Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NES Input Lag issue #72764 08/26/11 09:13 PM
K
KJHawk Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Just to start off I would like to say that I think that MESS is an incredible project and I really appreciate the people who are working on it.

I was trying out a few of the main console emulators in MESS and noticed that the NES emulator has a distinct input lag when any one (or all) of these options are enabled:

waitvsync 1
syncrefresh
triplebuffer

This reminds me of the input lag issue that Nestopia (and ZSNES to a lesser extent) has when vsync is enabled. Didn't know if this is considered a bug or not or if it is something that is on the list of issues that need fixing. (I didn't see it in Bugzilla when I did a search)

The input lag becomes a noticable issue when you compare it to emulators that have no percievable lag such as Kega, MAME, Nintendulator or Ootake.

Anyways... just wanted to throw that out there to see if anyone knows about the issue.

Re: NES Input Lag issue [Re: KJHawk] #72765 08/26/11 09:15 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
MAME has the same lag with the same settings. In fact, running pc10 games in MAME you are using the same identical code paths.

>waitvsync 1
>syncrefresh

Both of these impose a 1 frame delay compared to real hardware. It's necessary to avoid tearing, but you can't have both same-frame response and no tearing on emulators.

>triplebuffer

This imposes a 2 frame delay, so of course it causes lag.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 08/26/11 09:16 PM.
Re: NES Input Lag issue [Re: R. Belmont] #72766 08/26/11 09:21 PM
K
KJHawk Offline OP
OP Offline
K
This is not true of the version of MAME that I am using... Haven't tested it on the latest build but I'm using 112 (just because it runs well). When I run the pc10 on this system (super mario bros. for instance) there is no percievable lag at all with vsync and/or triple buffer turned on. I'll try the latest MAME and see.

Re: NES Input Lag issue [Re: R. Belmont] #72767 08/26/11 09:26 PM
K
KJHawk Offline OP
OP Offline
K
>>waitvsync 1
>>syncrefresh
>
>Both of these impose a 1 frame delay compared to real hardware. >It's necessary to avoid tearing, but you can't have both same->frame response and no tearing on emulators.
>
>>triplebuffer
>
>This imposes a 2 frame delay, so of course it causes lag.

These are unfortunately the same kinds of responses that I have seen many times over when people bring up input lag but these 1 or 2 frame delays are not enough to make up for the amount of input lag that exists. Also, vsync is turned on in Kega, Ootake, MAME and Nintendulator so that there is no tearing and no percievable input lag at the same time.

I understand the logic of your response (and I have seen it many times before) but it does not explain the amount of input lag when compared to other emulators.

Re: NES Input Lag issue [Re: R. Belmont] #72860 08/30/11 04:01 PM
K
KJHawk Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ugh... my apologies, I moved all of my emulation onto a newer computer recently and everything is working better... even nestopia doesn't have as much lag. All of the Mess emulators are running very responsively.

Sorry for the red herring. Mess is awesome!

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (R. Belmont, RColtrane, 1 invisible), 172 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,722
Posts114,643
Members4,873
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019