Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62639 06/09/10 01:58 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I had been using MESS .128 before recently upgrading to the most recent version. After updating I noticed that all the TI-99/4A games with the .g .c or .d extensions were not showing up. After searching around a bit I found the thread describing how to change the extensions to .bin and found the ftp.whtech.com site and downloaded the .rpk files. I've been able to get all the games I had working again except for Scott Adams Adventures and Tunnels of Doom. I'm using the adventure.rpk and The Scott Adams Adventure splash screen loads but then it asks "Where is the data base?" In MESS .128 I would load both the .dsk and .G files and I would type DSK1.ADVENTUR or DSK1.PIRATE, etc., depending on which of the adventures I wanted to play, when asked "Where is the data base?" Now, it just says "No Such Device". Something similar happens when I try the tunnels_of_doom.rpk file.
Also, I noticed that ever game I run (it doesn't matter if its a .rpk file or a .g,.c,.d file I renamed to .bin), MESS tells me that "One or more ROMs/CHDs for this game are incorrect." However I don't get this error when loading the same files (except the .rpk which doesn't work in MESS .128) in MESS .128 where they still have their old .g,.c,.d extensions. The games seem to play fine, but having to type OK every time where I didn't have to before is a nuisance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Traj

svn release 8240 appears to work for this when test on my Mac.

M
M
Hello Traj,

you can check the progress of the TI emulations on the MESS Wiki or in more detail on www.ninerpedia.org.

If it says "No such device" it seems that either the floppy image is not in the correct device, that the image is unreadable (wrong density, but this should output another error) or that you just don't have a disk controller set active. The ".G" file is the GROM dump which is now contained in the RPK, so you don't use it anymore. So please check:

- The disk image should be put into flop1, the cartridge goes into cart1.
- The HFDC floppy controller is the preferred disk controller. When I switched from dip switches to configuration switches I dropped the defaults; I fixed that in the recent svn.

Please do not use the "bin", "C", ... dumps anymore. I think all cartridges should now be available as RPKs.

The message "One or more ROMs..." is very likely due to a missing optional ROM in your ti99_4a(e).zip and is not related to the cartridges. In particular, I added P-Code support (UCSD Pascal, 0.133). Although those ROMs which are loaded as optional are only required for the P-Code card which is only rarely used, the emulator will issue a warning that ROMs are missing. I'm already thinking about another extension mechanism; until then I can only suggest you to ignore that or get the ROMs for the P-Code card from somewhere.

Michael

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By mizapf

- The HFDC floppy controller is the preferred disk controller. When I switched from dip switches to configuration switches I dropped the defaults.

This is what fixed it for me. Thank You!

Originally Posted By mizapf

The message "One or more ROMs..." is very likely due to a missing optional ROM in your ti99_4a(e).zip and is not related to the cartridges. In particular, I added P-Code support (UCSD Pascal, 0.133). Although those ROMs which are loaded as optional are only required for the P-Code card which is only rarely used, the emulator will issue a warning that ROMs are missing. I'm already thinking about another extension mechanism; until then I can only suggest you to ignore that or get the ROMs for the P-Code card from somewhere.

Michael

You are correct again. I did an audit of the system and found 3 pc files missing. I found an updated rom pack and that fixed it. Thank you so much for your help and your work on MESS!

Last edited by Trajk Logik; 06/09/10 03:21 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Belmont, Vas Crabb), 65 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020