Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
OP Offline
I
I own a very rare computer which is, as yet, not in MESS. I would be happy to send it to anyone in the MESSdev team for analysis and inclusion in MESS. It's the Hanimex Pencil II, and here's the info on it:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=136

The process of emulating it should be fairly straightforward, as it's basically a Colecovision with a keyboard.

I'm based in Australia. Happy to cover the shipping costs, within reason. I figure there are probably only 2-3 of these left in the world, and I don't want to see it disappear entirely. I *think* I also have some software for it.

I don't need it back.

BTW, I (somewhere) also have kept the EPROMs and service manual for the Philips P2200 "luggable" CP/M computer. The computer itself was a beast, and I didn't keep it, but the manuals contain the full schematics. I also have the software. Same offer applies for this, although the hardware is less interesting as it's yet another boring CP/M-80 system.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Interesting... why I did I never hear of this? The Hanimex brand is quite familiar of course, but not that computer.

I'm in Australia fwiw.

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Very interesting and rare computer. smile

S
S
The Pencil was probably intended to compete with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Aquarius

Colecovision vs. Intellivision = Aquarius vs. Hanimex Pencil

Never heard of the Pencil either but I remember magazine ads for the Aquarius at the time.

Both of them lost, by 1983/84 (in Denmark anyway) it was all ZX Spectrum/C64/Amstrad CPC 464.

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Originally Posted By Sune
The Pencil was probably intended to compete with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Aquarius

Colecovision vs. Intellivision = Aquarius vs. Hanimex Pencil

Never heard of the Pencil either but I remember magazine ads for the Aquarius at the time.

Both of them lost, by 1983/84 (in Denmark anyway) it was all ZX Spectrum/C64/Amstrad CPC 464.

Do not forget the Coleco Adam which was not really successful too. smile

I
OP Offline
I
Stupid me forgot to subscribe to this thread, so I didn't see the replies. My apologies, all.

So I acquired this Pencil II in either 1986 or 1987. At the time I was working for Grace Bros (a department store in Oz, now called Myer). We had a whole pallet of these going to the compactor to be destroyed, and I asked my boss if I could buy one for $5. He agreed. I also have some software (cassettes) for it somewhere, I think.

The photos above are exactly what I have, except I did also retain the original box, too. It's a bit beaten up after almost 25 years, but....

I really can't keep old stuff like this, but if someone can give it a good home (and moreso if someone can arrange it's porting to MESS), I'd be very happy.

M
M
Hi,

we are also interested in that Philips computer, is it P2000C model (http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/computer.asp?c=846) ?

Micko

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Grace Bros was a Sydney retail chain, so if you're still in Sydney I'd be happy to collect the stuff smile

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
No more news on this?

S
S
Hello to all! Sorry for necrothreading this, but I wanted to know exactly the amount of hardware/software revolving around the pencil 2:

I know of a coleco emulator and of 2 native games (secret garden and that diver game). Might anyone have more info? this seems to be one of the systems with the fewest games I've ever seen (fewer even than the aquarius or the french EXL100).

Thanks for your imput.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 25 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,837
Posts116,230
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020