Print Thread
Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38
Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: Curt Coder] #77670 02/23/12 07:59 PM
A
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Also I suggest not to use clrmamepro at moment because too much bios sets will be excluded.

Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: qmc2] #77674 02/23/12 08:41 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By qmc2
Sure, we'll have to wait... and please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just giving feedback to get "back in business" soon smile.

I'd like to have everything back in working state as soon as possible too. problem is that I only handled the code for -lx, so I'm not sure the reason Micko had for the specific changes to -verifyroms. I agree that it could be handy to verify device roms, though. so it would be nice to add that back. smile

OTOH, concerning -lx output, I have just tried an old version and non runnable devices (e.g. c1541) could not be passed as arguments with the old code either, so for -lx there has been no changes nor inconsistencies added.
and I still believe that there is not much point to run "mess c1541 -lx" given that you cannot run c1541 by its own. wink

Originally Posted By Anna Wu
Also I suggest not to use clrmamepro at moment because too much bios sets will be excluded.

care to give a report about these? Micko was fully aware of a few devices (e.g. Mac keyboard) are now not appearing in -lx but this is because no driver actually uses them.
we are planning to hook them up somewhere so that romsets don't get lost, but no system needs them (or the new code would catch them)

are there bios which are necessary and not listed?

Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: etabeta78] #77675 02/23/12 08:45 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By etabeta78

care to give a report about these? Micko was fully aware of a few devices (e.g. Mac keyboard) are now not appearing in -lx but this is because no driver actually uses them.
we are planning to hook them up somewhere so that romsets don't get lost, but no system needs them (or the new code would catch them)

are there bios which are necessary and not listed?

I've always thought it would be nice one day if MAME / MESS gained the ability to emulate individual components / devices, possibly for use by external circuit simulation software running an instance of just an emulated device (or in some cases working with real hardware)

it seems like these changes are a step *away* from that tho?

Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: etabeta78] #77676 02/23/12 08:49 PM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Originally Posted By etabeta78
OTOH, concerning -lx output, I have just tried an old version and non runnable devices (e.g. c1541) could not be passed as arguments with the old code either, so for -lx there has been no changes nor inconsistencies added.
and I still believe that there is not much point to run "mess c1541 -lx" given that you cannot run c1541 by its own. wink

-listxml is no longer my major concern, I can cope with how it currently works, though I still DO think it would be nice to get individual -lx info on any machine, be it runnable or not.

I mainly meant that -verifyroms should (actually, "must") handle <machine>'s with isdevice="yes" in the same way as "normal" sets, and that's how it definitely worked before.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: Curt Coder] #77677 02/23/12 08:52 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
What exactly do these changes change, and what was the intent?

Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: Curt Coder] #77678 02/23/12 09:04 PM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
etabeta78 explained the changes and their intent here: http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=77594#Post77594

The -verifyroms changes are follow-ups, I suppose...

Last edited by qmc2; 02/23/12 09:06 PM.

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: R. Belmont] #77684 02/23/12 09:49 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
What exactly do these changes change, and what was the intent?

I had explained it on the mailing list last night, complete with a link to the discussion linked by qmc2 as an usage example

point is that Micko picked up the basic idea to completely remove the need of a separate list of drivers (mame_dev.lst/mess_dev.lst). this second bunch of changes is what has produced some unwanted side effect, though. we have fixed a bunch of them, but some are still there frown
in particular, -verifyroms has lost the capability of checking device roms separately from the set which uses them (verifying the romset, otoh, correctly checks device roms too)

Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: Curt Coder] #77718 02/24/12 07:26 AM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
update: all devices roms are verified despite the error reported by some like c64_ieee488!

so the code was ok, it was just the wrong message getting displayed at the end (because that device has no roms and the counter for verified devices was only increased when devices had roms, since previously only rom-equipped devices were supposed to be checked wink )

please retest with latest svn

EDIT: there is still the difference between the full -verifyroms report and the single set -verifyroms, but I have no time this morning to check what is the culprit (probably it's just the original code not expecting to have to check no-roms devices). hope to find a fix tonight smile

EDIT2: Rene could you check if the same difference in the output you got for iq151_basic6 was also present in older versions with no-roms drivers like nes and a2600? that would help me in the search for the issue

EDIT3: Ok, got it, no need for testing.
The problem is that iq151_basic6 and a few more devices have a rom region to load the cart data, but do not have an internal rom. so the code tries to check the rom (so it prints "romset iq151_basic6"), but then it finds none and does not complete the output... if Micko does not add a fix, I will later tonight.
Thanks for spotting these!

Last edited by etabeta78; 02/24/12 07:44 AM.
Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: Curt Coder] #77719 02/24/12 08:51 AM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
eta, I'm at work right now and about 170 km away from home... will test again tonight! But thanks for the fixes beforehand smile. QMC2 probably still needs a little patch to correctly interpret some of the changed -verifyroms outputs.

Re: The new SVN commenting thread [Re: Curt Coder] #77721 02/24/12 12:59 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
in the meanwhile, Micko has added proper fixes for (supposedly all) -verifyroms issues.

part of my fixes were ok, part were still not covering *all* cases... luckily our coordinator is always ready to answer SOS requests wink

please report any other issue which qmc2 reports, so that we can see if it's a bug or not smile

Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pernod), 179 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,722
Posts114,633
Members4,873
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019