Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
OP Offline
Q
I wanted to give MESS a piece of software that I know is very rare on the C64, it the next version of a popular assembler call Buddy 64 and Buddy 128, version 8.2 is whats out on the net and mine is version 10.
The problem is Curt wants it dumped in G64 format which I see as over dumping the disk with data that will NEVER be used by MESS or the programs on the disk, all it going to show is how accurate Chris Miller's drive adjusted when he made the copy for me. I told him what I thought of using a G64 format instead of D64 format, and all he basically said it was more accurate, I came back with a different solution to the problem, and he still insisted it should be dumped with a parallel cable. I finally asked for a technical reasons behind the insists of using a G64, and all he did was blow me off, and say 'ok, then don't do it'. So my response is 'there is NO technical reasons'...

All I wanted to understand WHY, I should spend money on a cable I will never use again, I would have done too, if he had a good reason but I guess, I should drop the disks in a shredder at least that would make me feel good now. Either way, I am keeping the D64 files...

Sorry about venting, but it really gets to me sometimes when people act like this. It reminds me the 80s on L337 BBSes, I would sometimes use....

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Look at it this way: having too much information about something can never bite you in the ass 5 years down the line, while having too little has been a near-constant expense in both time and money for MAMEdev and the various dumpers over the years. (Hell, it costs users too since the sets keep getting invalidated as more data is dumped and so everyone has to re-download the roms again).

Also, as far as I'm aware, the "extra" data in G64 dumps is used right now by both MESS and VICE. Both emulators have to synthesize that data when D64 images are used, whereas it's just there for G64. So you actually save a little CPU time avoiding the synthesis operation.

Online Content
Dumping to .g64 and dumping with parallel cable are 2 different things. You can perfectly well dump a disk as .g64 with the serial cable, you don't need a parallel cable for that.

I don't know if there exists Windows software for that now (except Kryoflux, which has its own problems discussed elsewhere) but there is definitely mnib by Markus Brenner which runs in DOS and creates G64 files from a 1541 attached via serial (XE1541) cable alone.

Edit: correction, it seems that mnib (in its current form) can't dump disks without parallel cable. I'm pretty sure it did work in the past though. I'll have to re-check which version I used... Or maybe I used some other tool... it has been some years *sigh*

-Darkstar

Last edited by Darkstar; 06/01/11 05:26 PM.
C
C
I don't want it dumped in G64 format... nibtools has its own format (nib/nbz) which is later converted to G64 for convenience. The C64 softlist is based on images approved by C64PP and I don't intend to include anything else.

There is absolutely no reason to use ancient imperfect archiving methods in 2011 when there is a $35 USB interface and free software capable of archiving every flux change on the disks. Anyway this is all pointless since the disk in question isn't even an original.

Btw, also MESS converts all D64 images into G64 internally before they are used.

Last edited by Curt Coder; 06/01/11 05:36 PM.
Q
OP Offline
Q
RB, what would the problem 5 years on? I have been using the Software for 20 YEARS. The following drives I have FILE copied it to over the years, 1541, 1571 (double sided), FD2000 (Native), Ramlink (Native), Ramdos (1750 and clone) and I have never had a problem using the files on the disk. The ONLY drive that I own and not used it on is my SFD1001, since I don't have and IEEE cables for it. It uses NO disk protection, I got it from the Author of the program for a cost of $25 plus shipping, and he told me to back up the disk and don't use the originals disk, I wouldn't have done that unless it was stated that way in his letter that came with the disks.

I understand what your saying but this disk has been used for over 20 years on multiply disc formats.

I could have lied and told Curt, I copied the disks the 'correct' way and then just file copied them with Vice to a G64 disk, which also works just fine.

I was just trying to be nice and share a updated version of a popular Assembler on the C64.

Since I am the ONLY one who have every said anything about version 10, I very much doubt you will ever find another copy of the disk, unless Chris himself comes forward with it. This is NOT a mass produced disk, but a disk most likely 2 minute or file copied by the Author himself over 20 years ago.

I guess in the end, I don't want to spend more $$ on some toy that I will NEVER use again.

BTW you did a better job that Curt did....

I will be nice and give Mess team to redeem yourselves by finding someone in the Midwest (USA) to copy the disks for me, and I would send to them, as long as I got them back. Heck I would have even included all the other games I have too.... The problem is I don't know anyone use a the correct cables and I am not spending money on them...

I still think it silly to copy disks in a format that is unneeded, like Buddy.

Q
OP Offline
Q
Originally Posted By Curt Coder
Anyway this is all pointless since the disk in question isn't even an original.

So the Author of the program can't update his software? I did buy it from Chris for $25 plus shipping, 20+ years ago....

I think you mean it not a "commercial" copy, since I can't get anymore original than the Author. It like says Geos 2.0 is not an original software because it not GEOS 1.0 or Windows 7 isn't an original software because its not Windows 1.0

Last edited by Quantum Leaper; 06/02/11 06:43 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
QL: My point is exactly that we cannot conceive of what the problems may be 5 years in the future. Working on emulators has made me slightly paranoid on this stuff, even if I think Curt's being somewhat ridiculous in this instance. A working (if imperfect) dump of something always trumps having nothing at all in the hopes of perfection appearing. Thus my Apple II and IIgs softlists include plenty of cracked images in the first pass, and if bootable nibble images show up later I'll replace 'em.

Q
OP Offline
Q
RB:If you want a G64 (nib copy), I will send it to somebody to have them copy it, I just won't do it myself. I have over 25 years worth of experience using the C64/128, and have been using emulators since before Mame was around.

What I find really strange is Curt calling it, 'not a original', how much more original than the Author himself? I even update the other post, after thinking about it for a couple minutes. I would say there not a 'commercial' disks, since they were sold by the author out of his house in Canada.

C
C
I misunderstood that you were talking about a _copy_ made by the author, not something that he sold to you as an original.

You can send the disk to Pete Rittwage who runs the C64PP:

Quote:
* We will happily pay for postage to get any original disks you have to us! We will promptly image them and send them back to you.

http://c64preservation.com/dp.php?pg=home

Q
OP Offline
Q
Yes, it was copy made by the author and he told me to use backup disks, not the original disks, I did tell you that at least once, but it water under the bridge in my opinion. Lets just forget the argument we had. CMD or Click Here Software might have sold version 10 but I don't think they did, since most of the time they call it Power Assembler/Buddy or something like that. Mine only identifies itself at Buddy 64 or 128, even the disk label says Buddy 64 or 128, with a date (I think when Chris shipped it) and a number (serial?) on the label.

I will contact them and sent them the original disks, that I can dig up, I have 8 or 9 boxes of disks to go though. Some of the Geos stuff is interesting, since it is 3rd party stuff, I bought from the authors over the years. I just wish I could find the rest of the 1st party Geos software, I had nearly a complete collection and the only ones I ever used was the Boot disks, and that stopped with I got a FD2000 and GeosMakeBoot disk.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yash Anand, 1 invisible), 24 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,274
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com