Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Lately MESS has made huge progress on systems completely obscure like the hanimex pencil 2 (many thanks to all implied... I'm after the carts so as to try to contribute dumps). However, perhaps this one might make you remember a few things:

does anyone remember the venerable HMG 7900 with it's 10 or so games?

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=696&st=2

this one uses some pretty peculiar hardware (I one read back in the day that efforts were made to dump components, I've no idea if they met success or not).
Might anyone in the mess project have those items in their collection?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
As far as I know there are no dumps and the "system" is a one-off custom chip, so emulation is strongly unlikely.

S
OP Offline
S
It could be just a simple variation of an otherwise standard chip to act as an all-in-one custom board (nec has often done this), not to mention that atypical hardware has already been preserved through emulation (take the tms 7041 of the excelvision for instance), so i hope that perhaps at some point it could have it's chances...

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I didn't say "impossible", merely "strongly unlikely". If someone could buy one with some cartridges and send it to e.g. Kevtris or something we could get a better read on what's going on with it.

S
OP Offline
S
The carts themselves are extremely rare but I'm trying to dig up a few things...

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By starlord
Lately MESS has made huge progress on systems completely obscure like the hanimex pencil 2 (many thanks to all implied... I'm after the carts so as to try to contribute dumps).

I'd certainly like to see some dumps of carts besides the one we have (SD-BASIC 2.0).

S
OP Offline
S
Many thanks for your outstanding work on the pencil, sir!

preminary reports suggest that 2 gaming cards exist (mousetrap and the diver game). A possible third game has been reported: le jardin secret (the secret garden) but this remains to be confirmed. It would seem that pencil owners would have to buy the coleco atapter to enjoy a lengthly collection of games.
as far as cassetes are concerned, situation is unknown, but reports suggest the existence of a demonstration cassette given along with the comp.

the my silicium french community (which has worked on the excelvision) possess the pencil carts it seems and could possibly attempt a dump. Could you give me specifics on the basic cart? Was it close to a coleco cart? Was it a new format? Was it dumped easily?

also, since you happen to be in australia, would you have happened to hear of the haminex hmg 7900? Should you find one on your path, it would be interesting to keep.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I haven't heard of the HMG7900, but i didn't take much notice of the avalanche of new computers at the time. My interest then was hacking CB radios.

I've never possessed a coleco cart, so couldn't really say, but i think the slot is supposed to be the same size.

I've got 6 demo tapes that came with the computer, but i haven't been able to get cassette loading to work as yet.

There should also be a SD-BASIC 1.0 cart around somewhere in the world.

The Basic cart I have, has 2x 2764 ROMS and a 2732 ROM. No tricks, nothing special. I dumped everything by connecting the printer port to my Super-80 and writing a program to transfer everything over. From the Super-80 I then saved it to a 386 pc, then to a floppy disk, then to this pc for uploading.

S
OP Offline
S
My searches on the basic 1 have come unconclusive. I suspect that like the alleged pencil 1 they don't exist commercially (maybe they are protos that got refurbished...)
do you have the possibility of dumping the cassett thank you for the cassettes?
thank you for the cart info. Very useful. I'll pass it around.

regarding the hmg 7900 it's actually a console (see the link) of the soundic family.around 10 carts exist.

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (AJR, Pernod), 33 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,921
Posts117,205
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com