheats in MESS for spectrum, amstrad or c64?

I had tried to add pokes but there isn't a proper format using the turbografx one, probably the format for each system is different.

If anyone can tell me the format for those systems i can try to make the cheats xml file for spectrum (at least).

Thanks.

Re: Cheats [Re: gladiator] #49787 05/04/09 12:02 AM
Pugsy Offline
Originally Posted By gladiator
If anyone can tell me the format for those systems i can try to make the cheats xml file for spectrum (at least).

The PC Engine XML cheats are probably not the best example +main has been replaced with maincpu now.

Better examples can probably be found in the MAME XML files.
For the spectrum in MESS 0.131 this should work:-

Code:
  <cheat desc="Infinite Lives">
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.pb@8665=C9</action> <!-- POKE 34405,201  -->
    </script>
  </cheat>

Alternatively, if pokes are being used this is better as it allows you to completely turn OFF the cheat without having to repoke.

Code:
  <cheat desc="Infinite Lives">
    <script state="on">
      <action>temp0=maincpu.pb@8665 AND maincpu.pb@8665=C9</action> <!-- POKE 34405,201  -->
    </script>
    <script state="off">
      <action>maincpu.pb@8665=temp0</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>

Given a well formatted list of pokes it should be a fairly simple matter to automatically create a spectrum.xml (if the list is REALLY well formatted I may even do it for you). The issue is that it could be too big to parse (I had to do a lot of downsizing to a few MAME xmls so that they wouldn't crash MAME) and also it will not be nice for the user having to flick through so many games.

Last edited by Pugsy; 05/04/09 12:04 AM.
Re: Cheats [Re: Pugsy] #49800 05/04/09 11:31 AM
G
gladiator Offline
G
Big thanks for the explanation and answer, i suppose that for Commodore 64 or Amstrad will be similar.

Seems a little more complicated than working on the PEC codelist for PSX, but i think that I can try to make one for spectrum soon, but the biggest issue could be the rom names, since maybe will be better to use the games tosec names, right?

MESS to cheat will check that the name of the rom is the exact one that i'm trying to load, like in Mame.

So for example if the spectrum game is called Batman.tap in the mess cheat i have to put that, right?

In PSX is easier since is just putting the name, the serial and the codes.

You're right that it will be a big list since spectrum, c64 or amstrad got lots of games but maybe we can divided the codes into different lists, so people will only download the ones that he wants to use.

If you want me to create the list for you, tell me the format that you want and i will provide you the list so you can create the xml file. I can start with the games starting with numbers.

Just let me know.

Re: Cheats [Re: gladiator] #49801 05/04/09 12:10 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
pre-0.126, MESS cheats were using CRC checksums of the images, not filenames, exactly to avoid problems with different naming conventions

it should keep using CRC (even if I'm not sure it is currently implemented in the post-0.127 cheat engine)

Re: Cheats [Re: gladiator] #49839 05/04/09 10:04 PM
Pugsy Offline
Originally Posted By gladiator
Big thanks for the explanation and answer, i suppose that for Commodore 64 or Amstrad will be similar.

As probably the most prolific poke creator on the C64 back in the old days, I think I ought to have ownership of any C64 cheat files. Of all the 8 bit platforms the C64 is probably the most well served with trainers so there's no rush for a cheat file (luckily for me wink )

Quote:
Seems a little more complicated than working on the PEC codelist for PSX, but i think that I can try to make one for spectrum soon, but the biggest issue could be the rom names, since maybe will be better to use the games tosec names, right?

MESS to cheat will check that the name of the rom is the exact one that i'm trying to load, like in Mame.

So for example if the spectrum game is called Batman.tap in the mess cheat i have to put that, right?

In PSX is easier since is just putting the name, the serial and the codes.

At the moment with no crc32 support in the cheat engine and no standard MESS ROM naming there's no need to worry about it. I with many others believe that MESS should have the same sort of ROM naming convention as MAME/HAZEMD so that known ROMs have shortnames like 'spectrum_manicminer' this would actually make XML cheat files fairly painless to use. This issue is the main reason why MESS cheat.dats and now cheat.xmls haven't taken off (and why I'm not rushing to make them).

Quote:
You're right that it will be a big list since spectrum, c64 or amstrad got lots of games but maybe we can divided the codes into different lists, so people will only download the ones that he wants to use.

The number of lines in the cheat window a user will have to manually scroll through to find cheats that may or may not exist will be enormous...

Quote:
If you want me to create the list for you, tell me the format that you want and i will provide you the list so you can create the xml file. I can start with the games starting with numbers.

Just let me know.

Here's a picture of the sort of thing I'd need (excel/oo spreadsheet will be ideal).

1. The game title will be need to be on it's own line/row and there should only be the title in that column.

2. There should be an empty line between games.

If at all possible include credits for the individual pokes if they still exist in your source documentation (people like to be credited).

Last edited by Pugsy; 05/04/09 10:05 PM.
Re: Cheats [Re: Pugsy] #49869 05/05/09 12:49 PM
G
gladiator Offline
G
Originally Posted By Pugsy

As probably the most prolific poke creator on the C64 back in the old days, I think I ought to have ownership of any C64 cheat files. Of all the 8 bit platforms the C64 is probably the most well served with trainers so there's no rush for a cheat file (luckily for me wink )

At the moment with no crc32 support in the cheat engine and no standard MESS ROM naming there's no need to worry about it. I with many others believe that MESS should have the same sort of ROM naming convention as MAME/HAZEMD so that known ROMs have shortnames like 'spectrum_manicminer' this would actually make XML cheat files fairly painless to use. This issue is the main reason why MESS cheat.dats and now cheat.xmls haven't taken off (and why I'm not rushing to make them).

Here's a picture of the sort of thing I'd need (excel/oo spreadsheet will be ideal).

1. The game title will be need to be on it's own line/row and there should only be the title in that column.

2. There should be an empty line between games.

If at all possible include credits for the individual pokes if they still exist in your source documentation (people like to be credited).

Well, first start with spectrum in that case.

I had used the full name of the tosec tzx spectrum games, that is the most common one right now.

Here's the excel for the spectrum games starting with numbers:
http://www.qooy.com/files/1SASUTCW/Spectrum.xls

If there is any mistake tell me before i can continue with the rest of the letters (that will take more weeks, there are lots of spectrum games. laugh )

Re: Cheats [Re: gladiator] #49891 05/05/09 07:33 PM
Pugsy Offline
There are multiple issues with the pokes....they need to be of standard form. The problem with pokes taken from web pages is their dreadful quality control.

Code:

too many commas! it should be 50027,201

Code:

Should be a comma not a dot (the worst possible character to use!) so it should be 38348,0 (this issue apparent in other positions). Alteratively, have the address and poke values in different columns (works for me).

Code:
33538,0:33539,195

Multiple pokes should be on seperate cells in the same column. So should be:-
Code:

Other things to note:

Code:
Immune To Moving Enemies & Objects

Can fix this as a find and replace at the end...but & is effectively reserved in xml so should be +.

Capitalisation should be standard, in that small example "infinite damage" & "Infinite damage" & "Infinite Lives" & "infinite lives" pretty much covers all the options apart from ALL CAPS. Best to get it right first as it's easier to see and correct prior to becoming an xml. Garbage In = Garbage Out

BTW, you should also decide on the max number of characters in the Game Name and the Cheat Description fields if you don't set an absolute limit and stick to I guarantee that the display will look like crap.

Last edited by Pugsy; 05/05/09 07:41 PM.
Re: Cheats [Re: Pugsy] #49900 05/06/09 06:09 AM
G
gladiator Offline
G
I think that most of the issues are fixed now:
http://www.qooy.com/files/6D9L2VPF/Spectrum_1.xls

If not please let me know.

About the number of characters i can't put one (i will put the maximum one: 255 but i don't know how to do it), so to decide the size of the column i have to wait until i have the complete list of games, since there could be a game name larger than the ones that are right now.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Cheats [Re: gladiator] #49914 05/06/09 06:21 PM
Pugsy Offline
Here's the XML converted from the xls above:-

http://www.mamecheat.co.uk/spectrum.zip

Re: Cheats [Re: Pugsy] #49936 05/07/09 10:26 AM
G
gladiator Offline
G
Well, tested and worked.

But there is one thing: Is there any other way of making the cheat list? I'm asking this 'cause the way it is right now all the codes appear with every game that is loaded and the idea was that only the codes for that game appear, so that way people won't have to scroll down the whole list to find the codes for a specific game (there will be thousands of games). That's why i put the full name of each game.

It can be done the other way, or this is the only way?
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the troubles.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Golden Child, shattered), 40 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,811
Posts115,965
Members4,914
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020