Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By nes6502
There is nothing wrong with Nestopia or your settings. That is how a real NES works.

The NES can only scroll vertically in groups of 8 scanlines at a time. However, it can scroll horizontally 1 pixel at a time.

The result is silky smooth horizontal scrolling and choppy vertical scrolling. All NES games do that. A good example is Zelda. Move screens left and right and the screen scrolls smooth. Move screens vertically and it scrolls choppy.

Have you even played any NES games, nes6502?

L
L
I would like to get an answer to this as well. I am having the same problem, and I can assure you all it isnt normal. there is a vertical tear that persists beyond all that ive tried. with all settings a default or maxed. it does seem that vertical sync is not working. I have tried running the program on one core instead of 4 since that can sometimes mess things up (it did in wow), but still tearing. I hope you can get an answer to this since this is by far the best nes Em ive found. the filters you guys are using are beautiful ... wish you guys made SNES emulator =)

This is not a game issue either, since ALL the games do it.

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 10/23/09 08:13 AM.
T
T
I have tested and tried several games under Nestopia 1.40 just to ensure I recall correctly that I do not experience any screen tearing either vertical or horizontal. I can confirm, I do not. Games tested include: Castlevania III (Intro), Legend Of Kage, Xevious, and Super Mario Bros. II.

These are my settings which result in perfect screen scrolling both horizontal and vertical, tested under Display options: Standard, NTSC and Hqx.

DISPLAY...
Monitor Frequency: Auto
Memory Pool: Video

SPEED...
Use Default is checked.
Alt Speed = 120

TIMING...
Sync to refresh rate is checked.
VSync is checked.
Use High Precision Timer is checked.
Enable Triple Buffering is checked.

I am not stating the above MUST be followed in order to achieve no screen tearing (Either horizontal or/and vertical), but what is proven to work in my case.

-Trebor

L
Lex Offline
L
Remember, input lag is present with VSync on, as documented and described in detail on the bug tracker. If you want to have a somewhat positive game experience in an action game in Nestopia, I recommend disabling VSync until the bug is fixed.

Bug described here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1880714&group_id=83320&atid=569064

Make sure you read the comments. The bug reporter did a LOT of research and added it in his comments.

T
T
Originally Posted By Lex
Remember, input lag is present with VSync on, as documented and described in detail on the bug tracker. If you want to have a somewhat positive game experience in an action game in Nestopia, I recommend disabling VSync until the bug is fixed.

I am going to respectfully disagree with your above statements. I am not denying what you, the individual who posted the "bug" or anyone else who plays Nestopia experiences. Nonetheless, it is my experience that there is no noticable input lag. I play with VSync on and the Super Mario Bros. series, Castlevania series, Rygar, Spelunker, Rush 'n Attack, Elevator Action, Gyruss, and other titles all play without issue including no input lag.

If you have a specific game in mind when referencing "action game(s)" in Nestopia which I haven't already mentioned, I would be happy to try it and see if I notice any difference/lag in input response. I also compared with Nintendulator and found the response time and reaction the same.

Again, this is *my* experience using Nestopia. Sorry to read some users are having issues, but I would recommend for each user to try it for themselves. My action gaming in Nestopia is nothing but positive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (crazyc, John IV, 1 invisible), 54 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020