H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By judge
romident is reasonably fast with the current set of xml files:
Code:
time ./messd -romident ~/Projects/Emulation/MessSoftware/neogeo_pocket/roms/0116\ SNK\ vs\ Capcom\ Card\ Fighters\ Clash\ 2\ Expand\ Edition\ \[\!\].npc

0116 SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash 2 Expand Edition [!].npc= snk vs. capcom - card fighters 2 - expand edition (japan).bin  ngp:svccard2 SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters 2 - Expand Edition (Jpn)

real	0m0.359s
user	0m0.170s
sys	0m0.034s

Currently there is no locking down, but that could be added by signing the xml files and checking the signature when starting the emulator or when opening an xml file.

That's actually a lot faster than I expected, I wonder how well it will scale.

I'm still not convinced on the security / signing side of things yet tho. The last thing I want is people reporting bugs using older xml files and set names because they prefered to not update their roms (which changes to the roms could easily have renamed sets and replaced bad dumps etc.)

The developer / publisher thing I'm not sure about. The same rom can potentially be published by different companies in different regions anyway. Mame tends to put all of that info into one field, which isn't always optimal, but there are so many variations it's impractical to do much else. (most Toaplan games have about 4 different licencees for 6+ regions, and they don't get listed)

For longer dates, it might not always be practical either.. MAME has a policy of using the year of the first published revision. Of course, except for with games where the software contains version information, or the rom labels are useful it's hard to know if the supported sets really are the first revision anyway. Of course, it would help solve 'which came first xx or yy' debates when the year is the same which comes up quite often with similar early arcade titles when they were being pumped out in the 80s.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: etabeta78] #59249 02/18/10 11:42 AM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Some exmaples would be:
Code:
1. mess megadriv -cart megadriv:columns
2. mess amiga -flop0 amiga:bigdemo1:flop1 -flop1 amiga:bigdemo1:flop2

When software lists do get tied with drivers then
Code:
mess megadriv -cart columns

could be made possible by looking for the first matching columns entry in one of the lists associated with the megadriv driver.

The code to do all this hasn't been made yet, this is just how I see things could be made working.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: judge] #59251 02/18/10 11:50 AM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By judge
Some exmaples would be:
Code:
1. mess megadriv -cart megadriv:columns
2. mess amiga -flop0 amiga:bigdemo1:flop1 -flop1 amiga:bigdemo1:flop2

When software lists do get tied with drivers then
Code:
mess megadriv -cart columns

could be made possible by looking for the first matching columns entry in one of the lists associated with the megadriv driver.

The code to do all this hasn't been made yet, this is just how I see things could be made working.

Again I question the -cart switch etc. These are my *main* issue with mess for basic use right now. They're ambiguous. The lists should know what each thing is, and extra switches shouldn't be needed unless you want to override the default.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Haze] #59253 02/18/10 11:57 AM
N
netol Offline
N
and why not
Quote:
mess megadrive columns

"megadriv" doesn't sound nice

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Haze] #59254 02/18/10 12:02 PM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
That may be an improvement for later when lists are actually usable. Not sure if it's worth all the trouble yet, most end-users will likely end up using a frontend of some kind.

I personally like to explicitly tell programs what to do. I've gotten into too many fights with programs because they decided to think for themselves.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Haze] #59258 02/18/10 12:22 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
from the way I see the possible implementation, I think the list should not be specified at command line if not necessary: i.e. each driver should have a small set of 'default' lists (say one for each device). more complex things like cross compatibility (say between coupe and spectrum, or aleste and msx carts) can be allowed by letting the user specify the gamelist to be used as a separate option (say "mess aleste -list msx_carts -cart game")

as a further step, we might allow a command like "mess megadrive columns", by browsing (default) lists in the order they have been added in the source and by launching the first match found

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: netol] #59260 02/18/10 12:42 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By netol
and why not
Quote:
mess megadrive columns

"megadriv" doesn't sound nice

because megadriv is the parent and parents must have names shorter than 8 chars. (and no, making genesis parent is not a great solution, if we want to match MAME habit of setting European releases as parent, being usually the latest)

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: etabeta78] #59262 02/18/10 02:20 PM
L
Lord Nightmare Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
Originally Posted By etabeta78

preliminary question: is there any case where a single piec of software (say a cart) needs to load different part of its content to different rom regions (and not simply to different offsets of the same rom region)?

NES has separate address spaces for PPU-accessible rom/vram and cpu-accessible rom/ram.

I think neogeo AES also has separate spaces for gfx roms and sound roms and code roms? (not sure about this)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Lord Nightmare] #59263 02/18/10 02:44 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content OP
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yes, NES and AES both (should in the NES case, does in the AES one) load to multiple regions, and I think TI99 does as well.

The -cart/-flop/-hard switches should continue to be used only for "unlisted" media. Using them in conjunction with the lists IMO makes MESS *more* complex instead of less. And the system name prefix is unnecessary since you've already specified it. "mess genesis sonic2" or "mess snes -cart CGFM_Mode7_Demo.bin" should be fine.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #59267 02/18/10 04:13 PM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
You will need the system prefix if you want to mount software from a different system. Msx floppies read fine on a pc and pc dd floppies could be read on an msx (it's all microsoft..). The emulation and lists should not disallow the user from doing that; or inserting a pc floppy in an amiga floppy drive: they are all 3.5" floppies.

Page 30 of 120 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 119 120

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (R. Belmont, Pernod, Heihachi_73, 1 invisible), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,683
Posts114,012
Members4,863
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019