Page 56 of 120 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 119 120
Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #61786 05/13/10 08:03 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
The situation remains the same with those 2 discs: nobody at redump or TOSEC has any idea how to handle that, a lot of commercial ripping software won't even touch it, and since those guys are all a lot smarter about CDs than I am I'm not going to attempt to touch it. The revised format has a provision for data blocks in the pregap so we don't have to change the format again but at this time I have no answers on how that should be implemented.

In the meantime I understand we have a working CHD of the Apprentice even without this support so perhaps everyone is over-complicating it.

well it 'works' because the pregap has been converted into a data track and all the audio tracks shuffled up by one, so I'm surprised it plays the right music at all. Of course, that might just be how a real CDI sees the discs.

It also hangs with the CDDA emulation, but that's MGs problem afaik, it floods the CPU with too many interrupts during CD playback from what I can see and thus gets stuck with only enough cpu time to play the music, not service other interrupt requests.

That's why I said it might be worth talking to CDiFan about, he seems to know more about the format / discs / what the CDi sees than most people.

I think for the sake of sanity dumps which haven't been dumped with approved methods will have to be supported and marked as 'BAD DUMP' until they're dumped properly, for many systems there are games out there which simply aren't going to get dumped properly anytime soon; these being a prime example, as well as prototype discs etc. (some only exist as ISO/MP3, which can be converted to a bin/cue/chd, but urgh, why did people do that.. they're still important for testing drivers until they get better dumps tho)

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Haze] #61787 05/13/10 08:45 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Haze
It also hangs with the CDDA emulation, but that's MGs problem afaik, it floods the CPU with too many interrupts during CD playback from what I can see and thus gets stuck with only enough cpu time to play the music, not service other interrupt requests.

???

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Just Desserts] #61788 05/13/10 09:30 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By Just Desserts
Originally Posted By Haze

???

The Apprentice hasn't worked properly since you added CDDA. I told you this at the time, it takes 3-4 attempts to get ingame, and if you manage that it usually hangs once you finish a level. (and yes, the music is playing properly, it just hangs, doing nothing except playing the music)

Unless you have a different CHD, but the one I was using behaves like that, and works fine if you remove the CDDA related stuff. I'd know if there were software-lists so everybody knew exactly what other people were using...

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Haze] #61789 05/13/10 09:57 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Oh, okay - that was totally not what I thought you meant. I thought you meant it was hanging while playing audio CDs, and I was like, "Haha, what, I've never even added support for audio CDs." smile

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #61795 05/14/10 06:30 AM
M
mahlemiut Offline
M
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Ideally fixed lists for CD media will be sourced from redump.org or similar "S&M-style" rippers with offset correction. The next version of CHDMAN (which I'm holding back to avoid potential breakage in the 0.138 release) will support bin/cue for input and output (bin/toc will still work as well) and will preserve pregap information.

This will be awesome for FM Towns also, as its BIOS expects the first track to be at 02:00 (the CD controller uses MSF format for disc locations), and should allow be to get CD-DA working correct for games developed by Ving (because they like to hard-code the audio track locations). I can get rid of the hack that I use to read the data track, hopefully. grin

- Barry Rodewald
Re: Fixed software lists [Re: mahlemiut] #61804 05/14/10 03:27 PM
S
Stiletto Offline
S
Supposedly this is how to rip a CD-i, but I haven't checked to see if it mangles the tracks like Haze says: http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/cic/images/cd-i_burning_guide_v2.pdf

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Stiletto] #61805 05/14/10 03:53 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content OP
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
That guide is for making pirate backups. It's useless for what Haze is discussing, unfortunately.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #61823 05/15/10 11:43 PM
S
Stiletto Offline
S
Okay, thanks...

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Stiletto] #61828 05/16/10 10:09 AM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
FWIW, MESS User Manual has been updated with preliminary instructions for software lists: minor (but important) improvement compared to my blog entry is that I found out lists are handled by image.c and therefore are not limited to cartslot, even if only carts have been listed so far...

I plan to eventually integrate the instructions about lists with the ones about generic loading (probably ending up with some rewrite of the Manual here and there), but for the time being I hope the instructions are good enough for brave users which want to experiment with this.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: etabeta78] #61848 05/17/10 07:36 AM
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I found an issue with this, in Jaguar. I used the list to load a cart (from the command line obviously). Then I quit. Then I started messui, selected Jaguar, chose a quickload, and received an error. It wanted to load the cart and it was somehow mandatory. The only thing I could do was exit messui, go to command line and unload the cart. Not only that, it screwed around with jaguar.ini, restoring the rom path back to the default, thereby preventing the load of anything via the software list. Most annoying.

Page 56 of 120 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 119 120

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Carbon), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,734
Posts114,829
Members4,879
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020