Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
OP Offline
I
Nice, there's a lot of redumps in there... but why that naming method? I guess the chip names have been lost in the process?

In any case, I can use it to verify all my Retrode dumps and rename them accordingly once I open the cases, thank you very much!

LCD artwork scans and cleanups: https://mega.nz/#F!uFYSzK7S!U-lJon9jsqyoCX_3y7_KLA
Sunbeam #86729 03/11/13 10:48 PM
S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
Originally Posted By Sunbeam
I did already lots of redumps and provide a DAT for true raw-dumps on my website.

http://retroshock.bplaced.net/mdg.html#manufacturercodes
Manufacturer codes on chips?
SY is possibly Synertek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synertek
NEC's prefix is usually uPD/UPD/PD or possibly even D (though the uP/UP/P are simply being truncated in this case).

S
S
@ICEknight: Don't worry, nothing is lost. The db contains everything including label and PCB type etc. The naming is just for usability with current emulators that use single file dumps.

@Stiletto: Thanks for the hint, I'll check it out. I had Sanyo or Sony in mind. I only got one -SY ROM so far that looks like a Sharp one ... it could be a typo.

The NEC-uPD-prefixes including most part numbers are completly stripped from the labeling. For the next site update I already replaced it with "NEC (Sxx, Txx, Wxx coding after serial number)". It's pretty easy to spot smile

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
it's in the work. I've been busy with snes (and real life) in the past week, which is why I haven't replied to your PM. I should be back to megadrive soon smile

I
OP Offline
I
So I see that adding Sunbeam's afforts to the current Mega Drive softlist would make the number of properly documented games up to around 500, and I'm also seeing there's also been a lot done in regards to documenting SNES proper dumps (more than 1000?).

I'd say that's pretty encouraging! Is the SNES stuff still actively being done today? Are any other systems like the Game Boy or Master System being worked on as well, "in the shadows"?

Speaking of verifying dumps, do you guys know if there's any program that would allow me to convert my regular MD and SNES/SFC Retrode dumps into these split ROMs?

I've dumped more than 150 games from my collection and such a thing would certainly help checking for missing redumps that people like me could help with.

LCD artwork scans and cleanups: https://mega.nz/#F!uFYSzK7S!U-lJon9jsqyoCX_3y7_KLA
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
SNES is continuously updated by ReadOnly
I'm currently merging the info from sunbeam for MD and (slowly) the info from bootgod for NES
For other consoles there is simply no one feeding the necessary info

L
L
Mind if I add the chip info for gameboy/colour/advance using the no-intro pcb images? (been working on it "in the shadows" wink )

I would add the chip info to the n64 list, but I have done some research, and I feel that the dumps should be big endian. This is because not only the cpu was big/little endian, but byteswapped, AFAIK, was designed for it to load faster in emulators. There was an article on Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131449/bringing_dr_jones_to_the_infernal_.php) from the porters of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, in which they said that the N64 (and GCN) uses big-endian "although it's possible to change the MIPS4300i CPU's endianess, it would require a new operating system, which wasn't feasible at the time." Currently GoodN64, TOSEC, and Zapatabase all use big endian, while No-Intro is the only one using byteswapped.

Also, why are there leftover hsi softlists from earlier mess versions, when there are replacement xmls?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any front.

BTW: In the SNES list, the Wizap! prototype was redumped by snescentral, and the commented out dump is the right one.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Logan: The standard for EPROM readers/programmers is that chips wider than 8 bits are saved as little-endian, and MAME/MESS put up with that to facilitate easy repairs of real PCBs. (I don't necessarily personally agree with it, but it was decided, it's consistent, and it's easy).

In the case of the N64, the ROMs are read serially and I have no idea what order they come out in.

LoganB #86766 03/12/13 10:30 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By LoganB
Mind if I add the chip info for gameboy/colour/advance using the no-intro pcb images? (been working on it "in the shadows" wink )

Excellent! Something was telling me that at least the Game Boy couldn't have been that ignored in this regard. smile

By the way, if there's any plans in further classifying Game Boy releases, I've already tested all the games I've come across (one by one, using different emulators when they didn't seem to work) and sorted them into the following categories:

• Game Boy
  • Game Boy + Super Game Boy
  • Game Boy + Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy + Super Game Boy + Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Color

(I didn't include the Nintendo Power releases, though)

I can make lists of these if they will help in any way.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By LoganB

You're welcome, just be sure to follow the current standard when you use the <feature> tags. Check snes.xml smile
For the record, I had tried to use those images but the few I had checked were a bit blurry not allowing to read the chip markings. I might have tried some old one, though...

Originally Posted By ICEknight
By the way, if there's any plans in further classifying Game Boy releases, I've already tested all the games I've come across (one by one, using different emulators when they didn't seem to work) and sorted them into the following categories:

no. we won't split further the lists because it makes not much sense from the hardware point of view.
GB and GBC carts which are not SGB-enhanced can still be inserted in a SGB unit, so it makes no sense to artificially split them
on the other hand, we might add this as a compatibility filter eventually.

for the record, we already partially document in the lists this kind of compatibility in comments (check the xml), so if you find any inaccuracy I'd be interested to fix them

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Kale, ssj, 1 invisible), 27 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,651
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com