Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
OP Offline
F
So I thought I might give Mess a try. I download the package, read through the manual several times, and still cannot get the damned thing to run an NES game. No matter what game I pick, I get an error notice that says "Could not load controller file (followed by some Japanese characters and garbage).cfg, which also happens to completely hide my mouse pointer, making it next to impossible to try to close the window. When I do finally guess-click the window closed, the whole emulator gui closes. Yeah, that's real fucking great!

First off, what the hell is it talking about? 'Controller file' leads me to believe I need to map the controllers, but the options tabs for these give me no option to do so. This is totally retarded that you can't just follow intructions and load a damned game. It has to be this big mystery that isn't covered AT ALL in the documentation. I've just about had it with this crap!

Last edited by FirebrandX; 04/08/11 04:49 AM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
as you can see, this board is not full of people complaining about this problem. quite the opposite: there is a lot of people which have no issue at all starting NES games (or any other system for what it matters).

therefore, you should have wondered if the problem was at your end rather than in MESS... and that maybe complaining the way you did would have made *you* sound retarded.

anyway, trying to be constructive, why don't we try to debug the issue and see if there is an easy solution for you as well?

1. try to delete the ctrl/ & the cfg/ directories inside the MESS directory, and launch again MESS. Does the issue still appear?

even in the case that 1. fixes your problem (which I cannot even test, since I use MESS on MacOSX) could you please also try the following?

2. copy mess.exe (not messui) in your C:\ folder, put a NES games in C:\, open the Command Prompt and type first

cd C:\

and press enter to move in the C:\ folder, and then

mess.exe nes -cart YourNESGame.zip

and press enter to launch command line MESS

The answers to this second question might help us to understand if the problem is in the User Interface.

F
OP Offline
F
I thought somebody might try to claim it's somehow my fault, but the simple fact is I followed instructions exactly, and its the PACKAGE at fault, not me. This is my first time trying MESS (the package is 142). I have MAMEUI64, which works perfectly fine, so I'm already familiar with the layout.

So yes, let's be constructive here and prove that it's the package's fault:

1. When I opened the zip, there was the following files in it:

An artwork folder.
A hash folder.
mess.chm file (which I've read every word of over a dozen times now).
mess.exe file.
messui.exe file.
sysinfo.dat file.

2. Upon extracting the contents and running the messui.exe, I then set the NES roms directory under the gui directory options.

3. Now the Gui shows my roms list, and upon trying to run a game from that list, I get the controller file not found error.

4. Upon closing messui, I can now see there is an additional MESSUI.ini file, an additional ini folder, and an additional nvram folder. That's it. Nothing else.

5. The messui controller options tab does not allow me to map a controller. Additionally, the tab where you are suppose to be able to select a controller file has 'standard' listed.

6. I further discovered I could copy my MAME cntrlr folder over into the MESS folder, and this would allow me to select the 'Sample Controller File' that was contained in the MAME cntrlr folder (although the error I now get is "Could not load Sample Controller File.cfg").

This leads me to conclude that the messui is not generating a proper controller folder and file, thus causing the error. The problem is I have no means to fix this. Whoever made this package needs to set it up so that either:

A. The controller folder comes included with an intact and working controller file.

Or

B. Actually fixes messui to generate a controller folder and working controller file so that new people to MESS like myself don't think the package designers are missing a blatant flaw.

F
OP Offline
F
Update:

I was able to fix the issue myself, and it WAS the fault of the package download. As I stated above, I was able to reason out that the messui.exe was expecting a 'ctrlr' folder to exist with the appropriate 'standard' controller file. I was able to generate a nes controller file by running mess in command prompt and assigning controller buttons. When I exited mess, a 'cfg' folder was created, which contained the nes controller file. I took this file and placed it into a 'ctrlr' folder I made myself in the mess directory. I then loaded messui, went to the controller tab, and was able to select the nes controller file I had copied over. FINALLY the game loaded with no error warnings.

So to conclude:

Those downloading the mess package for the first time like myself WILL encounter the exact same problem if they try to use messui to run their games. This is because the package fails to include the ctrlr folder and 'standard' controller file, nor does messui properly generate such a folder to begin with.

I was 100% correct in my findings that the package as released is broken.

Last edited by FirebrandX; 04/08/11 06:37 AM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I was not excluding that it's a problem in the package, but since I'm on MacOSX, I had no way to test it directly. thanks to your investigation, we might avoid making again the same mistake with next release.

in conclusion, the problem seems to be in MESSUI (and not MESS) requiring something in the ctrl/ folder to properly start. this should not be mandatory (nor it was in older versions), and we will try to find a fix. probably other users did not encounter this new problem because they had already an old version and therefore all the files had already been created in the past.

as you might have noticed if you use MAME too, the UI code is not really developed anymore (e.g. MAMEUI 0.142 has huge memory consumption which nobody has been able yet to track down exactly, in order to find what is the cause) and MESS uses the same code having the exact same issues (+ some more, apparently).

a workaround (until some of the devs using windows found and fix the problem you have experienced) is to use mess.exe with a frontend and simply ignore messui.exe.

EDIT: and, to conclude, maybe if in your first post you would have simply said 'the released package has an issue' instead of claiming the documentation being incomplete and the emulator being not working (when it clearly is working, as trying command line would have proven), maybe you would have received more help. otoh, based on your posts I can conclude that your attitude sucks. period. go back using a different emu, if you prefer.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By FirebrandX
Yeah, that's real fucking great!

First off, what the hell is it talking about? 'Controller file' leads me to believe I need to map the controllers, but the options tabs for these give me no option to do so. This is totally retarded that you can't just follow intructions and load a damned game. It has to be this big mystery that isn't covered AT ALL in the documentation. I've just about had it with this crap!

Talking like that about something that is free, and others have put years of time into, is not the way to get friendly help. With your attitude, perhaps you should use something else and get out of here.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
In fairness to the OP, MESSUI is pretty broken at the moment and that should be made more clear.

J
J

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Actually, for me at least, MESSUI seems to be working quite fine.

After talking on the channel, I decided to replicate the problem, only to find that my mess.ini has always pointed to a non-existent ctrlr folder. Both MESS and MESSUI seem to cope with this perfectly well.

So not only could I not create the issue, but I should have been the subject of it for some time!

R
R
Try the related problem of starting MESS without specifying any options. WinXP SP3 Home 32-bit

C:\mingw\mess>mess
0022E858: 0140DE30 (not found)
0022EAD8: 01227BE5 (not found)
0022EB68: 010747BD (not found)
0022F938: 0109D3D9 (not found)
0022FBB8: 011E5964 (not found)
0022FF28: 00BC41AF (not found)
0022FFC0: 004013B9 (not found)
0022FFF0: 7C817077 (RegisterWaitForInputIdle+0x0049)
Could not load controller file τǵτ░⌐w%d x %d.cfg

C:\mingw\mess>

An empty ctrlr folder is present and mess.ini points to it. Regardless, this should not happen as no system was specified.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,231
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com