Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
OP Offline
M
I've taken the liberty of writing up a small, step-by-step 'How to' for compiling SDLMAME on OS X,

It's a little longer than the directions included with the source, but I believe it to be a little easier to follow for the novice.

Feel free to use it, use parts of it, rewrite it, or ignore it completely as you see fit.

=====

Compiling SDLMAME for mac OS X for Dummies

So you've decided to compile your own copy of SDLMAME.

Follow these simple steps, and you'll be up and running in fairly short order.

Preliminary Steps (These need be done only once, with the occasional periodic updates) -

- Run Software Update -
Your Operating System, and supporting files should be updated prior to compiling SDLMAME (and should be kept up to date regardless) The minimum supported OS for SDLMAME under Mac OS X is 10.4.x (Tiger).

- Install Xcode
Xcode is a free developer environment from Apple, and although it will be used to compile SDLMAME, you will not be required to learn how to run it.
It will need to be installed prior to compiling SDLMAME. As of this writing (10/08) the current version of Xcode is 3.x (for Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard)), The minimum supported version of Xcode is 2.3.
Xcode is free from Apple, either as part of your original install discs (or retail copy of OS X) or as a free download from http://developer.apple.com/

- Install SDL
Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."
Go to http://www.libsdl.org/ , and click the "SDL 1.2" download link in the sidebar, then scroll down to "Mac OS X" under "Runtime Libraries". Download the "SDL-1.2.13.dmg" disk image and open it.
Click 'Macintosh HD' (or whatever your Mac's hard disk is named) in the left pane of a Finder window, then open the Library folder and drag the SDL.framework folder from the SDL disk image into the 'Frameworks' folder.

You have Xcode, and SDL installed?

Great! Let's move on to the next step!

Download and unzip the latest version of SDLMAME.
Place the resulting folder in your 'Applications' folder, or wherever you want SDLMAME to live.

Open the Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal).

In the Terminal window, type cd, and a space, drag the SDLMAME folder you just unzipped into the Terminal window, and hit return.

This changes the directory path to the SDLMAME folder.

Now we're about to begin the compiling process.

If you are compiling on an Intel based Mac, copy this line, and paste it into the terminal -
make TARGETOS=macosx

If you are compiling on a PowerPC Mac, copy this line, and paste it into the terminal -
make TARGETOS=macosx BIGENDIAN=1

In either case, hit return, and go have a sandwich, as this will take a little while.

Now, let's recap (The short version) -

- Update OS X via Software Update

- Install Xcode, and SDL (only needs to be done once)

- Unzip, and place your SDLMAME folder

- Open the Terminal, navigate to the SDLMAME folder, and type or copy the following -

make TARGETOS=macosx
(Intel Macs)

-or-

make TARGETOS=macosx BIGENDIAN=1
(PPC Macs)

Hit Return

That's it! You've just compiled SDLMAME!

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
since most of the recent macs are dual core, I'd suggest to use

Code:
make -j3 TARGETOS=macosx

(Back from the murky depths of the abyss he crawls...)

Thanks for the expanded instructions Dave, this was a huge help! I haven't played MAME in years, and I was able to get SDLMAME to compile and run using MacMAMEInfoX with minimal fuss.

Ahhh... memories.

Question - is "make -j3 for dual-core and -j5 for quad-core to build MAME at speeds never before achieved" (from the SDLMAME.txt) strictly to increase build speed, or is that to also optimize MAME for running on a multi-core processor? At any rate, it certainly built quickly on my quad-core Mac Pro.

And yes, I still have your laserdiscs. eek Terribly sorry I haven't sent them back to you. I was planning on digitizing them (yet again) and sending you the digital files along with the laserdiscs, but was waiting until I got an AJA Kona LSe card so I could do them in ProRes 422. However, now I see that there's already a digitizing project well under way (I hope they're remembering to remove the 3:2 pulldown from CAV 23.98 fps discs), so I'm guessing that probably isn't necessary. Although I will have the card this summer, since it's part of our archiving project at work (I may even be able to swing one of these if I'm lucky)... so if you do want them digitized... wink

Anyway, fire me off an e-mail (still the same address), and I promise I'll get the LDs sent back to you.

(Really... I am sorry about that.)

AtariAge Blog
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The -j3/-j5 is for building only. However, MAME also does use multiple cores for some games (primarily 3D ones). It automatically detects the number of cores at runtime, there's no need to do anything special.

Laserdiscs are being captured in a special way to preserve all the data exactly as it is (and yes, that means video-sourced ones like Firefox look awful in MAME right now due to the lack of a deinterlacer). It requires a Windows machine with a specific ATI capture card and custom software that Aaron wrote.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 06/11/09 03:03 AM.
One other quick question - once it's done building, what can I throw away from the folder? (Or more to the point - what do I have to keep?) Thanks!

AtariAge Blog
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Once it's built you can safely wipe out the obj and src folders (which is pretty much everything).

Thanks - much appreciated!

AtariAge Blog
M
OP Offline
M
Nathan?

Nathan!

Welcome back, and welcome to SDLMAME!

I'm glad that my compiling instructions were useful, gladder that my LaserDiscs didn't get lost in transit (something I was a bit worried about), and gladdest of all that you haven't fallen off the face of the Earth (I fell off of the Earth's face once... Landed in the Earth's lap... Fortunately, I was able to climb back up before the Earth stood up...)

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
E
E
Guess who else is back smile It's been so long that I think the last time I logged in was right after Richard lost the DB and he needed to re-create the accounts smile Anyway, for those of you who actually remember me, hi!

Anything happen in sdlmame in the past few years? Do I need to set a compile-time flag for cheats now (it doesn't seem to appear in the menus when -cheat is flagged)? Do we have new optimal make settings for OS X Intel, or just make -j3 TARGETOS=macosx still?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
You need a cheat.dat from late 2008 or newer (cheat.retrogames.com has the latest). Old ones don't work.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 10/01/09 05:39 AM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Darkstar, Alegend45, Golden Child, 1 invisible), 25 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,086
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com