Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
I just submitted a new, rewritten from scratch, implementation of everybody's favourite Intel 8255 PPI device. I will submit it to mamedev once the next U release is out, so it can be integrated the same way as 6821new was.

The new implementation is more accurate and will probably break old drivers which don't properly hook up the chip.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Have you tried the new implementation in any of the pc drivers?

C
OP Offline
C
I can't really get any of the PC drivers to do anything other than show some error codes, even with the old PPI8255. Is there a working driver?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The actual IBM51x0 drivers should work. The clones not so much.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
ibm5150 and ibm5160 should work ok. They only display a 1701 error when no harddisk image is mounted.

S
S
Seems like all the PC clones are broken, one way or another.

Best I can get to is the monochrome ones.. they'll boot ok, but the keyboard mapping is completely up the spout. The rest crash MESS or just freeze, usually. That's in 0.132 - I just got the latest to see if it had changed since 0.130. It hadn't!

Ian Gledhill
Check out our shop of 8-bit goodness http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
With keyboard mapping MESS defaults to a direct physical mapping. For PCs that means keys pressed are translated into "what's there on a US QWERTY keyboard" in most cases, so if you're running a non-QWERTY layout or non-English OS hilarity may ensue. Turning on "natural keyboard" mode usually[1] helps that - it changes the mapping to "what's actually printed on your keyboard".

[1] SDLMESS on non-US QWERTY keyboards needs a keymap file to properly cope on Linux/BSD/OS X.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
The pc clones did receive almost no attention, mainly becxause there is no proper description of the hardware the bioses actually ran on. Those machine configs are mainly 'made up' as far as i am concerned. That is also the reason for the focus on the ibm machines, for those we have in-depth information.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
of course, if any of those clones could be located it would be possible to fix the proper configurations smile

S
S
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
With keyboard mapping MESS defaults to a direct physical mapping. For PCs that means keys pressed are translated into "what's there on a US QWERTY keyboard" in most cases, so if you're running a non-QWERTY layout or non-English OS hilarity may ensue. Turning on "natural keyboard" mode usually[1] helps that - it changes the mapping to "what's actually printed on your keyboard".

When I say "completely up the spout" I mean it's completely up the spout. It's not a mapping issue, it's sort of... Press "F" and watch it type "]1<new line>" or something daft.

It does boot though....

Ian Gledhill
Check out our shop of 8-bit goodness http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Vas Crabb, Duke, AJR), 52 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020