Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61203 04/19/10 12:43 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I don't know what it is supposed to do / Does not work as I expect.

I'm not sure about this one, but on a SMS emulator I have this option named "Disable sprit limiter" which allows to draw more sprites per frame than on a real console, thus eliminate the flickering.

I tried to turn "No sprite limit" on and off but it does not seem to stop the flickering. Is this option for something totally different? Am I just doing it wrong?

I tried with Ducktales (USA), amazonia level first cave down the liana there is a lot of flickering because of the two spiders.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
That is what the option does, but some games do further trickery with sprites. That causes flicker for a different reason so that option isn't guaranteed to always eliminate all flicker.

J
OP Offline
J
Ok, because I could not find many games with flickering to begin with (I probably did not test the right ones), and the one I found weren't corrected.

I have tested the option with some shooters, which I believe are the most prone to sprite limit flickering. Summer Carnival 92 Recca got A LOT of flickering in the lvl 2 that is not corrected with the option. Crisis Force seems really well programmed as I could find almost no flickering (at least in the beginning) apart for here and there and its barely noticeable. Again not corrected. And in Duck Tales, first post.

I know these kind of customizations are not on the sheet for an emu that strives for accuracy, but it adds a lot of comfort playing. I hope someone will look into improving this side of Nestopia.

A
Village Idiot
Village Idiot
A
Try Commando.
may Commando is the more bad coded nes game ever.
is the king of flickering.
the second is 1942

title Village Idiot is bug of bad understand,but was forgotten to fix it.
A
AWJ Offline
A
Some games just don't draw all their sprites every frame. There's nothing an emulator can do about that; you can't emulate sprites that aren't there.

Recca, in particular, probably has more than 64 sprites during its busier scenes and rotates which 64 it draws each frame.

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (mixmaster, Kaylee), 21 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,073
Posts118,958
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com