Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 116 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 115 116
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Sorry for not showing up earlier... I've been sick laying in bed during the last 4-5 days, but start feeling better now wink.

@ASH: I didn't say your idea is a non starter smile... it's just not what I was planning to do. However, as I haven't started changing anything with regard to it yet, I think I could take this into account, i.e. by providing sub-categories and different views within favorites. That is, on one page you would add your favorite games/machines and be able to setup your personal categories for them (that's basically what I originally intended), on a second page you could add device- or software-favorites... and both could be provided in at least two different views: in a "tree" and in a "grid". How about that?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
ASH Offline
Originally Posted By qmc2
How about that?

Sounds good to me. Thanks.

ASH Offline
I don't know if this is possible but I think there should be an option to run a script with the software list that will load software on computers automatically.

for E.G.
I grew up with a ZX81,Spectrum,Sam Cˇupe,Amiga,PC then consoles (snes,n64 etc)

so for me loading software into the ZX Spectrum is a breeze press 'J' then 'Symbol Shift' and 'P' twice <enter>....this would give LOAD "" <enter>

BUT to load a game off a microdrive needed 'RUN' which was the 'R' key (and that was the boot option) if you needed a different file loading it would require something like this...

LOAD *"m";1;"program name"

even I had to look that up and I had a ZX Spectrum with Microdive (26 years ago)

so a script that would know what software needed which commands to get it running.

Running software on a system that I have never seen would be impossible if there is no help

and most people will give up if LOAD "" fails.

people could contribute scripts for system software and over time any game could be automatically loaded and used without knowing about every system in MESS.

of course this option could be disabled for people that like the old way of doing things.

Even if Mess has to change to accept this. I think it will be a step forward.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Hmmm, that would require to (first record, then) playback an input file... it's theoretically also possible to do simulated input, but despite its peculiarities it's a platform dependent thing (which I want to avoid). I do this on X11 platforms in one case, namely to auto-pause embedded emulators, but it's not nice.

EDIT: perhaps a better idea would be to somehow (optionally) include the required inputs to start the software in software-lists, and adding an option to MAME/MESS to execute it?!

Last edited by qmc2; 11/17/12 08:24 PM.

ASH Offline
Quote:
perhaps a better idea would be to somehow (optionally) include the required inputs to start the software in software-lists, and adding an option to MAME/MESS to execute it?!

Yes, that might be better and QMC2 can then send this info to MESS if needed (or turn the option on in MESS if needed)
I suppose it would be like the copy paste function with a few delays for the system to start up.

Do you think the team would accept this?

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
If 'someone' made a clean patch, perhaps smile. However, inp files contain binary data, which may be terrible to include in the XML...

Hmmm, reviving my long-standing idea of adding some IPC functionality to MAME/MESS, i.e. in the form of a telnet-like console (connection), it would even be possible to add a 'simulate-key' command or so... this would allow doing this stuff in a platform independent way. I actually talked to Micko a while back about the 'console server' idea, offering to add a patch at some point, and his answer basically was: as long as it doesn't cause any slowdowns or other issues to the emulation and doesn't impose any additional requirements, well, why not smile?

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
BTW, before someone asks... work has been started in the background to eventually also support emulator embedding on Mac OS X! Thanks go to our new development team member Mario Sergio.

ASH Offline
Are there plans to add some HLSL templates (preset's) in qmc2?

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Not really, but when you have those presets in the form of .ini files they can already easily be imported (loaded) wink!

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Also, regarding HLSL presets themselves I think that the MAME/MESS/UME source distribution is a better place.

Page 6 of 116 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 115 116

Moderated by  qmc2 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Belmont, Dorando), 25 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,251
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com