Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 94 of 120 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 119 120
Re: Fixed software lists [Re: franciscohs] #67026 01/23/11 10:11 AM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By franciscohs

1. I should be able to type in part of the game and use best match on the file manager to be able to choose the game, some lists are VERY long to browse over them. Likewise, if we don't use the software lists, some directories structures or rom folders can be pretty large too, so this feature would be nice through all the file manager.

I am still unable to improve this behaviour (UI is not my strong point). however, you should be able to use PGUP & PGDOWN to scroll faster lists and directories

My motivation about this is, why if I load from the UI using the software list I don't have to remember the media but if I do it from the command line I do? consistency. Even "mess snes -softlist smw" would be better.

because in the Internal UI you first select the media (floppy, cart or whatever) and afterwards you go to the softlist menu, so that MESS internally keeps track of which media should use

from command line MESS cannot read your mind and therefore, e.g. in the case of a2600 games with both a cart and a tape, MESS would not be able to know if you want the cart only, the tape only or both wink

Today I have to do a recursive lookup. "mess -showusage" -> this doesn't give a clue that the command line expects [media], just [system] and [options], and media is not listed in [options] either, just one options to list the kind of media, and only if you try that by chance, you get the kind of media you could load, and even then, you don't have the command line format to use them.

erm... actually the showusage output is (since quite some time)

mess <system> <device> <software> <option>

problem is that "device" should have been replace by "media", but nobody did it. it is now fixed in current svn: the sample command is now

mess <system> <media> <software> <option>

and -listmedia is given as command to retrieve a list of available media

3. There is "mess -listdevices" which lists the different systems and "mess -listmedia", but the output of that latter is:

SYSTEM DEVICE NAME (brief) IMAGE FILE EXTENSIONS SUPPORTED
---------- -------------------- ------------------------------------
3do cdrom (cdrm) .chd

Which lists "media" as "devices", this could be confusing.

I have just fixed the listmedia output too, which now properly labels the second column as "MEDIA NAME"

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: etabeta78] #67069 01/24/11 01:08 PM
F
franciscohs Offline
F
Originally Posted By etabeta78

from command line MESS cannot read your mind and therefore, e.g. in the case of a2600 games with both a cart and a tape, MESS would not be able to know if you want the cart only, the tape only or both wink

Ah! That's good to know, it makes sense. Now I remember the discussion regarding this.

Originally Posted By etabeta78

erm... actually the showusage output is (since quite some time)

mess <system> <device> <software> <option>

erm... I can swear I made a clean compile of latest SVN at the moment of writing this and it was as I said, strange... I'm now trying to compile the latest (#10179) but it fails out, so I'll have to check later.

Thanks for addressing these!

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #67073 01/24/11 01:37 PM
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
10180 is the latest..

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: franciscohs] #67074 01/24/11 02:04 PM
F
franciscohs Offline
F

erm... I can swear I made a clean compile of latest SVN at the moment of writing this and it was as I said, strange... I'm now trying to compile the latest (#10179) but it fails out, so I'll have to check later.

Well, it's as I said, although I'm using SDLMESS, I guess there is the difference...

~/dev/messsvn/mess $ ./mess64 -showusage
Usage: mess64 [system] [options]

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #67076 01/24/11 02:18 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content OP
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Eh? -showusage is a core function, SDL can't affect it AFAIK.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #67077 01/24/11 02:22 PM
F
franciscohs Offline
F
I supposed, but it's the only difference I saw. I can't explain why the difference then, I just compiled with latest SVN...

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: franciscohs] #67078 01/24/11 02:29 PM
Kaylee Offline

Seems the same as what I get when I run it. Here is the full output from mess (32-bit on WinXP Pro sp3)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ay2zy

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: franciscohs] #67079 01/24/11 02:38 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
[quote=Haze]
1. Since today launching "mess snes smw" will give an "unknown option" error, wouldn't it be nice to treat this case as the default behavior to look that parameter on the software lists (using the best match feature)?. I think this was discussed already but I don't recall what was the decision about it. My motivation about this is, why if I load from the UI using the software list I don't have to remember the media but if I do it from the command line I do? consistency. Even "mess snes -softlist smw" would be better.

The suggestion I've made before is that such a syntax would be used as part of a 'quickstart' system, which links systems, system configurations, and softlists together.

(as no filename is implied, you wouldn't be limited to 8 letter names, but obviously keeping them sensible, and preferably matching the softlists would be a good idea tho ;-)

In that case best match would best match the quickstarts rather than the softlists directly.

However, no such system exists yet.

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: Kaylee] #67085 01/24/11 05:14 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By Kaylee

Seems the same as what I get when I run it. Here is the full output from mess (32-bit on WinXP Pro sp3)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ay2zy

damn... I had fixed the -help output, not the showusage, which apparently has always shown the MAME one sinde the first day...

Re: Fixed software lists [Re: R. Belmont] #67147 01/27/11 07:58 AM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
showusage is not going to be fixed anytime soon, however Micko has fixed the annoying bug that was causing

mess foo -cart mygame

complaining about "unknown option -cart" instead of "unknown system foo". Now the error message is more reasonable smile

on other news, I have finally hooked up most lists to the respective drivers. some of these won't work, but at least the xml is validated internally

these changes leave out only the following lists (if I haven't forgotten any)

pc8001_cass (due to missing device in the driver)
pc8001_flop (due to missing device in the driver)
c64_cart (because I leave this to Curt)

a lot of work is still needed for a800 & a7800 (among others), but at least it is a first step in the right direction smile

Page 94 of 120 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 119 120

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Carbon), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,734
Posts114,829
Members4,879
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020