Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
OP Offline
T
I did jsut that, using IRC spy.... no results frown

I AM WRONG! SEE BELOW...

Oh and TheWalrus: the Saturn did all it's 3D in 2D by rotating shapes to form the polygons (no really!) where the Model1 arcade has a dedicated 3D board.

That's why the Saturn lost out to the PlayStation: it focussed on sprite-based games but 3D was coming into vogue. They managed to make a few 3D games on the Saturn but they were generally harder to make than on a PlayStation (the numerous processors working together on the Saturn didn't make for easy programming either!).

Ice

T
OP Offline
T
So, the Sega Saturn OS2 was just a way of showing sprites as polygons?

T
OP Offline
T
I'm checking IRC channels at the moment, does anyone here know a nice channel to chat at this hour (its 2:41 in the Netherlands)?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
First off, we can't give links to ROM sites, and we also can't allow posting names of IRC channels with ROMs.

Secondly, IceMan is incorrect about the Saturn. Quads are a perfectly valid way to do 3d. Model 1 and Model 2 both are quad-based - they have no triangles. Given that, it's not exactly surprising that they went with quads for a home system which was designed at the same time as Model 2. (Indeed, many elements of Saturn's design mirror Model 2's, although ironically not as exactly as the PlayStation 2 did later).

Nvidia's NV-1 chip also was quad-based, which is why it came with better than usual ports of several Sega arcade games (and supported plugging in Saturn controllers). When MS dictated triangles only for D3D they switched for the Riva 128.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Oh, and Oz: 16726 is also found in the Sega Rally set. (It's the network board's program).

Ah well, some you win, some you lose, but with hardware information quoting, most I lose!

I'll keep quiet in future!

Ice

O
Oz Offline
O
Thank a lot RB...
I havent' see my LAN board (fiouuuuuuu)...
It's right...it's 16726 wink
And a little add of the topic "3D capability"...
I have discovered that MODEL 2 have "flat shadded" lighting like MODEL 1 especially when i have played at VF2 in the stage of Wolf with the bridge and the thunder...(when the thunder light, the mountain look very "blocky" )...
A little default on one of the best hardware at the time...

T
OP Offline
T
I have the roms in my posession and there is some clear improvement. During the first seconds I was jumping around because the car started driving, but when everything messed up I was still quiet happy because there is progress.

Well, at least I can gaze at the intro. Long live those developers.

The Saturn was briljant on paper, with its high resolution mode it seemed to be able to do a better the arcade conversion of Daytona USA. AM2 did a demo of teh Daytona Car in the high resolution mode. To bad that didn't have anything to with the real deal on the Saturn.

T
OP Offline
T
Model 2 games still look decent, playing Daytona in the arcades is still a great experience even though the dreamcast version was better in the looks department.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 27 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,990
Posts118,128
Members5,005
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com