Re: CD-i WIP [Re: CD-i Fan] #55360 10/20/09 07:07 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By CD-i Fan
The driver does this in two cases: during an SS_CDDA call and an SS_Seek call. These are exactly the cases where the target location on disc may not have a sector structure; I interpret it to mean something like "use subchannel Q timing only, do not attempt to verify sector header". The subchannel Q timing is only accurate to a second, so what I've done is to ignore the entire low word of the Time register (pretend it's zero) and thus always seek to a whole-seond address.

Interesting; are there any delays or register updates associated with an SS_Seek call? Currently I'm just immediately clearing bit 15 in the Data Buffer Register to indicate that the command has completed.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: Just Desserts] #55361 10/20/09 07:39 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
After some compatibility testing:

Arcade Classics: Galaga and Galaxian unplayable due to graphical bugs, Ms. Pac-Man awkward to play due to mouse controls
Backgammon: Fully playable
Battleship: Hangs when trying to go in-game
Caesar's Palace: Fully playable
CD-i Pinball: Fully playable, with graphical bugs
Classical Jukebox: Fully playable
Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia 1992: Videos cause graphical corruption
Connect 4: Fully playable, with audio bugs
Create Your Own Caricature: Fully playable?
Cyber City: Unplayable due to stuttering
Dark Castle: Unplayable due to graphical bugs
Golden Oldies 1: Fully playable
Golden Oldies 2: Fully playable
Hotel Mario: Crashes after the first level due to Sound Map issues
Jeopardy: Unplayable
Jigsaw - The Ultimate Electronic Puzzle: Unplayable, unable to move mouse cursor
Laser Lords: Almost playable with some video glitches, but unable to talk to people or go into buildings
Lemmings: Fully playable in SFX-only mode, with some SFX bugs
Mega Maze: Hangs when trying to go in-game
Merlin's Apprentice: Fully playable
Micro Machines: Fully Playable
Pac-Panic: Fully playable
Richard Scarry's Best Neighborhood Disc Ever: Hangs when going into buildings
Sargon Chess: Shows garbage on-screen during the title screen, and soft locks there
Space Ranger: Fully playable
Striker Pro: Unplayably fast, and some audio / graphical bugs, but otherwise fine
Tangram - The Ultimate Chinese Game: Unplayable, suffers from menu selection bugs and exhibits strange behavior when going in-game
Tetris: Fully playable
Text Tiles: Fully playable
The Wacky World of Miniature Golf: Mostly playable, has issues when progressing past the practice hole
Whack-A-Bubble: Crashes in-game due to Sound Map issues
Zenith: Fully playable
Zelda - The Wand of Gamelon: Lacks SFX in-game, is hard to play with a mouse controller

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: Just Desserts] #55362 10/20/09 07:42 AM
D
Devin Offline
D
Found it!

Here's the front...
http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/resource/devin/dvc_9143_front.jpg

Here's the back...
http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/resource/devin/dvc_9143_back.jpg

On the cartridge case it reads...
Type: 22ER9143/00
NC: 9022 729 14301
No: AH00 9323 000076
60/50Hz
Manufactured: JUNE 1993

Little note on the back reads...
This apparatus has been assembled with piece parts from the trial-run and thus not intended for measurement as it doesn't meet the requirements of the specification.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: Devin] #55365 10/20/09 10:25 AM
C
CD-i Fan Offline
C
The "ES2" probably stands for Engineering Sample 2. This could be a C-Cube chip but I somehow doubt it.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: Devin] #55366 10/20/09 10:31 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
FYI, I just checked in a grab-bag of fixes with SVN r6143:
- Despite advice to the contrary, I'm now forcing any audio sectors that match both the Channel Register and Audio Channel Register to 0x2800 / 0x3200, as it allows Sargon to boot and Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia 1992 to play videos (neither of which work in CD-i Emulator, in my experience). That said, CD-i Emulator has better audio, so... smile

- DYUV planes have Color Key forced to true, as Color Key functionality is only defined for CLUT planes.

- Added Mosaic File support

This fixes the graphics in Namco Arcade Classics and Jeopardy, allows Sargon Chess to boot and run fully playably, and videos work properly in Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia 1992.

Edit: CD Shoot also appears to work well.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: Just Desserts] #55369 10/20/09 02:27 PM
C
CD-i Fan Offline
C
Originally Posted By Just Desserts
Interesting; are there any delays or register updates associated with an SS_Seek call? Currently I'm just immediately clearing bit 15 in the Data Buffer Register to indicate that the command has completed.

That's exactly what I'm doing in CD-i Emulator as well (and generating an interrupt); on actual hardware there would be a delay of course because disc seeks aren't instantaneous. The same sort of delay would apply before sectors began arriving after starting a read operation.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: Just Desserts] #55370 10/20/09 02:31 PM
C
CD-i Fan Offline
C
Despite advice to the contrary, I'm now forcing any audio sectors that match both the Channel Register and Audio Channel Register to 0x2800 / 0x3200, as it allows Sargon to boot and Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia 1992 to play videos (neither of which work in CD-i Emulator, in my experience).

Doesn't the BIOS read a few bytes from the wrong address then? Or aren't you generating an interrupt?

That said, CD-i Emulator has better audio, so... smile

Huh? In what sense is it "better"?

DYUV planes have Color Key forced to true, as Color Key functionality is only defined for CLUT planes.

Is there a particular game needing of this (it could just as well be forced to false)?

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: CD-i Fan] #55371 10/20/09 02:59 PM
C
CD-i Fan Offline
C

Doesn't the BIOS read a few bytes from the wrong address then? Or aren't you generating an interrupt?

Never mind, I see that you're setting bit 2 of the data_buffer register appropriately and the BIOS uses this to find the buffer address. It seems that you're on to something here, I'll change CD-i Emulator to match.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: CD-i Fan] #55372 10/20/09 03:19 PM
S
Stiletto Online Content
Online Content
S
The "ES2" probably stands for Engineering Sample 2. This could be a C-Cube chip but I somehow doubt it.

No, I think it's "European Silicon Structures", abbreviated ES2, purchased by Atmel in 1995.

Re: CD-i WIP [Re: CD-i Fan] #55373 10/20/09 03:28 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
DYUV planes have Color Key forced to true, as Color Key functionality is only defined for CLUT planes.

Is there a particular game needing of this (it could just as well be forced to false)?

Jeopardy is the main one. Apart from the initial logo video, you just get garbage on-screen.

That said, CD-i Emulator has better audio, so... smile

Huh? In what sense is it "better"?

I imagine that although it can't currently get in-game in Lemmings, CD-i Emulator would probably have valid background music if it did get there. I'm just making an educated guess based on the fact that CD-i Emulator plays the background music in Hotel Mario as well as sound effects. smile

Page 37 of 69 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 68 69

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (R. Belmont, Olivier Galibert, robcfg, Duke), 62 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,775
Posts115,464
Members4,899
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020