Print Thread
Page 69 of 69 1 2 67 68 69
CD-i Fan #108264 12/26/16 01:15 PM
J
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
That's just it though, they aren't well-emulated, at least not in MAME. The black-boxing in MAME has multiple notable issues, from Zelda's Adventure hanging when you try to walk to another screen, to certain games lacking sound effects and/or music. It's probably down to me not understanding the code you sent me at the time, but unfortunately I've long since lost access to the e-mail address which you sent the code to, so I can't even check anymore. smile

As I see it, since we have dumps of SLAVE and SERVO, it's preferable that MAME emulate them rather than going the black-box route. MAME is ostensibly meant to be a documentation project first, with playability being second. With that in mind, I'm perfectly fine taking my time with the CD-i driver in MAME (which I'm currently taking a break from to work on some discrete games) and directing people to use CD-i Emulator in the meantime. Though, admittedly, it's a tough sell since a lot of games on the CD-i were absolute shovelware, and I would wager most people just want to fire up the games long enough to do a playthrough for YouTube, and don't necessarily want to buy a commercial emulator. Still, CD-i Emulator is cheaper than buying a real CD-i console, and it has rather solid compatibility, and quality comes at a cost.

Just Desserts #108265 12/26/16 06:47 PM
C
C
I agree that there are emulation issues, but I think these are mostly due to timing problems with the CDIC chip emulation, not so much SLAVE and/or SERVO. That being said, it's certainly worthwhile to have a better emulation of these two microcontrollers, if only because it brings us closer to the documented board parts.

If you need the source access again, I can resend the NDA version, just PM me. And thanks for the endorsement!

Page 69 of 69 1 2 67 68 69

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yash Anand, 1 invisible), 24 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,274
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com