Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 116 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 115 116
Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: qmc2] #88231 05/07/13 04:29 PM
A
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
For my personal use I like to have the different launcher variants in different folder(s) + own config path(s). smile

Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: qmc2] #88232 05/07/13 04:29 PM
R
remax Offline
R
Originally Posted By qmc2
You're on Windows, so it doesn't "hurt" you so much, but POSIX OSs often use different folders for data and binaries of a package... and the data directory option represents the base location of QMC2's data files (there's a bit more to it with regard to package creation scripts, but I guess that's enough for an explanation wink ).

Yeah, but as every subfolder is specified in the config menu, i don't see the point of having a "general folder setting"... I am under the impression that it would make no difference if i specify any folder.

Those are Windows-specific options, BTW... Anna, Kaylee (and others) wanted the freedom to put the different QMC2 variants in separate folders... as per default, QMC2's "variant launcher" on Windows assumes that all three variants are installed in the same folder (which is recommended, BTW), but if not, you have to specify their locations through these options (only if you're even going to use the "variant launcher", of course).

Okay, so that's qmc2 related... I thought it was Mame/Mess/UME related and didn't understood.

Last edited by remax; 05/07/13 04:30 PM.
Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: Anna Wu] #88233 05/07/13 04:32 PM
R
remax Offline
R
Originally Posted By Anna Wu
For my personal use I like to have the different launcher variants in different folder + own config path. smile

Well, to check data with Clrmame, it's better to already have separated Mame and Mess data folders... so i really see the point of having separated launcher variants folder...

... even if it's not how i have QMC2 configurated at the moment.

Last edited by remax; 05/07/13 04:33 PM.
Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: Shideravan] #88234 05/07/13 04:39 PM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
The QMC2 installation can live completely independent from the MAME and MESS installations, so there's actually no use in separating the variants, but it's also a matter of taste...

Regarding the data dir option... well, you're not completely wrong with what you're saying wink , but I recall there's been a reason for an individual option, at least on UNIX/Linux and/or in the past... will check if it's still required, I've forgotten the details (it's a rather old option, and QMC2 meanwhile is 7 years old smile!).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: qmc2] #88235 05/07/13 04:41 PM
A
Anna Wu Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
...(it's a rather old option, and QMC2 meanwhile is 7 years old smile!).

The Seven Year Itch ; )

Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: Shideravan] #88236 05/07/13 04:42 PM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
LOL -- or it's the "magical number seven" smile!

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: qmc2] #88237 05/07/13 04:45 PM
R
remax Offline
R
The QMC2 installation can live completely independent from the MAME and MESS installations, so there's actually no use in separating the variants, but it's also a matter of taste...

Yeah, but i am not talking about MAME/MESS installations, but about their data folder in QMC2 where you store flyers, snaps and co.

I really like the idea to store everything frontend related in this folder, but if you want to be able to easily check files with Clrmame, you can't mix MESS and MAME files in one folder (even if i think it wouldn't be a problem from the QMC2 POV), so you have to create separate data folders for mess and mame. And when you are at this point, it's not illogical to consider having completely separate QMC-Mame and QMC-Mess folders (that way you can keep the QMC2 folder settings at defaut instead of having to change them for each variant).

That was my point. But having the variants in the same folder is what i have now and it works well. It only asks for a little bit of configuration at first start (or when like me, you have to start over cause you have formatted your drive by mystake :p)

Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: Shideravan] #88238 05/07/13 04:50 PM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Well, I keep my MAME and MESS "data" installations (ROMs, samples, images etc.) in separate folders, not even near QMC2 itself... the data/* folders are just defaults, and probably not suitable for sources from multiple emulators... so again, you're free to do it the way you prefer.

Regarding your harddisk: @$#! -- glad you got it all set up again smile

Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: Shideravan] #88261 05/08/13 09:22 AM
Pernod Online Content
Online Content
When on the Configuration tab of a machine that supports multiple bios the dropdown contains the internal names of each biosset. Wouldn't it be more user friendly to use description in the list rather than name?

An example in MESS is ZX Spectrum, many biosset including 'plus4' with description 'ZX Spectrum +4'.

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.
Re: Questions, suggestions or requests topic [Re: Shideravan] #88262 05/08/13 10:21 AM
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Yes, that should be possible...

EDIT: it's actually more complicated than expected, but I'm nearly there smile.

Last edited by qmc2; 05/08/13 11:14 AM.

Page 33 of 116 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 115 116

Moderated by  qmc2 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 130 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,675
Posts113,813
Members4,859
Most Online418
Aug 14th, 2019