Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: Haze] #72408
08/18/11 11:43 AM
08/18/11 11:43 AM
F
Firewave Offline
Firewave  Offline
F
Originally Posted By Haze
to be honest there seem to be some nasty issues at the moment, and I don't know if they're just related to some Windows drivers (Nvidia?) or a Windows patch, or something MAME is doing which is bad(tm)

Given that MESS==MAME, any such bug is going to cause the same issue in both applications.

Recently I've found that after about a days uptime, of using MAME often, launching, quitting, relaunching etc. it just stops working. It either refuses to accept any input on the 'press OK' screen (have to kill it) or exits straight out without any error message as soon as I attempt to launch it. Debug builds give just as little, can't backtrace, can't do anything, even inserting printfs isn't really very revealing.

I thought it was just my old Windows 7 install that was broken, but I've encountered the same issue just now on what is near enough a fresh install. It seems somehow connected to the cothreads stuff, which should be innocuous enough, but builds without it turned on still run. The only way to fix it is to reboot(!)

It's possible the same issue is manifesting itself in different ways for different people, given the recent issues with nvidia drivers crashing MAME outright on XP I'm wondering it the issue lies there, and it's just having side-effects over time on Win7, rather than causing a blue-screen, but I'm at a loss to really understand what's going on.

Either way, this is instability more akin to what I was used to seeing on Windows 95, not Win 7!

(and yes, the machine is fine, no heat issues, and I can leave it running memcheck for hours with no issues)

I have seen similar issues, but in a more complex scenario. When using VNC MAME did take keyboard input in the past, but it stopped working at some point (assumption was it had to do some input changes to the core, that caused the way VNC issues the inputs doen't work anymore). But recently I tried it again by accident and it was actually working. Until MAME bailed out with a fatalerror and then it wouldn't take any more inputs on the next try. This has been really weird and I am wondering, if MAME isn't properly cleaning up some input stuff, that might lead to this behavior.

Just to make it clear again, this is only the case when I use VNC to the machine where MAME is running on. I never had this problem locally.

Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: MikeAbson] #72461
08/18/11 11:03 PM
08/18/11 11:03 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Haze  Offline
Very Senior Member
H
It could be related.. Fatal Error handling is still hideously broken here, I don't get any of the actual 'fatalerror' messages, and MAME usually hangs for a while before bringing up an actual windows error dialog. When it stops working completely is usually after I've hit a few fatalerrors, so yeah, it could be somehow tied to something not actually being cleaned up properly (although W7 really should be better at handling that)

I've reported this before, and a reinstall of windows didn't change that at all, with the current build tools I simply get hard-crashes on fatalerror.

Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: MikeAbson] #72464
08/19/11 03:39 AM
08/19/11 03:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
M
MikeAbson Offline OP
MikeAbson  Offline OP
M
Melbourne, Australia
Hello all smile Sorry for the late reply here, I don't have much time during the week after work, but I've got today off, so plenty of time to mess around with MESS.

I have since installed v0143 as Luengo suggested and sure it enough it works fine. I have not tried QMC2 (never heard of it to be honest, but I found in through Google here), but I suspect if it worked for Luengo, it will probably work for me as well. I might give it a go later.

I was successfully able to install MS-DOS 6.22 using floppy disk images without a problem, so switching disks for me was no issue. The hard drive will also boot in to DOS as well without any issues.

The only two problems I run in to is getting the mouse and the sound card to work.

I can install a mouse driver, and DOS will tell me it was successfully loaded, but as soon as I type in a command or try to load a game, the cursor will just blink, nothing actually loads.

As far as the sound card goes, from what I've read MESS is emulating the Game Blaster / Sound Blaster 1.0? Since I couldn't find Sound Blaster 1.0 drivers, I tried the Sound Blaster 2.0 drivers thinking it might be backwards compatible, but the software tells me it can't find the hardware frown PC speaker works just fine for me though. Is it possible to get the sound card to work at all?

You guys have a done an amazing job of emulating the 286. Most of the games I tried run a bit slow due to requring a faster processor or at least a 386, but they run, and it's very impressive!

Also if anyone wants to see the crash details, I'll post them here later.

Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: MikeAbson] #72465
08/19/11 04:02 AM
08/19/11 04:02 AM
A
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Anna Wu  Offline
Very Senior Member
A
Quote:
The only two problems I run in to is getting the mouse and the sound card to work.

I can install a mouse driver, and DOS will tell me it was successfully loaded, but as soon as I type in a command or try to load a game, the cursor will just blink, nothing actually loads.

The mouse init problem is known. Something seems to broken because it was working before.

Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: Haze] #72558
08/20/11 10:11 PM
08/20/11 10:11 PM
F
Firewave Offline
Firewave  Offline
F
Originally Posted By Haze
It could be related.. Fatal Error handling is still hideously broken here, I don't get any of the actual 'fatalerror' messages, and MAME usually hangs for a while before bringing up an actual windows error dialog. When it stops working completely is usually after I've hit a few fatalerrors, so yeah, it could be somehow tied to something not actually being cleaned up properly (although W7 really should be better at handling that)

I've reported this before, and a reinstall of windows didn't change that at all, with the current build tools I simply get hard-crashes on fatalerror.

Well, that cleanup should be better since the switch to C++, since it will not just right out crash, but shutdown like you requested an exit. What I saw though was that a lot of memory was leaked/not cleared up when you hit the "X" instead of ESC, so there might be a path, that will lead to improper shutdowns.

Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: Anna Wu] #72566
08/21/11 05:31 AM
08/21/11 05:31 AM
Melbourne, Australia
M
MikeAbson Offline OP
MikeAbson  Offline OP
M
Melbourne, Australia
Anna, I'm yet to try any other version than v0.143, but the mouse works fine in Windows 3.1 and 3.1 with 3.11 update applied, and in DOS, except in Street Rod II where it seems to have a mind of it's own for some reason. I'm using CuteMouse 1.9 in DOS, and in Windows, have the mouse set to Genius serial mouse on COM1. By default Windows would have it set to Logitech mode, and the driver would fail causing Windows not to finish installing. Since changing it, it's worked fine ever since.

Last edited by MikeAbson; 08/21/11 05:31 AM.
Re: MESS Crash On Windows 7 x64 Using AMD x64 [Re: MikeAbson] #72567
08/21/11 05:58 AM
08/21/11 05:58 AM
A
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Anna Wu  Offline
Very Senior Member
A
Originally Posted By MikeAbson
Anna, I'm yet to try any other version than v0.143, but the mouse works fine in Windows 3.1 and 3.1 with 3.11 update applied, and in DOS, except in Street Rod II where it seems to have a mind of it's own for some reason. I'm using CuteMouse 1.9 in DOS, and in Windows, have the mouse set to Genius serial mouse on COM1. By default Windows would have it set to Logitech mode, and the driver would fail causing Windows not to finish installing. Since changing it, it's worked fine ever since.

I guess you are talking about the MESS0143b release.
Try a newer version like the last u3 . Maybe the mouse init problem caused since the ISA 16-bit IDE controller addition to the driver.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Vas Crabb, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,606
Posts112,516
Members4,827
Most Online296
Dec 5th, 2018