Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
I am having trouble compiling MESS. I've successfully built the last three integer releases without any issues.

2009 iMac - 2.8 Quad i7
SL 10.6.8
XCode 3.2.6
SDL 12.1.15

I initially had trouble with both SDLMAME and SDLMESS and recieved the same error in both:

Quote:
ld: warning: in obj/sdl/libflac.a, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

There is a thread about this in the SDLMAME forum that suggested compiling with a PTR64=1 flag.

I did this and successfully built MAME64, then tried the same the for SDLMESS, running 'make clean' first.

Now I get this error:

Quote:
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
src/emu/video/pc_vga.c: In function ‘void vga_mem_w(address_space*, offs_t, UINT8)’:
src/emu/video/pc_vga.c:708: warning: ‘res’ may be used uninitialized in this function
src/emu/video/pc_vga.c:708: note: ‘res’ was declared here
src/emu/video/pc_vga.c:708: warning: ‘res’ may be used uninitialized in this function
src/emu/video/pc_vga.c:731: warning: ‘res’ may be used uninitialized in this function
src/emu/video/pc_vga.c:731: note: ‘res’ was declared here
make: *** [obj/sdl64/emu/video/pc_vga.o] Error 1

Any ideas?

Just noticed weird characters in my post. If a clean cut and paste will help, I'll compile again.

Last edited by Lewis Woolridge; 02/14/12 11:55 AM.
I just got it to build over here on a Mac Pro 1,1 w/OS 10.7.2. I ran into the flac errors as well, but like MAME64 I just uncommented the PTR64=1 line in the makefile and reran it..

L
OP Offline
L
I tried to compile both ways, with the PTR64=1 flag as well as uncommenting the line in the makefile.

That appears to have solved the FLAC problem, but now I am dealing with another problem as detailed in my first post.

Any ideas?

L
OP Offline
L
I was finally able to compile by changing the optimize setting to 0.

What does this mean? Is my build 'lite'?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I hate to lose the ability to build MESS and I am not knowledgable enough to figure it out on my own. Thanks!

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
0.145 is not compatible with your specific combination of OS X and Xcode. It happens; my current test machines are a G5 running 10.5.8 with Xcode 3.2 and a Core 2 Duo Mini running 10.7.3 with the latest Xcode 4. Other combinations (notably anything Intel with Xcode 3) seem to have an entirely different set of what the compiler bitches about and so there may be occasional compile problems there. You can alleviate many minor compile problems by adding NOWERROR=1 to the 'make' command (e.g. type "make NOWERROR=1" without the quotes). On systems with the FLAC problem, "make PTR64=1 NOWERROR=1" would work.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks very much for your answer. Glad to know that it is a known problem and isn't something I will need to track down further.

Just to clarify for the future - if I compile with the NOWERROR=1 flag, is my binary still gonna be "complete"?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Yes. NOWERROR only suppresses non-fatal errors; if there's something *really* wrong the compile will still fail even with it.

S
S
r14480 stops when compiling ldresample. Clean compile, NOWERROR=1

Code:
Compiling src/tools/ldresample.c...
src/tools/ldresample.c: In function ‘chd_file* open_chd(const char*, movie_info*)’:
src/tools/ldresample.c:201: error: ‘CHD_OPEN_READ’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:201: error: ‘chd_open’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:204: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:209: error: ‘chd_get_metadata’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:212: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:213: error: ‘chd_close’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:221: error: ‘chd_close’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:228: error: ‘chd_get_header’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c: In function ‘chd_file* create_chd(const char*, chd_file*, const movie_info*)’:
src/tools/ldresample.c:249: error: expected initializer before ‘*’ token
src/tools/ldresample.c:254: error: ‘srcheader’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:254: error: ‘CHDCOMPRESSION_AV’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:254: error: ‘chd_create’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:257: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:262: error: ‘CHD_OPEN_READWRITE’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:262: error: ‘chd_open’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:265: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:270: error: ‘chd_clone_metadata’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:273: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:274: error: ‘chd_close’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:279: error: ‘chd_compress_begin’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:282: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c: In function ‘int read_chd(chd_file*, UINT32, movie_info*, UINT32)’:
src/tools/ldresample.c:296: error: ‘av_codec_decompress_config’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:296: error: expected `;' before ‘avconfig’
src/tools/ldresample.c:300: error: ‘avconfig’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:307: error: ‘AV_CODEC_DECOMPRESS_CONFIG’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:307: error: ‘chd_codec_config’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:310: error: ‘chd_read’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c: In function ‘int write_chd(chd_file*, UINT32, movie_info*)’:
src/tools/ldresample.c:324: error: ‘av_codec_compress_config’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:324: error: expected `;' before ‘avconfig’
src/tools/ldresample.c:328: error: ‘avconfig’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:335: error: ‘AV_CODEC_COMPRESS_CONFIG’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:335: error: ‘chd_codec_config’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:338: error: ‘chd_compress_hunk’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c: In function ‘void create_close_chd(chd_file*)’:
src/tools/ldresample.c:354: error: ‘chd_compress_finish’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:356: error: ‘chd_error_string’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c:358: error: ‘chd_close’ was not declared in this scope
src/tools/ldresample.c: In function ‘void close_chd(chd_file*, movie_info*)’:
src/tools/ldresample.c:370: error: ‘chd_close’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [obj/sdl64/tools/ldresample.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

How do i compile MESS without compiling the tools?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I don't know, my standard compile never builds the tools. You're doing something weird.

If you are forced to build all of it for whatever reason - use the -k switch to continue past the errors and compile all that it can.
Those two tools, LDRESAMPLE and LDVERIFY will not build on any platform currently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Olivier Galibert, Pernod), 24 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,651
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com