Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
I'm using SDLMESS 0.136 with M+GUI on Linux. I was just curious if anyone is able to view C64 demos using SDLMESS? For example, the files on this site: http://www.c64.ch/demos/

Basically none of the ones I tried do anything. I also converted the d64 images to g64 images and it didn't make any difference. I also tried the Vice emulator and it also doesn't seem to work. What is the trick? I'd prefer to use SDLMESS as opposed to Vice anyway. Thanks for any help.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
For demoscene stuff you're far ahead to use VICE at this time. That said, there have been issues with disk images and MESS's new hardware drive emulation, so it would help if you'd name a few specific disks we can check out.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
many improvements to the floppy code have been made after 0.136. I definitely suggest to try with the latest version, which also supports again d64 images.

@Arbee: after Curt's work on the floppy drives, MESS is not anymore that far away from VICE (thanks also to the VIC2 code borrowed by Robiza from Frodo)... you might want to try out the latest versions wink

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the reply. I noticed in the 0.137 release notes there was work performed on the D64 support.

I can't get Vice to work on these either. Here are 3 examples.

http://www.c64.ch/demos/download.php?id=790
http://www.c64.ch/demos/download.php?id=7177
http://www.c64.ch/demos/download.php?id=1466

C
C
Keep in mind that this probably has nothing to do with D64 file support, instead maybe CPU/CIA/etc emulation...

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By Curt Coder
Keep in mind that this probably has nothing to do with D64 file support, instead maybe CPU/CIA/etc emulation...

I guess you're right. I can't get Vice to work, and sometimes when it almost works it will halt the CPU.

W
W
Originally Posted By mochamame
I can't get Vice to work on these either. Here are 3 examples.

I was able to get all three demos to work perfectly for me under WinVice v2.1 and CCS64 v3.7. You have to make sure you have the system in PAL mode (VICE: Options > Video Standard > PAL-G) as they will not work under NTSC (as with a lot of C64 demos). It probably wouldn't hurt to keep "True drive emulation" turned on as well. It's probably not needed by a lot of demos but most games in G64 format will definitely need it.

I was also able to get Duex Ex Machine to run in MESS using the PAL C64 (c64cpal), however it has some graphical issues and the sound stutters occasionally. Edge of Disgrace would have probably also worked except that when you have to switch disks the emulated C64 doesn't realize the disks have been swapped. Dream Injection will also run in MESS but the video freezes after the disk swap, however the sound/music continues to play perfectly so it's just a video emulation issue.

To run the Dream Injection demo you have to make sure to load the second file on the disk (with the word DEMO in the title). If you LOAD"*",8,1 it will just freeze - probably an attempt to keep lamers from watching the demo (just kidding heh).

W
W
Also, I'm not sure if anyone is still maintaining the C64 driver but somewhere along the line the border area has gotten messed up. They used to be even on all sides (as they should be) but now the top and left borders are much smaller than the bottom and right borders. This is more noticeable on the NTSC 64 (c64).

If I had to guess I would say this started when the new VIC-II emulation was added. I'll try to do a regression test if I get some time.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
there are at least 3 people working from time to time on c64 (Curt, robiza and myself) and work is going on even if slowly

about the reported issue, some regression test would help a lot (e.g. was the issue introduced by the new VIC-II code, or by the conversion to a device, or by some other random change?)

thanks

W
W
Originally Posted By etabeta78
about the reported issue, some regression test would help a lot

Consider it done. I'll post my findings to this thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Olivier Galibert), 28 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,094
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com