Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Kevg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
G'day, I use a program called Joy to Key to map joystick buttons on my arcade machine to things like Escape and Alt-Enter etc. This works fine for Mame but not for Mess. Any ideas why this might be, or an alternative solution?
Thanks.

H
H
If you are emulating a computer system in MESS, you will need to toggle the full/partial emulation mode to be able to exit a game (it's mapped to Scroll Lock by default). If it's not working on something like the NES driver however, I have no idea; maybe doing a simple control remap in the MESS options could work for you.

Another thing which might present a slight 'problem' is using the new UI, which adds a Snes9x style menu bar at the top. IIRC, the new UI was slightly different than the MAME style interface; you might have better results using the classic MAME-like UI if you're using a MAME cabinet. This is a simple change if you want the MAME style interface, just open up .\ini\mess.ini and change newui 0 to newui 1. It's right down the bottom of my INI file. This will give you the in-game tab menu and everything else you're used to in MAME.

D
Online Content
D
Actually you need to change newui to 0 to get the tab menu.

H
H
I am a douche.

K
Kevg Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Oops, my mistake, it doesn't work from MAME either. Mapped the correct keys in UI interface instead.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Yeah MAME/MESS use low-level methods to detect input so programs like that that try to fake them out don't work. There's no point anyway because mapping joystick inputs is fully supported.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Vas Crabb, Duke, AJR), 48 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020