MESS and the 3-year-rule #57602 01/06/10 12:02 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
How flexible is the 3-year rule?

Let's say there's a console that's 2.5 years old right now, but it's a crappy Chinese knockoff, and not from anything remotely resembling a major manufacturer. Say, the Chintendo Vii, also known as the KenSingTon Sport Vii, which is also known as the Junglesoft Vii, and is also lastly known as the Siatronics Vii. Yeah, it's kind of a piece of crap.

If I were to submit a proper CPU core and driver for it, what are the chances that it would stay in?

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Just Desserts] #57603 01/06/10 12:46 AM
F
Firewave Offline
F
I guess if you just submit the CPU core and keep the driver to yourself it's okay. And AFAIK there is no actual three-year-rule, but a not-making-any-more-money-of-it-since-three-years-rule and a dont-put-it-in-or-we-will-sue-rule.
Just take a look at the pile Rapid Fire came from and look at the various reasons why that stuff isn't in yet.

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Firewave] #57606 01/06/10 04:29 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Firewave
Just take a look at the pile Rapid Fire came from and look at the various reasons why that stuff isn't in yet.

Actually...

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Just Desserts] #57614 01/06/10 11:17 AM
G
Guru Offline
G
Originally Posted By Just Desserts
Originally Posted By Firewave

Actually...

Well it fits the same criteria as you mentioned above. Rapid Fire is a piece of crap too wink
consoles tend to have a longer life span than arcade games. if it's a knock-off of a wii then it's unlikely that it'll be allowed until the wii is dead for 3 years or more. considering it's got the most sales from the current gen consoles that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Guru] #57615 01/06/10 11:34 AM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
it could well be a NES/SNES/N64 x-in-1 console... they love to use newer console names for their crappy bootlegs, in China...

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: etabeta78] #57616 01/06/10 11:52 AM
incog Offline
I would add it in its entirety, the 3 year rule only really matters if the company is still making software and therefore money from it.

I wouldn't add a PS2 driver yet even though that's much older, but I would add this and even some newer Wii clones/TV games.

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: incog] #57622 01/06/10 03:26 PM
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Certainly I would not even contemplate anything for which new games are still being sold in shops (PS2, PS3, PSP, XBOX, XBOX360, Wii, DS), or where the originating company is still selling the console/computer/device.

Apart from that, I would say anything else is fair game.

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Guru] #57623 01/06/10 03:41 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Guru
if it's a knock-off of a wii then it's unlikely that it'll be allowed until the wii is dead for 3 years or more.

That's ridiculous. It's a knock-off of a Wii that runs cartridges, not Wii games, has a shitty epoxy blob'd PCB that's so small that the actual Vii unit has a fricking metal weight in the bottom of the case to weigh it down. What's next, MAMEdev not wanting to touch a bootleg because it sounds like a popular one?

Originally Posted By incog
I would add it in its entirety, the 3 year rule only really matters if the company is still making software and therefore money from it.

I wouldn't add a PS2 driver yet even thoughg that's much older, but I would add this and even some newer Wii clones/TV games.

Exactly, though they're not even Wii "clones", they're based around a 10-odd MHz 16-bit microprocessor from SunPlus. The companies are no longer making any Vii cartridges, at this point they're just flogging it to attract confused grandparents who only know that their kids really like "the Mario".

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Just Desserts] #57625 01/06/10 03:47 PM
M
Micko Offline
M
Think there is no issue of adding this to MESS since machine itself is fraud and think they are having more issues since they are using name similar to other system, then we could have it by adding it to MESS.

See no reason not to add. Problems could only appear if system is widely spreaded that have big company with bunch of lawyers standing and waiting to sue someone, and those we are not mentioning here.

Re: MESS and the 3-year-rule [Re: Micko] #57626 01/06/10 04:06 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
JD probably should have been more clear up front: this is a China-only cartridge system using similar (16-bit 2D) hardware to some of the "TV Plug and Play" units. The hardware's nothing like the Wii even though the controller and software are obvious ripoffs. (Awesomely the TV ads are near shot-for-shot remakes of Nintendo's ads - it's a whole new level of Chinese ripoff).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TeamE, AJR), 59 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,791
Posts115,714
Members4,908
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020