Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini #86120 02/25/13 09:14 AM
D
Dr.Venom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi,

I'm breaking this out of the Genesis regression thread, because this is a) not about genesis only, and b) there may be various different issues at play in the Genesis regression thread that may muddle things too much.

This thread will take on a single and reproducible error.

Problem
---------
MESS crashes when loading a cartridge from ini. (Via # IMAGE DEVICES Cartridge.)

Affected Systems:
---------------------
Genesis, NES, C64

Gameboy and Gameboy Color might be affected by the same issue, but since these drivers do not crash in the same way as genesis, c64 and nes do, I would like to leave them out of this thread. This is to keep focus in this thread on a single and reproducible issue, resulting in same type error. Hopefully being of benefit to MAMEdevs in squashing this nasty bug. Note that the following cartridge systems have also been tested but they are not affected: a2600, coleco, videopac, odyssey2, g7400, sms1, snes, pce, msx2, jaguar.

Bug introduced in:
---------------------
0148u1 (last official version without the issue is 0148. Some of the early SVN 0148u1 releases are also without the issue).

Tested on:
-------------
Windows 7 64-bit using MESS latest SVN.

5 Steps to Reproduce (NES example)
-------------------------------------------

1) Delete mess.ini and delete nes.ini
2) From command shell create a new mess.ini "mess.exe -cc"
3) Open mess.ini and enable writeconfig: "writeconfig = 1"
4) Start a nes game from command shell specifying "-cart" option with either fullpath or softlistname. Example:
"mess.exe nes -cart "path to game\game.nes". The game will succesfully run. Quit mess. A "nes.ini" will be written to your ini path. Check that the nes.ini is in the ini path and that it contains your previous specified cartridge. In my example in contains

Code:
#
# SLOT DEVICES
#
nes_slot                  

#
# IMAGE DEVICES
#
cartridge                 "q:\Software\nes\Roms\Akumajou Densetsu (Japan).zip\Akumajou Densetsu (Japan).nes"

5. Now to the step that produces the crash. The cartridge is specified in the ini and available in the path so we should be able to conveniently load it by starting the nes from command shell by typing:

"mess.exe nes".

Unfortunately this crashes the emulation. Loading a cartridge in this way for genesis and c64c makes them crash in a similar way.

Firewave has confirmed the Genesis driver crashing by following the same procedure. His analysis is the following:

Originally Posted By Firewave
Can reproduce.

base_md_cart_slot_device::get_default_card_software() is fetching the "cartridge" value from the emu_options, but it is empty for some reason, so nothing is loaded, which causes it to bail out later. So the problem seems to be in the order of things in emu_options::parse_slot_devices().

Hopefully one of the MAMEdevs is able to fix this issue.

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 02/25/13 09:18 AM.
Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Dr.Venom] #86121 02/25/13 10:19 AM
L
LoganB Offline
L
I can say that the nes and the c64 bug (for me) does not occur using Windows 7 32-bit using MESS latest SVN. I have tried using a .nes file (for the nes driver) and the softwarelist (for both), and neither crash MESS.

However, the error does occur for me when using the genesis driver, both when using the softwarelist and a .gen file.

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Dr.Venom] #86167 02/26/13 08:32 PM
J
judge Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
Try latest svn please.

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: judge] #86177 02/26/13 11:19 PM
D
Dr.Venom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Latest svn fixes the issue for me with the Genesis, NES, GameBoy and Gameboy Color drivers, thanks judge smile

Only affected system remaining (for me at least) is cartridge loading via ini for the c64c driver.

The genesis/megadriv drivers do log some extra values upon starting, but I guess you're already aware of these (they seem to have no influence on running the emulation).

Code:
Driver 32x (file megadriv.c): 1 errors, 0 warnings
Errors:
   Software lists device ':cart_list': Multiple devices with the same tag ':cart_list' defined

Driver 32x_scd (file megadriv.c): 1 errors, 0 warnings
Errors:
   Software lists device ':cart_list': Multiple devices with the same tag ':cart_list' defined

Driver 32xj (file megadriv.c): 1 errors, 0 warnings
Errors:

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Dr.Venom] #86192 02/27/13 07:08 AM
J
judge Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
I think I know how to fix the c64 issue. It is not 'walking' through all the options when loading through an ini file while it is when starting by command line. I thought that wouldn't be needed since all the options had been parsed by that time. I guess I was wrong wink

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Dr.Venom] #86194 02/27/13 07:46 AM
Kaylee Offline
Originally Posted By Dr.Venom

The genesis/megadriv drivers do log some extra values upon starting, but I guess you're already aware of these (they seem to have no influence on running the emulation).

Code:
Errors:

Errors:

Errors:
This could be a side effect of this change: http://mame.dorando.at/svn/?rev=21449.

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: judge] #86195 02/27/13 08:07 AM
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By judge
Try latest svn please.

Hi Judge, These systems are all working for me now. At first NES crashed again, but it turned out the cart currently loaded caused 'Unimplemented mapper 253'. Trying another cart worked fine.

The letter truncation is still there, I'll try the patch you sent.

Good work! smile

EDIT: well, actually a different bug shows up now, but only for the c64 and clones. After running it, it adds the word 'standard' after 'exp' in the ini file. Running it again produces the error that 'standard' is an invalid option for 'exp'.

So, effectively, the c64 is unusable.

Last edited by Robbbert; 02/27/13 08:32 AM.
Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Kaylee] #86209 02/27/13 01:54 PM
F
Firewave Offline
F
Originally Posted By Kaylee
Originally Posted By Dr.Venom

Code:
Errors:

Errors:

Errors:
This could be a side effect of this change: http://mame.dorando.at/svn/?rev=21449.

Sorry about that. Has been reverted.

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Dr.Venom] #86218 02/27/13 07:40 PM
J
judge Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
Ok, I guess I was wrong about the fix for c64.

It's another case of the initial errors described in the previous genesis thread.

Re: MESS crashes when loading cartridge from ini [Re: Dr.Venom] #86220 02/27/13 09:42 PM
J
judge Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
c64 should now also work

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Carbon), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,734
Posts114,829
Members4,879
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020