Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50281 05/24/09 01:03 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I'm pretty reluctant to post this, since I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something entirely blatant here.

I've just gotten back into the CoCo end of things after having been out since probably 1994. I managed to get (after some serious struggle; documentation I did find was pretty sketchy) OS-9 Level 2 to work with a VHD, but then decided it was time to try moving up to a 6309 with NitrOS-9.

Now, from what I recall, RS-DOS doesn't exactly support 40 or 80 tracks by default. Back in the day, I used ADOS3 to read the disks, but that hasn't worked here. Trying to boot the NOS-9 disks just brings me back to OK immmediately. Next step was to try replacing my disk rom with the emulator revision of RGBDOS.

That didn't go entirely well until I caught wind of the fact I needed to cut two bytes off the top of the new disk11.rom to use it. RGBDOS is seeing the hard disk just fine, and I've even formatted it. Now I get to the problem point-- I use driveoff to go back to the floppy and type DOS to boot... absolutely nothing. I'm immediately back to an OK prompt.

I've tried to boot 40 and 80 track NOS-9 disk images for both 6809 and 6309 on their respective machine types on MESS with the same results for each.

I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something very simple and embarassing, but I can't figure out what. Anyone have any hints or suggestions?

T
T
If you change the disk extension from .dsk to .os9 (for OS-9 formatted disks), MESS will read LSN0 to get the correct geometry of the image file.

tim lindner
tlindner@macmess.org
F
OP Offline
F
I'm starting to think there's something really funny with the disk images for the NOS-9 VHD support. I couldn't get them to boot on VCC either, though the NOS-9 install disks themselves boot just fine on VCC where they won't on MESS.

Well, I'll see if I can't get NOS9 to see the HD on VCC. The hard disk image is directly compatible across both, so if I can get it to install to the VHD, maybe it'll work in MESS after that.

Last edited by Firehawke; 05/24/09 02:26 PM. Reason: I had this sitting in buffer while I was playing with VCC, and completely missed the post above me. I'll give that a quick shot and see what happens.
F
OP Offline
F
After renaming to .OS9 the official NOS9 disks work fine. NitrOS9Boot as it comes with RGBDOS is not working on either VCC or MESS, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the package.

It won't boot at all, with the exact same issue as before-- dumping me to the desktop. If I boot to NOS9, then try to copy and install the hdrive driver, that just gives me an error 214 (No permission). That makes me think the RGBDOS package I have might just be too old for the NOS9 I'm using, maybe?

I've been out of the CoCo scene far too long. This feels pretty foreign, which annoys me all the more since I grew up with the machine in question.

Originally Posted By Firehawke
After renaming to .OS9 the official NOS9 disks work fine. NitrOS9Boot as it comes with RGBDOS is not working on either VCC or MESS, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the package.

It won't boot at all, with the exact same issue as before-- dumping me to the desktop. If I boot to NOS9, then try to copy and install the hdrive driver, that just gives me an error 214 (No permission). That makes me think the RGBDOS package I have might just be too old for the NOS9 I'm using, maybe?

I've been out of the CoCo scene far too long. This feels pretty foreign, which annoys me all the more since I grew up with the machine in question.

This zip file contains the "EmuDsk" driver for an OS9 hard drive mounted on H0 in MESS or VCC with a geometry of:
cylinders=90 or 0x5A, sides=64 or 0x40, sectors per track=64 or 0x40
Capacity=368640 sectors or about 94 megs.

EmuDsk.zip

R
R
Firehawke,
I don't know where you obtained the RGBDOS package but why are you posting here instead of contacting the author of the RGBDOS package, the author of VCC, or on a Coco specific site such as coco3.com or coco@maltedmedia.com?
After all, you are claiming there is a problem with the RGBDOS package not MESS. As the author of that package with well publicized contact information, I'm quite willing to provide support by e-mail. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MAMEBase, 1 invisible), 45 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,879
Posts116,781
Members4,959
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com